What's got you flummoxed today?

7,731 posts in this topic

I'm flummoxed as to what we all talked about pre-corona? It is now the beginning, middle and end of all conversations with everyone.

Does anyone remember?

15 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I'm flummoxed as to what we all talked about pre-corona? It is now the beginning, middle and end of all conversations with everyone.

Does anyone remember?

I do... music. Gigs. Garden parties, beergarden, BBQs. Silly wrangling about stupid nothings, too.

15 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Does anyone remember?

Those were the days when someone asked what's new, I had something more interesting to say than "I went to gas up last week". 

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

It is now the beginning, middle and end of all conversations with everyone

I found it awkward last week whilst Zooming with my UK based book club because they are no longer in this mode. Their conversation seemed so....irrelevant?...no, I don't know, it's hard to descibe, but I'm still firmly on Inzidenzwerte and life being tricky, and they are looking ahead. 

One lives in a part of Scotland with an Inzidenzwert of 1, which is ridiculous given that they were still in lockdown. 

3 hours ago, engelchen said:

Those were the days when someone asked what's new, I had something more interesting to say than "I went to gas up last week". 

I don’t know what “ I went to gas up last week “ means but I get your drift!😂👍

10 minutes ago, kiplette said:

I found it awkward last week whilst Zooming with my UK based book club because they are no longer in this mode. Their conversation seemed so...irrelevant?...no, I don't know, it's hard to descibe, but I'm still firmly on Inzidenzwerte and life being tricky, and they are looking ahead. 

One lives in a part of Scotland with an Inzidenzwert of 1, which is ridiculous given that they were still in lockdown. 

My whatsapp group is spread across the UK, US, Canada and a few in other countries.  Many have already had their vaccinations or are seeing them in their near future and the discussion is slowly moving on. 

Inzidenzwert of 1 seems like a dream.  My town keeps setting personal records, currently at 369.  Still they're opening up, just allowed book stores to open.  Weekly market was open today.  Police was patrolling making sure everybody has a mask on.

Undocumented anecdotal side-effect of the virus (JohnG was on the right track but too much of a scholar to go there): those of us who were not already deadly boring old hearts before 2020 have joined the last fully functioning social club. May I extend a farty welcome to all newcomers.

I recommend avoiding leeks, beans and cabbage varieties if you wish to avoid the condition becoming even worse.

14 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Does anyone remember?

Non-stop Trump conspiracy theories.   Russia! Russia! Russia!, Stormy Daniels, Michael Avenetti, Robert Mueller, Lincoln Project, etc.   

Makes me chuckle just thinking about it.   🤡

The pension insurance failed to pay my son´s semi-orphan´s pension, so I told him to give them a call and ask what the problem might be. When I asked him about the outcome he told me that he called but there was only a voice recorder telling that they were very busy and asking to only proceed with the call if it was about an important issue. So he hang up. :blink:

Flummoxed to learn that non adjustable/closeable air flow gadgets (Regel-Air etc) are popular and fitted to windows for permanent air circulation to prevent mould. Installation requires cutting pieces out of the window seal.  Why bother with triple glazing and A rated energy efficiency only to make holes in the window frames?!

With these gadgets, the feather test doesn’t work! Remember these UK ads from the 80’s?...

I'm flummoxed that so many people spend so much time and energy pretending.

@emkay I remember those ads, and I remember being flummoxed that they were for double glazing. In Sweden we were putting in quadruple window panes at the time

16 hours ago, optimista said:

I'm flummoxed that so many people spend so much time and energy pretending.

Pretenders in my family and friends circle are generally just delusional!

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/apr/30/noel-clarke-dropped-by-broadcasters-over-sexual-harassment-claims

Never heard of this bloke, never heard of this TV series and, yes , I know some people sexually abuse but - not showing a continuation of a  TV series without a legal basis ie trial, judge, jury etc.. just seems wrong to me. ie , guilty, not guilty etc.

Maybe I am just old-fashioned.

19 hours ago, john g. said:

...not showing a continuation of a  TV series without a legal basis ie trial, judge, jury etc.. just seems wrong to me. ie , guilty, not guilty etc.

Maybe I am just old-fashioned.

When there are at least 20 women (so how many more are in the shadows saying nothing?) saying he is a sex pest, you have to take immediate action. The wheels of bureaucracy - and certainly the overloaded, underfunded, inadequate UK legal system - grind too slowly for some stuff. Surely. Beats me why Alex Salmond is still walking about freely. Women are simply not heard by so many men.

I am flummoxed that anyone would think an actor is not subject to the vicissitudes of the free market.