What's got you flummoxed today?

7,754 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, john g. said:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/apr/30/noel-clarke-dropped-by-broadcasters-over-sexual-harassment-claims

Never heard of this bloke, never heard of this TV series and, yes , I know some people sexually abuse but - not showing a continuation of a  TV series without a legal basis ie trial, judge, jury etc.. just seems wrong to me. ie , guilty, not guilty etc.  Maybe I am just old-fashioned.

I tend to agree.  However, the TV show is available online.  Sounds dreadful though.  He is obviously a complete dick, and why he was not called out at the time is really strange.  

I sit in the kitchen,

eating a slice of bread with
smoked salmon and horseradish.
50% off ...

Plus a tomato cut into quarters
nice with fresh pepper

Quite relaxed.
All at once.
BOOM BOOM at the door
really loud
really aggro
I jump up - rip the door open and yell
'TELL ME - ARE YOU CRAZY?'

the cops -
oops

'are you throwing stones from the balcony?'

.......???

thing is

i'm having a party on my own

luckily the beer cans were in the bin

weed smell gone

and no music playing nor did

however

THEY STORMED MY FLAT

for nothing at all

a half hardheaded excuse afterwords

Yes - an official excuse

I'm not the kind of guy

you want to have trouble with

i can count

i got old

i am not amused

if live isn't a song

what is it then

this is a true Nashville/me one

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

@ooch Schillerkiez, we're neighbors!  So you hear these helicopters too...

@dessa_dangerous

I know

more neukölln than xberg right?

xkölln

30 minutes ago, ooch said:

thing is

i'm having a party on my own

luckily the beer cans were in the bin

weed smell gone

and no music playing nor did

however

THEY STORMED MY FLAT

for nothing at all

a half hardheaded excuse afterwords

Yes - an official excuse

I'm not the kind of guy

you want to have trouble with

i can count

i got old

i am not amused

Not quite so dramatic but way back then. London c. 1982 or 3. Hot summer evening. Party at my small flat on the ground floor. Dope was flowing. And it was a hot evening so I ended up sitting on the window sill overlooking the street.

Man, the music was loud! I know, I know!

I think Pink Floyd but maybe Reggae..

And someone about 100 yards away called the police and the policewoman came and she was “ cool “, as they say these days.

No mention of me with a joint in my lips on the window sill.. just “ can you please turn down the music?”

And.. these days... firecrackers are disturbing our dogs!

😂

Am I becoming wise or just getting old?

I like to think both.. but I may be very wrong!😂

@john g.

old means wise if you are lucky

and I think in your case

you are a lucky one

15 minutes ago, ooch said:

@dessa_dangerous

I know

more neukölln than xberg right?

xkölln

I'm right between both.  When I go to the side of the apartment that looks toward Schillerkiez, I hear helicopters.

When I go to the side of the apartment that looks toward Xberg, I hear helicopters.

There were some of the usual noises on the usual bridges and main thoroughfares, but it's all died down now.  Even the helicopters.  Now it's quiet.  Eerily quiet.

i am still awake

another story goes through my head

New in Berlin / xberg / Mittenwalderstr.
30+ years ago
the second week in town

no money
luckily got a flat - long short story
had to get rid of lots of stinky junk
kill mice
a heroin junky lived there
blood splatter everywhere at the walls

I managed to get some money
food, beer and oh luxury
some dope to smoke ...

a mattress a sleeping bag
and happy me

3 am
BOOM BOOM

did i mention  - no electricity
and in the stairways no working lights

BOOM BOOM

i jumped up from my nest
opened the door pretty much like today
but wearing nothing but knickers

three guys and their torches
playing a super trouper thing with my body

'someone smashed a window at Herti's
(i think it's Poco right now - Dessa may know - Hallesches Tor)
and the blood trace leads to Mittenwalderstr.
we suspect the offender is here
do you mind if we have a look?'

'well sure - come on in'
opening the door
1/2 a second later
slowly awake
i said

closing the door
'no stop what if i don't let you in'

'we'll use force then!'

[silence]

so they stormed my new flat

one of them had a way to long look
at the dope

'we are sorry'

'hope you had a damn good reason for this'

'do you think we haven't'

Off,
and i went back to bed.

FUCK

12 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I'm right between both.  When I go to the side of the apartment that looks toward Schillerkiez, I hear helicopters.

Always action in your hood. I'm flummoxed that you still live there.

18 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Always action in your hood. I'm flummoxed that you still live there.

You're not wrong.  Helicopters are among the more normal things one can hear here.  In any given week I can hear demented screaming and yelling, sometimes between more than one person, but most often, from one person among him- or herself.  There really is something going on here all the time.  When I first moved here, it was a lot more calm, and keeps getting more "interesting" with time.  However, helicopters on May Day are not really so unexpected. And I am used to even more demented screaming and even higher incidences of junkie fights in the grittier districts of my hometown... there's nothing here I can't handle or haven't already seen.

Why I still live here: it's still, in my opinion, the best place to live in the whole city (for my current needs, of course a house on the lake would be much nicer--some day).  Not to mention that I live in a spacious apartment in an interesting and lively neighborhood with things at my fingertips that people in other parts of the city/country can only dream about, with a very old rental contract. 

And there are definitely parts of the city which are even more "interesting", with even more helicopters, and traffic, and tourists, and fewer parks, amenities, access to water and green spaces, and more dirt, and more Nazis.  And trams!  With higher rents.  And no Turkish/Arab/African/Asian grocery stores!

So, mystery solved ;) 

4 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Why I still live here: it's still, in my opinion, the best place to live in the whole city (for my current needs, of course a house on the lake would be much nicer--some day).  Not to mention that I live in a spacious apartment in an interesting and lively neighborhood with things at my fingertips that people in other parts of the city/country can only dream about, with a very old rental contract. 

And there are definitely parts of the city which are even more "interesting", with even more helicopters, and traffic, and tourists, and fewer parks, amenities, access to water and green spaces, and more dirt, and more Nazis.  And trams!  With higher rents.  And no Turkish/Arab/African/Asian grocery stores!

So, mystery solved ;) 

Yes to all of this. Folks see the news and think OMG, how could anyone live there! I admit I deliberately avoided Sonnenallee yesterday - my first revolutionary 1st May experience was back in 1993 and as an elderly gent these days don't need to witness it at first hand. But only a few blocks away everything was peaceful, people out and about taking a stroll along the canal past the cherry blossoms. In Neukölln you can go from the most Arabic street in the city through hipster central to bourgeois balcony in a few minutes. You can keep your Prenzlauer Berg :P

RTL2 devoted a whole series on Neukölln as social hotspot: https://www.tvnow.de/shows/kiez-knallhart-19474

It's not only about the typical yearly 1st May demonstrations/riots, it's also about the big police raids against Arab clan families, drug scene, unemployment, public drunkenness, confused people, etc. Lively indeed. 

Kiez Knallhart on RTL2...yeah, right. I also enjoyed 4 Blocks but know it's not the whole picture. Does everyone in Munich wear Lederhosen?

Here's a recent (2020) reportage about Sonnenallee. Fairly traditional RBB style, but still worth a look.

20 hours ago, katheliz said:

May be a black-and-white image of 11 people, child and text that says 'Johnny Rotten Ozzy Janis Joplin Chuck Berry Steven Tyler Tom Waits Freddie ury Jim Morrison John Lennon avid Bowie Neil Young Richaruls'

Hilarious, katheliz😂👍

Have you got a pic of yourself as a child to share with us? 
Or anyone else on here? So we can admire👍