What's got you flummoxed today?

8,030 posts in this topic

On 12/10/2021, 19:19:09, Metall said:

It's a sign! /joking

It's a part of the idiot test for drivers over 70 here!馃槀

I love your thought, fraufruit!鉂わ笍

But dealing with about 150 dogs (?) down there in the olives area... huge area, some of the owners love their shootings.. wat dann?

What are we really supposed to do?? It can only be the authorities and political connections and greater awareness campaigns such as Takis's.

It's up to the Greeks. And it's generational. And a mindset we can no longer deal with.

( Two more abandoned dogs running around the village this afternoon- pointed out by an Albanian friend , a really friendly and helpful person , who himself loves ONE of his dogs, always with him and in his car and on his lap and with him at work- but the other one, the status symbol German shepherd Lola , is chained up 24 hours a day to a tree, and lonely as hell).馃檨

52 minutes ago, john g. said:

AcI love your thought, fraufruit!鉂わ笍

But dealing with about 150 dogs (?) down there in the olives area... huge area, some of the owners love their shootings.. wat dann?

What are we really supposed to do?? It can only be the authorities and political connections and greater awareness campaigns such as Takis's.

It's up to the Greeks. And it's generational. And a mindset we can no longer deal with.

( Two more abandoned dogs running around the village this afternoon- pointed out by an Albanian friend , a really friendly and helpful person , who himself loves ONE of his dogs, always with him and in his car and on his lap and with him at work- but the other one, the status symbol German shepherd Lola , is chained up 24 hours a day to a tree, and lonely as hell).馃檨

Act accordingly or shut up already.

Thank you for the empathy, Sannerl. You are a star. And don't order me around. People like you with your unfriendly attitude are the problem. What is your beef?

2 minutes ago, john g. said:

Thank you for the empathy, Sannerl. You are a star. And don't order me around.

I do have empathy for those poor creatures.

As for you - #civilcourage

Meaning? We can solve the problems here? My point was: we can't. We have had 8 years of this. Countless dogs and cats to the vet, to Germany et al. We are tired. We are ageing. We have had our civil courage. We could have done more? Maybe. But we can't. It is simply too much.聽

But I am glad you have empathy for those poor creatures. Thank you.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Meaning? We can solve the problems here? My point was: we can't. We have had 8 years of this. Countless dogs and cats to the vet, to Germany et al. We are tired. We are ageing. We have had our civil courage. We could have done more? Maybe. But we can't. It is simply too much.聽

But I am glad you have empathy for those poor creatures. Thank you.

You point something out, get advice and reject it.

Give up? Understood.

But what are we supposed to do about it?

Give money? Hello?!?

We'll be broke only a few years from now but try to help people and pets nearby nonetheless.

Well, it wasn't advice!馃槀 " Shut up already " just sounds plain rude and aggressive. That is not聽advice...! That is a lack of empathy.

Your last sentence? Yourselves? If so, hope you won't be broke only a few years from now and, if I understand it rightly , you try to help people and pets? If so, nice one馃憤

17 hours ago, Sannerl said:

"Act accordingly or shut up already."

Was soll das? A very unkind comment, indeed. @john g.聽has been responding to the problem admirably and actively with great compassion and money all these years. These dogs and cats are on his mind constantly. I can understand his anguish.聽

My but you are a bitter little person. You obviously cannot act accordingly so please just shut up.聽

Wow. This altercation between friends of mine sucks.

The thing is, taking bolt cutters and "setting free" captive (and yes, abused) animals on a Mediterranean island has two consequences:

1. John gets shot by the disaffected owner (or the police set on him for theft)

2. The animal runs wild in the streets and get shot or run over. Or caught again by said owner. Or starves. Or gets poisoned. Take it to the shelter without police support? Owner turns up and takes it back.

I've lived on Malta long enough to see the above scenarios play out. *I* got shot at by jealous fishermen just for diving in the wrong cove, much less taking the law in my hands and freeing animals.

And don't ask how much animal/owner horror I've seen (songbirds in glue traps, shot falcons, run over cats, mangy cancer ridden dogs en masse).

Nothing changed until better laws were enacted AND the police climbed out of the pit of corruption and actually did something.

John has acted accordingly for years and shown civil courage to the point of burn out.

At the same time, I know perfectly well Sannerl has a lot on her plate to deal with. She has rescued her own share of animals. And sometimes tempers flare, and answers get awfully short, and things escalate in a writing only environment like a forum.

I do my best to help the people I know, including the above.

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Just to say that my bolt cutters comment was pure sarcasm. Thanks for explaining the reason why.

I understand that. I just commented because things kinda blew up in general.

We've got confirmation just now that a very, very, very good friend of ours has died...

But - since neither we nor his SO for over 30 years are related or married - we don't get any official information whatsoever.

That includes where he's buried... (sob)

Well that was "interesting" organisation. I hope someone paid the hotel and that the drinks finally got paid for. Await hearing re the petrol costs, or have we missed the boat?

Not just "What's got us flummoxed today" but same procedure each year!

Its how we know that the flying season is drawing / has drawn to a close - the mails / phone calls "I decided I want to learn to fly sailpanes" suddenly increase.

Had one such phone call today (& 3 mails last week).

5 months is a long time to wait.