What's got you flummoxed today?

7,937 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

.. does that mean I should eat mass produced stuff all the time?  Is it all pointless?

No. I am sure it does not taste the same either. Must get into the road kill habit more.

On 6/16/2021, 5:41:31, fraufruit said:

Exactly how will they take our cash from us?

Same way they always have. Tax cuts for the rich, none for the poor. 

Throw in shares and the money that funnels to the rich and various fonds. 

Some people live of the money they get from shares, I don't see then as being rich or taking the money but those that can afford to fund very wealthy lifestyles from it, that is just cash going in to a pot where it will sit. 

Unfathomable. Here in the office a few minutes ago, puppy Mandy on the sofa playing with something. I thought it was a small bone. I have such things here to keep her occupied.

I got close.. still couldn't really see. Put my glasses on and it was the head of a dead ( small mouse or rat.)

What? How? Why? Where from? Yesterday it was cockroaches all over the show. And now this?

Jeez😒

Head binned.

( And the question remains.. where is the rest of it?)

47 minutes ago, john g. said:

Unfathomable. Here in the office a few minutes ago, puppy Mandy on the sofa playing with something. I thought it was a small bone. I have such things here to keep her occupied.

I got close.. still couldn't really see. Put my glasses on and it was the head of a dead ( small mouse or rat.)

What? How? Why? Where from? Yesterday it was cockroaches all over the show. And now this?

Jeez😒

Head binned.

Check your sock drawer!! A much loved tiny Jack Russel would drag field mice and even rats in from surrounding woodland,  and then drop  it in front of favoured family member as a gift !!

Daren't check the sock drawer, RedMidge! There might be cockroaches in it!😂

Was in Hamburg the other week. Planted the suitcase on the floor when I got back. Did some cleaning today, lifted up said suitcase and - lo and behold - two ex- cockroaches underneath it! Mandy will claim innocence. Cretan Jack Russell mixed with how's- your- father in this village! Anything goes!

2 hours ago, john g. said:

small mouse or rat

I'm flummoxed by this. Are the mice gigantic on Crete - or are the rats tiny? Or should it just have been the other way round?:unsure:

2 hours ago, john g. said:

Jeez😒

Head binned.

One of the cats brought it in maybe? As far as the cockroaches are concerned, there must be a nest somewhere near and they're there because they are finding food to feed on (pet food and your own food). They are considered pests and are fast breeding. You*ll have to do something about it. They can cause allergies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockroach#As_pests

54 minutes ago, bramble said:

As far as the cockroaches are concerned, there must be a nest somewhere near and they're there because they are finding food to feed on (pet food and your own food). They are considered pests and are fast breeding. You*ll have to do something about it. 

I grew up in New Orleans, the cockroach capital of the US.  😱  Get on it now or you will never see the end of it.  😩  They are horrid.  🤮

(We had the saying "they multiply like cockroaches.")

9 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

I grew up in New Orleans, the "Cockroach Capital of the US".  😱  Get on it now or you will never see the end of it.  They are horrid.  🤮

We had them in the house in Wales when I was a child. It was terrible. You never saw them during the day, but at night if you went into the kitchen and switched the light on the walls were black with them and they scurried away to their hiding places. My mother was desperate. Even DDT couldn't get rid of them. It wasn't until the old fireplace was ripped out that they found the nest behind it, which was then destroyed. No more blackpats (that's what we called them in Wales) after that. To this day I can't bear the sight of one. 

Cockroaches - ugh. As newly-weds on a budget 65 years ago, we lived in a duplex that had once been a chicken coop. There was no way to escape from the roaches, who lived under the building in the old droppings, except to move out.

5 hours ago, bramble said:

... the walls were black with them ...

:blink:

We are having a snail invasion this year. Pretty much the same outside.

Why do so many deos/anti-perspirants marketed at men smell so awful?  In particular the spray ones.  My son has (tbtg) got past the Axe stage, but is now refusing to use roll-ons.  So, every morning the house is filled with this horrible "ocean fresh" scent. Smells like cheap bog cleaner.   It sinks down through the house, even into the basement.  I can taste it.  It lingers for hours.   And again in the evening if he is going out anywhere.  And what is worse is opening the windows is punishing at the moment?   Is there a nicer one out there?

Who buys his deo? If you, buy something else.

Just kidding. My son was in the Axe phase when he was 10 yrs. old. That was 25 yrs. ago.

I don't do deo. I do Old Spice eau de toilette or Run Wild ( Davidoff ) or whatever I am recommended by my family expert!❤️😂

I might even have a shower first!

But puberty was tough, snowingagain. No shower at home, no mum and definitely no money. So I probably stank and was envious/ jealous at school of Paul and Colin - who had "proper" mums and dads at home and later in life found out more about the " power " of envy and jealousy. And why it is no reason not to feel ok about yourself and say " hey, babe " in the mirror. 
Your son will be fine later. It's a phase. 

I get Weleda citrus deo for mine. It is expensive (Really Expensive) but I cannot bear those horrible fake smellies, they make me gag. Even more than the sweaty teenager smell does.

So I buy the expensive deo, and they smell less awful. It does last ages.

Added bonus, kid#3 has been filling her empties with water and we use them as a cooling spray in the heat.There's a hint of lemon left in there which is rather nice.

So I walked 40 minutes in the blazing heat to the beach today, had a delicious freshly pressed orange juice, enjoyed a swim in the refreshing sea, walked back 40 minutes in the blazing heat to the office and now I'm falling asleep! 

I will never understand that!

One glass of orange juice is not nearly enough hydration for being in the sun for that long. No wonder you feel like crap. Drink water, it is your friend.

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

One glass of orange juice is not nearly enough hydration for being in the sun for that long. No wonder you feel like crap. Drink water, it is your friend.

Absolutely agree! Too often, dehydration is the cause behind some general feelings of unwell. 

I keep a jug of water in the fridge with cucumber and lime slices, drop in berries  and keep a travel mug topped up.

Thanks, ladies😀🐋

Fine now! 3 million gallons of water and back in shape!