What's got you flummoxed today?

7,886 posts in this topic

So, after more than 1 year of constant online meetings, I still have colleagues who forget to unmute themselves when they speak. Reply: “Sorry, I was on mute.” Learning curve?

23 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

So, after more than 1 year of constant online meetings, I still have colleagues who forget to unmute themselves when they speak. Reply: “Sorry, I was on mute.” Learning curve?

So, after more than 1 year of constant online meetings, you haven't figured out that colleagues who say "Sorry, I was on mute" are doing other things with their time than following constant online meetings? :lol:

19 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

19 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

So, after more than 1 year of constant online meetings, you haven't figured out that colleagues who say "Sorry, I was on mute" are doing other things with their time than following constant online meetings? :lol:

IMHO, this is rapidly becoming a new polite social fiction, just like ignoring farts in a (physical) meeting.

The mornings start with a coffee and a Pipirunde with the puppy and then I open the patio door to feed four cats. The bowls are always there. 

Today- no problem, the cats were there and were fed. I didn't at first notice the juicy fat dead rat.😒

Into a bag with it.

Cats continued eating.

Then I spotted a tiny dead baby rat. No blood.

Into the bag.

Then I lifted up the bag of dry cat food and a third rat was hiding behind it. It ran away alongside the wall and a cat showed interest.

I went to the rubbish container and came back 5 minutes later.

All the cats were still there but no sign of the rat. How the hell did it get away?

13 minutes ago, john g. said:

All the cats were still there but no sign of the rat. How the hell did it get away?

It's got a hole nearby to disappear into quickly and the cat food outside is a rat attraction. There are more. Believe me. 

@john g. If it was an adult rat, it probably went over the wall.  An interested yet hungry cat might realise that the full bowl of food is far more worthy of its attention than an escaping rat! I know you don’t like rats though feeding feral cats will attract other hungry creatures.  Best to feed further away from your house and just know that others hungry beasties may feast there too.

Hm, normally it seems to be Molly ( one of the four cats ) who catches rats and leaves them bloodied. I have " caught " her twice in the act and she leaves them next to a flower pot for us to " enjoy."😂

I have never seen three rats at the same time. Only ever one dead rat.😖

9 minutes ago, emkay said:

I know you don’t like rats though feeding feral cats will attract other hungry creatures.  Best to feed further away from your house and just know that others hungry beasties may feast there too.

Absolutely. And it's best to keep the bags of cat food inside the house. Rats can gnaw through the package and an open package is even easier for rats to help themselves to the contents. 

You're onto something there, bramble👍

The dry food bag is accessible  on the ground - though with pegs to seal it. Maybe I didn't seal it well enough yesterday evening!

Lesson learned👍👍👍

Reading between the lines here, stray cats, dogs, cockroaches and now rats.  Flummoxed that the neighbours haven't started complaining.

In the runup to our flight HAM=>IBZ we were required to visit the site https://www.spth.gob.es/

The web site is in German - seemingly without significant errors in translation.

Filling out the web form to obtain the "Fast Control" QR Code for entry to Spain took 30 minutes for 2 persons.

At one stage (or maybe two) one had to select the country where the journey starts (i.e. Germany).

This is from a pull-down so scrolling through the list (Afghanistan is near the top) the seach starts for Deutschland.

The list appears to be sorted semi-alphabetically - but DE-Deutschland appears not with the Ds, rather its with the Gs

(Germany) but appears as DE-Deutschland.

So the list appears to have been sorted on the english names for the countries & then translated.

I wonder how many Germans have been flumoxed by this.

For the home address they also wanted to know the federal state so I enter Schleswig-Holstein.

This resulted in a red error message in spanish.  Google translate to the rescue: doesnt like the dash.

Another thing: Eurowings write their flight numbers with a space i.e. EW<space>1234.

The Spanish web site accepts only without the space...

When I flew to Hamburg the other week, I was scratching my eyes out trying to find the Passenger Locator Form on the internet. Negative corona test required -ok - I was going mad. It turned out it had been abolished for flights from Greece. Unlike my previous flight to Hamburg a few weeks before that.

But when I flew back here, the Greeks still required it.

6 hours ago, Tap said:

Reading between the lines here, stray cats, dogs, cockroaches and now rats.  Flummoxed that the neighbours haven't started complaining.

Interesting neighbours! Direct neighbour on one side is an old Greek lady who used to love hitting cats- even ours - with a broom stick. She has mellowed ie too old to hit anything. But she used to complain about an occasional dog wee wee in front of her house. But it was actually her alcoholic son coming home in the afternoon from raki sessions and peeing against his mum's wall. Another Greek  neighbour - the widow is fine and often brings me food because she is kind but also because she probably assumes I can't cook being a man  but her deceased husband offered to take any dogs we had to the cliffs ie to throw them off and kill them. " We think you foreigners are stupid."

Another house is empty- the Greek couple have moved elsewhere in the village but their empty house adjacent to ours allows all kinds of creatures to wander around unobserved- eg rats. They are lovely people and our best ever neighbours. The husband came to the square to watch England v Italy with me whilst his wife watched a rerun of Pretty Woman on the telly😂

He is Tassos, 63, the local school headmaster and a Pink Floyd fan and plays " we don't want no education " at break times as a joke!

Next to the office on the other side of the pathway is a ruin. Lovely old Greek couple around the corner own it but only come to sprinkle some flowers here and there. Betcha rats love that place.

And then THE French neighbour!!! Nuff said!!

😂

38 minutes ago, john g. said:

Interesting neighbours! Direct neighbour on one side is an old Greek lady who used to love hitting cats- even ours - with a broom stick. She has mellowed ie too old to hit anything. But she used to complain about an occasional dog wee wee in front of her house. But it was actually her alcoholic son coming home in the afternoon from raki sessions and peeing against his mum's wall. Another Greek  neighbour - the widow is fine and often brings me food because she is kind but also because she probably assumes I can't cook being a man  but her deceased husband offered to take any dogs we had to the cliffs ie to throw them off and kill them. " We think you foreigners are stupid."

Have you considered opening a Piñata store ?    Maybe it would help re-direct the locals'  impulses to hit / destroy things.   

Dunno what such a store is! 😂 I am illiterate in a modern way!

Dealing with old Cretans here! Mostly illiterate  in an old-fashioned way and definitely no SmartPhones! 

Dear Kyopi, 83 (?), a neighbour , is the landlady of our  office house. She owns 6 houses and brings me the electricity bill every month. She doesn't know which one is relevant for which house.

Her fucking husband owned loads of stuff but never felt it was important she learned to read and write. He was able to control her. Many examples we witnessed. 

Including " go up the steps and listen in to who Nicole is talking to on the phone. "