What's got you flummoxed today?

8,144 posts in this topic

My daughter had a flat tyre last week in Austria that wasn’t repairable with the repair kit.  Thankfully, she was covered by our ADAC membership and the car was towed to a garage and left there until the Monday when the tyre was replaced. She’s since gone to her local Toyota garage where I had sent her winter tyres to for exchange. They were astounded how nonsensical the tyre repair was in Austria. They had replaced the broken summer tyre with a winter one. Oh well, it’ll be a while now until all that needs sorting.

At the supermarket checkout, I asked for the key to the WC.

'They're closed, as some tried to set them on fire' was the reply...

WTF is wrong with Schleswig-Holstein ??

The excuse given to me was they were closed because of Covid. This is a place that has a small cafe attached and I assumed like the UK, if they serve food and drinks they had to have a customer toilet. Didn't help me because the medication I took at the time gave me sudden Diarrhea.

Oh shit. So what happened ? On second thoughts, dont answer that. But how did you get home ???

They closed the boys toilets at my daughter s school a few weeks ago following mindless acts of petty vandalism. Surprised it was legal actually. Probably wasn t. But who has the time and bloody-mindedness to pursue it ?

I became very adept at mind over matter, left my wife there, jumped in the car zoomed back home and made it before I made a mess everywhere. Sometimes the cure is worse than the illness.

Important lesson in life….when you think you heard your cat puke twice and only found one puke…there IS definitely another one somewhere. Beware of vacuuming under bed without surveying the area for cat puke first! Now had to take vacuum apart to clean and disinfect! Gross! 🤢🐈‍⬛

Flummoxed that my 18 year old cat, who was starving herself earlier in the year due to apparent loss of smell and later accepted only the fish varietes, which she could smell, is now eating EVERY variety of cat food there is. She had also stopped eating the dry food, which now has become very acceptable again. She's eating like a horse. My vet is also flummoxed. Of course, I'm glad. 

Maybe she had long covid and is finally feeling better ?

Emkay, the trick with cat vom is to have caught hubby on the back foot the night before :ph34r: so that he is the one sheepishly doing the clean-up the next morning ... see if you can have a word with the cat for next time...:D...

34 minutes ago, bramble said:

Flummoxed that my 18 year old cat, who was starving herself earlier in the year due to apparent loss of smell and later accepted only the fish varietes, which she could smell, is now eating EVERY variety of cat food there is. She had also stopped eating the dry food, which now has become very acceptable again. She's eating like a horse. My vet is also flummoxed. Of course, I'm glad. 

Cheers!

Cats Eating GIFs | Tenor

23 minutes ago, optimista said:

Maybe she had long covid and is finally feeling better ?

It's a mystery. She wasn't even sick. Her bloodwork was tippy toppy as the vet said. 

11 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Cheers!

Cats Eating GIFs | Tenor

Haha. Yes, that's Maja, though she's as skinny as hell. Always has been. The only sign of old age is that she no longer cleans herself. Fur is matted and knotted and I have had to have her partly shorn a couple of times the past few months. Lately not so bad as moulting season is over. 

2 hours ago, optimista said:

Emkay, the trick with cat vom is to have caught hubby on the back foot the night before :ph34r: so that he is the one sheepishly doing the clean-up the next morning ... see if you can have a word with the cat for next time...:D...

Husband doesn’t register cat vomit. Anything nasty…. my cats! He does occasionally lay kitchen roll over the vomit area as an alert!  Now that kiddo has moved out, we have separate bedrooms on different floors! Wonderful peace for me as he’s an horrendous snorer! 

3 hours ago, bramble said:

That’s great news.  I’d just suggest that keeping to mostly wet food might be best. Since one of our cats was diagnosed with kidney disease, I’ve learned that dry food is not so good for cats, especially elderly cats. I can’t get two of our cats off some dry food. The RSPCA in the UK recommended dry food when they were kittens…..they still prefer it though I try to add some quality wet food.. so annoying that they leave most of it until our ‘eat everything’ neighbour cat comes to visit!

2 minutes ago, emkay said:

That’s great news.  I’d just suggest that keeping to mostly wet food might be best. Since one of our cats was diagnosed with kidney disease, I’ve learned that dry food is not so good for cats, especially elderly cats. I can’t get two of our cats off some dry food. The RSPCA in the UK recommended dry food when they were kittens…..they still prefer it though I try to add some quality wet food.. so annoying that they leave most of it until our ‘eat everything’ neighbour cat comes to visit!

She is eating mostly wet food, though now and again she likes to have a nibble at the dry food. So is my other eldery cat. I'm simply over the moon that she's eating everything now. The plate is usually licked clean. 

At 1.05 metres, the high tide was not high enough to activate the Mose flood barriers, which were launched last year to protect the fragile city from flooding during the so-called "acqua alta" or high water.

Instead, walkways were set up for tourists and locals to cross St. Mark's Square without getting their feet wet.

This is happening too often in Venice. Why don't they set the flood barriers to activate at a lower level to prevent this?? Every time it floods, it causes more and more damage.

I needed to re-register my boat at the Amt (Bundesamt für Seeschifffahrt und Hydrographie )

and expected to go through the whole process and print off 15 pages of Amtsdeutsch

as well as having to sign each page....

Well, no!

Digitalisation has come to this Amt!

I only needed to log in with my Elster credentials - and that would be "Governement checked" enough.

Within a few minutes, I had checked enough boxes for the forms to be 

sent electronically to the Amt for processing.

Congrats to Germany for getting this (one) Amt into the 21st century !

In Berlin, if you live in a house, we put the recycling packaging garbage in thin yellow bags that are collected every two weeks.   Two houses from our house lives a lonely old lady (around 80 y/o) who still takes care of the house and garden by herself, we sometimes receive packages for her when she does not hear the doorbell.  A couple of weeks ago my wife was walking home and the old lady had already taken out the yellow bags for collection, being the busybody my wife is she glanced at the contains of the bags and she saw a bunch of cat wet food packaging.  She has no cats.   She must be feeding all the cats in the street, or she feeds the fox who comes often, or the hedgehogs, who knows.

Same lady several years ago (we still did not know her) came and rang our door and asked for our former cat by name.  She said he had not visited her for several weeks and she was worried.  The cat was sick and not allowed to go out for a while.  She was glad he was recovering.   That cat was extremely unfriendly and bit and scratch people, somehow I think that sold out was nice to the old lady.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

a bunch of cat wet food packaging.  She has no cats.

Ugh! Maybe she's eating it. I've heard of that before.