What's got you flummoxed today?

7,940 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Annifer said:

I am having my first full week off work in a year and we were going to take the train and go north from Berlin for a cycling holiday...on the PRECISE dates of this train strike. Now we're waiting till later to find out if the regional trains are running (unlikely) and then we are unstead going to wait outside Deutsche Bahns offices and kick any executive looking types in the nards.

Not really obvs, just needed to rant.

Oh bad luck.  I had the opposite.  2 days extra holiday at the North Sea.  And the sun came out.

Amrum beach 2021.jpg

The mayor kissed me on both cheeks. When I remonstrated - albeit after the horse had bolted as it happened very quickly - he said "but we are vaccinated." This otherwise fine, upstanding and clearly intelligent man is supposed to set an example. Guess I am more distressed at his ignorance than flummoxed.

Politics is inside out...(or back to front)

I got a letter about the forthcoming local referendum concerning  the motorbike club training area.

They've been without one for a decade or so but 4 years ago the town hall said they can use some land.

Some heated debates, market day handouts from both sides and newspaper publicity campaigns later...

Now I can vote YES or NO about this.

But the small print and "Amtsdeutsch" is my flummox : 

NO means they get the land.

YES means they don't

translates to:

YES to the change and subsequent removal of planning permission.

NO prevents a change to their planning permission thus allowing it to go ahead.

These Germans and their Reverse Polish Notation...  

Uhhh, Canadians, is there something about medical autonomy being given up in your marriage vows?

Man punches nurse in the face multiple times after his wife is vaccinated for Covid

Police are looking for a man in Canada they say punched a nurse in the face multiple times, knocking her to the ground after she administered a Covid-19 vaccine to his wife without his permission.

On Monday, around 9:15 a.m., a man walked into a Brunet Pharmacy in Sherbrooke, a city in southern Quebec, and accused a nurse in her 40s, who police have not named, of vaccinating his wife, Sherbrooke Police spokesman Martin Carrier told CNN.

"Right at the beginning, the suspect was very angry, very aggressive, he asked the nurse why she vaccinated his wife without approval, without his consent," Carrier said. "And he punched her right in the face multiple times so the nurse didn't have the time to defend or explain herself ... and she fell to the ground and the suspect left running out of the drugstore."

There are no laws in Canada that say individuals need their spouses' permission to get vaccinated, and it is unclear if his wife had given consent.

Given consent to what? You can't get a needle in my arm in a walk-in pharmacy without my awareness and standing still.

Yippee !!
A holiday in Uxbridge !!

(Uxbridge is a suburbean area west of London - hardly a pleasant alternative)

Family ‘in tears’ after Cornwall

hotel booking swapped for Uxbridge

Booking through online travel agents can have pitfalls – such as arriving for a luxury holiday only to find it doesn’t exist

The five-star Retallack Resort near Newquay is one of Cornwall’s top watersports centres.
However, when the [family] arrived after a four-hour drive they were told there was no record of the reservation he had made via the online travel agent Booking.com six months previously. Nor was there any possibility of fitting them in.

Booking.com, alerted to their plight, fired off an email reassuring the family that it had found them a similar alternative – in Uxbridge, a London suburb close to Slough.

The email said it hoped they were having a great day.

whole sorry story

Flummoxed that anyone uses a middle man when you can book directly with the hotel. Google is your friend.

40 minutes ago, optimista said:

Flummoxed that anyone uses a middle man when you can book directly with the hotel. Google is your friend.

The problem is it is cheaper to do it via the middleman (and sometimes with better conditions, like free cancellations with a click on the app), which does not make any sense because the hotel has to pay a omission to the middleman.   I hate Booking.com with all my guts, but whenever I check the price if I book directly with the hotel I go back to them.  Same with HRS for business trips.

"Blut, Schweiß und Tränen" ("Blood,, Sweat and Tears") about planting something on "ARD-Buffet" - yes, I did call it in.

I tend to use booking for my booking needs because it's easy to find and compare accommodation and you get a booking confirmation. You can also look up where you were and future bookings which is helpful when you are in a project and hotel hopping on a weekly basis because no hotel in the area has a vacancy every week or if they do there is a reason. 

Sometimes I've made deals with a hotel directly if I'm staying every week and sometimes they give a discount if you don't go through booking. However sometimes booking gives you a discount too.

44 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

I keep seeing this strange guy in my bathroom mirror.

Obviously my new glasses are a break with (my) tradition...

...but you shave him nonetheless.

Just now, Sannerl said:

...but you shave him nonetheless.

Gave that up 40 yrs ago.

I do comb his hair and brush his teeth though

:P

1 minute ago, HH_Sailor said:

Gave that up 40 yrs ago.

I do comb his hair and brush his teeth though

:P

That's very kind of you!

My son has huge feet.  They were remarked on at his birth.  Now at 16 we are having problems.  Nothing fits at the shops.  So buy size 50 from the internet which are fine but really limited.   Ice rink finally opend, but his  size 50 skates (that we sourced for 250 Euro from Switzerland) hurt.

Husband thought we should get his feet measure "professionaly".  Found someone in Heidelberg who did this.  Really, they just drew round his foot.  And said 47 or 48.  No width taken.   I did something similar a few weeks ago and got the same result.  Using a biro, and his foot diagonally on an A4 pad.  

TK are paying for this.  So I guess I just need to buy him smaller shoes.  The reason he has pain in his toes, and pressure on his nails, is because I have been buying shoes that are too big.  FFS he cannot even get his feet into a 48 pair.

That is the most unusual first sentence I think I have ever read on this forum in all these years, snowingagain!😂

Flummoxed no one has ever beaten that!!