What's got you flummoxed today?

7,869 posts in this topic

That鈥檚 the fighting spirit, HEM!馃憤 I hope it works out one day for you!

My personal favourite memory about sitting next to a pilot the whole flight (well, the only time馃槀) was around 1974 in Argentina ( before a year or so later the skies darkened, so to speak , and the Dirty War started ).

I was in Comodoro聽Rivadavia ( spelling?) and it was a Sunday and I tried to pay for a flight to Ushuaia ( furthest southern point of Patagonia ) and the woman at the desk said 鈥 I鈥檓 sorry.. we can鈥檛 accept Traveller鈥檚 Cheques on a Sunday.鈥

Luckily, a man overhead that and asked me where I was from.

Easiest answer was 鈥 Londres 鈥 ( London ) and he said 鈥 ah, my daughter is studying English there right now!鈥

And then he said 鈥 I鈥檓 the pilot! Come with me! 鈥淪o I sat the whole flight next to him with my Instamatic camera , taking pictures of the Andes and the Patagonian desert!

馃槀

Unforgettable鉂わ笍 ( and didn鈥檛 need to pay for the ticket !)馃槀

Edit: correct spelling!馃槀

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comodoro_Rivadavia

John, out聽of all your stories ramblings and memories, that is my favorite so far ! The world was a different place back then.

( blushes).Thank you, dear Wasteland.聽

Sigh, I have been lucky.

Today I visited my mate Pete, 82, meanwhile in a wheelchair but sound of mind and he is writing some stuff down about how his musical career began. He was a brilliant pianist and knew everybody from the golden era of British ( partly South African ) comedy / music. Peter Sellers, Sid James, Cliff Richards, all the people from the Carry On comedy films, Louis Armstrong ( who played at his jazz club in South Africa ) - more and more names and he tells the stories with humour.

What flummoxed me - he has never before told me - or I had never asked - was today. I can鈥檛 remember why it happened but he told me ( he was born in 1939 ) his father was around when he was born in London but months later was called up for the war effort and ended up in Burma in a Japanese prisoner of war camp and was finally released about four years later.聽
And that his Dad came home when Pete was still an infant but separated from his mum after a year.. and ended up living with his parents.

So Pete met someone who recognised his musical skills and emigrated to South Africa as a teenager.

Stories about so many interesting artists! Some so funny! And there are the likes of me.. born after the war, thank God. My stories.. I like them and I am truly grateful for my life so far 聽but thank God I was never long term in a prisoner of war camp.馃檨

Oh, by the way , he is still a passionate Charlton Athletic supporter and is sad his team let in a goal in about the 95th minute of a game on Saturday. They would otherwise have qualified for the play- offs for promotion..

But, never mind , when I visit him, I take my puppy Mandy to play with his dog Buddy and they love each other and that brings a tear to his eye. Mandy will stay with him for a fortnight when I fly to Hamburg this Saturday. Pete loves dogs. And they love him.

Two days ago if聽 window was opened it had to be closed because it was too cold. Now it has to be closed as it's too warm...

The earth is trolling us...

I got to sit in the jump seat on a flight from Brisbane to Singapore in the 90's. I don't remember what aircraft it was but we landed after dark and it was beautiful and exciting.

To be honest, it must be very difficult to putt a notebook into a microwave.

(ETA - Himself put one of my grandmother's silver and gold trimmed porcelain bowls in the microwave last week. Did not end well.)

31 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

To be honest, it must be very difficult to putt a notebook into a microwave.

But it certainly explains its current condition.

6 hours ago, Sannerl said:

golf fail GIF

Oh, just pick the damn ball up and drop it in the cup! Take the penalty and move on to the next hole, just as you would in your real life. Swear to God!

Ah, back to service-desert Germany (Dienstleistungsw眉ste Deutschland)...

Got a letter from DHL (says it all doesn't it?)

Starting in July, they will no longer ring the doorbell in an attempt to give me a package.

They'll simply drop it off in my <reserved place> and run away without telling me.

This, the letter assures me, is an improvement to the service as I won't be disturbed

by their incessant doorbell ringing...

The fact that I won't know when the possibly expensive package has arrived聽

in my now permanently open potting shed, seems to be missing in their overwhelming

belief that this is what the customer wants.

Anyone seeing a yellow van near the potting shed knows that there's something I ordered

(and probably paid for) just waiting to be taken away.

I think I'll fill in a few of those "ablageort-ohne-klingeln" forms in and

tell them what I really think of this wow of an idea.

:ph34r:

10 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Ah, back to service-desert Germany (Dienstleistungsw眉ste Deutschland)...

Got a letter from DHL (says it all doesn't it?)

Starting in July, they will no longer ring the doorbell in an attempt to give me a package.

They'll simply drop it off in my <reserved place> and run away without telling me.

