What's got you flummoxed today?

7,858 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

We played the picking up parcels at the Lotto place a few times and then stopped. We would just cancel the orders because we paid for them to be delivered to our door. Hasn't happened again in several years. Mind you, someone was always at home waiting for those orders.

I don't even care if they take my stuff to the Lotto place.  It's 5 min. for me to walk, good excuse to get fresh air.  So when I get the email telling me when they are going to deliver and offering alternatives if I'm not at home, I do check in and ask them to take it to the Lotto place directly if I know I'm not going to be there.  I might have made the Lotto place my standard drop off point already except it required me to create a dhl account and until now I couldn't be bothered.  Doesn't help though if they deliver it there and then pick it up again a day later to take it somewhere else. <_<

The time they claimed they couldn't find my house, they actually sent my order back to the seller.  I was pretty pissed off about that one.

3 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Doesn't help though if they deliver it there and then pick it up again a day later to take it somewhere else

Well, wild goose chase springs to mind ;)

My worst was having to go 3 times over as many days to the bizzaro little place that had kidnapped my parcel, to be greeted with a slightly different story each time, but no-one actually suggested that I go to another Ort to fetch it, just that it was having a wee trip aroung Niedersachsen because I had not been there to welcome it on time. 

My favourite one was when I was waiting for important legal documents that I had to sign for. They didn’t come and I got notice that it had been delivered to a packstation, but not which one. I then went to 5 or 6 trying to find out where the damn thing was.

If you live in Ontario it's wise to drop your girlfriend/boyfrind after 2 years and 364 days, other wise it can get expensive!

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/no-home-or-kids-together-but-couple-still-spouses-appeal-court-rules

Unmarried Ontario couple had no children and no house but man must still pay support, appeal court rules

A wealthy businessman will have to pay more than $50,000 a month in spousal support for 10 years to a woman with whom he had a long-term romantic relationship even though they kept separate homes and had no children together, Ontario’s top court has ruled.

Under Ontario law, an unmarried couple are considered common-law spouses if they have cohabited — lived together in a conjugal relationship — continuously for at least three years. But that doesn’t necessarily mean living in the same home, the court found.

“Lack of a shared residence is not determinative of the issue of cohabitation,” the Appeal Court said. “There are many cases in which courts have found cohabitation where the parties stayed together only intermittently.”

In the long run prostitutes are cheaper!

4 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

If you live in Ontario it's wise to drop your girlfriend/boyfrind after 2 years and 364 days, other wise it can get expensive!

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/no-home-or-kids-together-but-couple-still-spouses-appeal-court-rules

Unmarried Ontario couple had no children and no house but man must still pay support, appeal court rules

A wealthy businessman will have to pay more than $50,000 a month in spousal support for 10 years to a woman with whom he had a long-term romantic relationship even though they kept separate homes and had no children together, Ontario’s top court has ruled.

Under Ontario law, an unmarried couple are considered common-law spouses if they have cohabited — lived together in a conjugal relationship — continuously for at least three years. But that doesn’t necessarily mean living in the same home, the court found.

“Lack of a shared residence is not determinative of the issue of cohabitation,” the Appeal Court said. “There are many cases in which courts have found cohabitation where the parties stayed together only intermittently.”

In the long run prostitutes are cheaper!

However, according to the article, she quit her job, he supported her and her kids, paid off her mortgage and gave her a credit card, gave them a lavish lifestyle it says.  A conjugal relationship is also valid in Canada for immigration spousal sponsorship.  The partners only have to show that although they did not live together, they have lived as a couple, supporting each other emotionally and financially etc.  If she had continued her job, paid her own mortgage etc. and he'd been a cheapskate and kept his money for himself, it might have gone differently.

Today, I watched Germans sitting outside a Greek restaurant under a parasol eating. It was raining, 13 degrees and they had big coats on. I guess I'm not Germanized enough :).

12 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Today, I watched Germans sitting outside a Greek restaurant under a parasol eating. It was raining, 13 degrees and they had big coats on. I guess I'm not Germanized enough :).

Well - Munich and Ireland have that in common: Rain is "Irish sunshine"...

10 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I've seen it too. To be honest, I say good for them. The gastronomy sector is struggling hard and now they are finally able to open outside, the weather has decided to piss on their bonfire. The ones braving it are doing a good service I reckon.

9 minutes ago, theGman said:

I've seen it too. To be honest, I say good for them. The gastronomy sector is struggling hard and now they are finally able to open outside, the weather has decided to piss on their bonfire. The ones braving it are doing a good service I reckon.

I would love to go to a restaurant, but if I have to sit outside, I need it to be at least dry.  Things should get better over the weekend, so I'm living in hope!

I went to a restaurant on opening night on Friday. It started raining and I got drenched, but I can tell you that I haven’t been that happy in months.

How can people even listen to this woman, much less vote for her?
deadder.jpg?resize=600%2C520

Talk about chutzpah!

As always, I'm flummoxed as to why people take the energy to see who gave a greenie to whom and why they care.

5 hours ago, alderhill said:

Being neighbourly is nice and all, but what she wants is beyond our 'responsibility'.

I do not want to get in the habit of doing shopping for her. I sympathize, but I can't take that on.

We are at our limits.

Exactly. So set those limits. Tell her the above explicitly. She will not like it. But the alternative is that she will continue to take advantage of your good nature. And you will not like that. She may not hear what you said and take advantage of you anyway. If you let her.

Sorry for dishing out unsollicited advice. But I see quite a bit of octegenarians. And they can become quite ruthless.

5 hours ago, alderhill said:

She kept for me about an hour, the conversation turned to a more normal catch-up after, before I could peel away.

Looks like she is in control. How about you asserting your own needs?

Talk to her family- they need to have a discussion with Mum, the whole family, and her MD. 

Explain  your feelings about  their Mother putting pressure on you,  Sounds as if she is trying not to move-  not unusual for any older persons. Fear of moving, losing independence.  But this is not your problem, this needs to be addressed by her obviously caring family.

As optimista says- be firm and set limits.  You sound a caring neighbour, but you can be drawn into a difficult relationship here.

I am sure you will heed this advice for your own good. Just one more thing about the shopping though. Do not do this. Seems so harmless if you are already in the Rewe and doing your own. However, I have seen it get very ugly when previously normal oldies forget to pay the shopper. Or are convinced they did pay when they did not. Unfortunately, this is how it rolls in real life. Anything can happen after 80. Things can go very peculiar, if they weren't already.