This, the letter assures me, is an improvement to the service as I won't be disturbed

The fact that I won't know when the possibly expensive package has arrived聽

in my now permanently open potting shed, seems to be missing in their overwhelming

belief that this is what the customer wants.

Anyone seeing a yellow van near the potting shed knows that there's something I ordered

(and probably paid for) just waiting to be taken away.

I think I'll fill in a few of those "ablageort-ohne-klingeln" forms in and

tell them what I really think of this wow of an idea.

:ph34r:

Sounds to me like it's become cheaper to deal with insurance payments for lost and stolen parcel than to have their drivers take the time to deliver properly.

Amazon do this now, I've had stuff left by the door (no ring), had the bell ring and found stuff left by the door.

5 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

Oh, so they were ringing before?聽 Most people seem to experience that they drop it off directly at the Lotto place and claim you weren't home.聽 One time they even claimed they hadn't found my house.聽

The last time I got one, I was home all day and nobody came.聽 Around 3pm I get a message saying it's going to the Lotto place because "you weren't聽home when we聽came" and that I can pick it up next day after 11 am.聽 At 6 pm I get a message saying it's already at the Lotto place and I can pick it up any time.聽 Now it's been my experience in the past that I've gone to the Lotto place to pick something up that was supposed to be there but didn't arrive until a day later so I didn't go the next day but the day after and guess what, it wasn't there.聽 Looking it up on the tracker, I found that it looked like they did take it to the Lotto place but picked it up again a day later and took it to Hannover.聽 The tracker told me I be welcome to pick it up there, 45 min. drive.聽 So I requested it to be re-routed back to the Lotto place.聽 A day later I checked again and it says it's now waiting for me in S眉lzetal.聽 This apparently about 2 hrs. away.聽 I would have written DHL a nasty email right then if I could have found an email address for them but about half an hour later, some dude rings my bell with my order.聽 Utterly flummoxed.聽 I asked my Lotto place what might have happened and they said DHL probably took it back by mistake.

5 hours ago, cb6dba said:

Sounds to me like it's become cheaper to deal with insurance payments for lost and stolen parcel than to have their drivers take the time to deliver properly.

Amazon do this now, I've had stuff left by the door (no ring), had the bell ring and found stuff left by the door.

I see that one of my neighbours gets a lot of stuff dropped off on her front door step.聽 Very easy to steal if someone wanted to.

I usually get an email giving me the date of the delivery and a time frame and also a choice of ringing, or dropping it off in a place of my choice (doorstep, neighbour, garage or whatever).聽 In all these years I have never had any problems with delivery, whether DHL, DPD, Hermes etc.聽

We played the picking up parcels at the Lotto place a few times and then stopped. We would just cancel the orders because we paid for them to be delivered to our door. Hasn't happened again in several years. Mind you, someone was always at home waiting for those orders.

We teach people how to treat us.聽:D

DHL ring my doorbell out of its socket literally every single day (today on two separate occasions, and the first one was before 10am) to try to get me to take packages for other people, but when I order something, I've got about a 50% shot that it'll make it to my door.聽 In the event that it does show up here, I'll be pressured to take packages for a hundred other neighbors that are *definitely* at home or in other buildings even.聽 #defundDHL

I guess I am lucky and have the right balance of neighours who are not always in, but there enough to help me out sometimes.聽 聽And the most charming DHL drivers.聽 But I am not in a city, just a small town.聽 If I am here, I take packets for 7 near neighbours. Since lockdown it has all stopped.聽 Happy shopping,

It irks me that some people order the internet empty and then rely on their neighbors to play post office for them.聽 Neighbors that get several packages weekly and know they won't be home to get them but are too cheap or lazy to just arrange to have the packages dropped at a pack station half a block away. (There are like five within a two-block radius of here.)聽 That's what the Lotto man takes a fee for.聽 I have other visions for my time spent at home than interrupting what I'm doing ten times a day, every day, to answer the door.聽 But what really soured me on taking packages for neighbors are people who serially, consistently leave their stuff at my house for days at a time.聽 I can see or hear them coming or going, yet their shit is still taking up space rent free in my hallway.聽 The last straw was a package the size of a small refrigerator that my neighbor simply left with me for the better part of a week.聽 When I got fed up and tried to "deliver" it to them, they simply didn't come to the door, although I knew they had come home and could hear them inside.聽 Two nights in a row, after it had been in my apartment聽for several days already.聽 Eventually I got tired of tripping over it fifty times a day and left in front of their door.聽 Guess who got chewed out by the indignant deadbeats next time we met in the hall?聽 Oh; so now you know where your package was the whole time?聽 I don't know what the deal is but I'm 100% over it at this point.

聽I do not聽accept聽packages for a certain neighbour I absolutely don't like. And I switch off the doorbell between one and three o'clock when I lie down for a nap, unless I'm expecting a parcel myself.聽