What's got you flummoxed today?

7,767 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, AlexTr said:

I think perhaps we have gotten on the wrong track. The man grabbed the door handle and tried to let himself in my car AFTER I had acknowledged him. 

His good fortune was that the car door was locked. The only item I had with which to assist myself was my Buck 110.

Please be careful.. if you get caught with this weapon, you could get in some deep shit... 

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

Please be careful.. if you get caught with this weapon, you could get in some deep shit... 

It's under the current 12cm limit for knives of its kind and is carried in a sealed case. But your point is noted.

Like most things... Its not the size that matters!!    :lol:

Its a lock knife, so is not permitted in public areas... 

I always carry pepper spray and one of these alarm things with me.

MUTUAL Persönlicher Alarm, Personal Alarm, Panikalarm schlüsselanhänger, 140DB Security Alarm mit LED-Licht für Frauen Mädchen und ältere Menschen (Schwarz)

I'M fucking ugly... I dont need either... 

4 minutes ago, bramble said:

I always carry pepper spray and one of these alarm things with me.

MUTUAL Persönlicher Alarm, Personal Alarm, Panikalarm schlüsselanhänger, 140DB Security Alarm mit LED-Licht für Frauen Mädchen und ältere Menschen (Schwarz)

I've also been told that the use of pepper spray on people is problematic under the law.

8 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Like most things... Its not the size that matters!!    :lol:

Well, luckily the knife stays in a closed case and in my purse, which, for the purposes of transporting it under the current law, keeps it in compliance. Men, who do not have the luxury of carrying purses (mostly), are told it must be carried in a zipped compartment of their backpack.

I find it all so amusing. Build a law, then build the loophole.

ETA: It is certainly no one-hand knife, although I know men who can open it with one hand easily. It's not a trick I have mastered.

14 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Yes, strange behaviour by grabbing the door handle.

Sounds like standard behaviour of your average over 70s rough 'n' ready Bavarian - same guy who rams you in the supermarket with his trolley, lets the door swing in your face or climbs over your 4,000 Euro horn instead of walking around it. I put an awful lot down to social incompetence while I was in Munich. My apologies to anyone in that category reading this who may happen to know better. But I suspect there may not be many.

As to the last flummox, if you want miisguided, uninformed, dangerous, backward thinking may I suggest reading the literature available in some RC parish buildings. Eye-popping. And written with such authority.

Oh, yeah, I am flummoxed as to why my daughter's cookies stuck to the non-stick cake tray after a good greasing. What does one have to do to make them come away clean?

you should have used a non stick cookie tray and not a non stick cake tray...     Cookies are smart!

11 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

...luckily the knife stays in a closed case and in my purse...

The first thing that goes when we panic is our fine motor skills. Generally these things escalate too fast to dig out a securely concealed weapon. Which can be taken off you and used against you. Fist under nose or fingers in eyes, ladies. Aim to come out the other side. Has to work in one move. That's the theory. I have always found myself gobsmacked and paralysed in dodgy situations.

1 hour ago, optimista said:

... fingers in eyes, ladies. Aim to come out the other side. Has to work in one move. That's the theory. I have always found myself gobsmacked and paralysed in dodgy situations.

Some kid told me that at her karate class they practised this move...

with jelly (GB) heads     (jello USA heads )

1 hour ago, optimista said:

The first thing that goes when we panic is our fine motor skills. Generally these things escalate too fast to dig out a securely concealed weapon. Which can be taken off you and used against you. Fist under nose or fingers in eyes, ladies. Aim to come out the other side. Has to work in one move. That's the theory. I have always found myself gobsmacked and paralysed in dodgy situations.

My dad always said that an elbow to the throat was the best move.:lol:

2 hours ago, AlexTr said:

I've also been told that the use of pepper spray on people is problematic under the law.

It's been posted many times that you may use it in self-defence, though it has to be proven. I think just showing the thing would hopefully act as a deterrent. 

2 hours ago, optimista said:

Oh, yeah, I am flummoxed as to why my daughter's cookies stuck to the non-stick cake tray after a good greasing. What does one have to do to make them come away clean?

After greasing, use some breadcrumbs.

Or just use baking paper...

if you're going to stick any digits in anything, use your thumbs.

Also, if it comes down to blunt force, smash with the side/bottom of your closed fist, knuckles are sensitive and you can deliver more force with a downward/sideward pounding motion than a horizontal punch.

1 minute ago, Sannerl said:

After greasing, use some breadcrumbs.

Or just use baking paper...

right, either flour the pan or--better--use baking paper. I just put the paper on the wire rack, cookies always come out great.  I fold up the baking paper and put it away to use it over and over again until it gets a tear.

5 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

if you're going to stick any digits in anything, use your thumbs.

Also, if it comes down to blunt force, smash with the side/bottom of your closed fist, knuckles are sensitive and you can deliver more force with a downward/sideward pounding motion than a horizontal punch.

My dad always told me... "Dont use your fists untily your feet are bleeding"...    apparently the coppers always look for hand damage first!!

9 hours ago, optimista said:

Use silicone mats, even better than parchment paper. You can cut them to size for use in cake pans, as well.

Love it!

Hollywood meets Toytown! 

:lol:

On 2/22/2021, 5:41:07, AlexTr said:

I was waiting in my car outside my doctor's office today when a man came up to my car and banged on the window. I was not parked incorrectly and was not blocking any cars in. He had on a mask and was trying to speak to me through my closed car window. I was just about to turn on the car and roll down the window WHEN THE FUCKER TRIED TO OPEN MY DOOR! Thank god it was locked. I started screaming at him to go away. He just threw his hands up in the air and got in his car and drove away. I told my doctor and the doc had no idea who he was or what he wanted. I am totally freaked out by this behavior and flummoxed as to why TRYING THE GODDAMNED CAR DOOR OF A STRANGER would ever be okay.

On 1/23/2021, 8:08:38, AlexTr said:

I had a similar thing last week. I came out of our little grocery that opens directly onto a large swath of zebra-striped walk. A woman in an Audi sped into it and blocked my progress, so, I patiently waited. Then, she finally pulled off and began to park forward in a space only to quickly throw the car into reverse nearly hitting my cart. "Learn to drive!"I shouted and this poor unfortunate woman rolled down her window to yell at me. "You saw that I was waiting for you to go! Why didn't you go?" I laughed at her. She called me a name out the open window to which I replied in English, "Shut up before you get hurt. Really, shut dafuq up." 

Alex, you seem to attract these incidents. 

I wonder why that is? 

On 2/22/2021, 5:41:07, AlexTr said:

Fucking old white guy with a sense of entitlement to other people's time and attention.

It might have been Joe Biden forgetting which country his car was parked in! 

Of course, that is a joke!

But what's with the casual racism, Alex? 

On 2/22/2021, 5:55:12, Metall said:

Entitled old white guy trying to tell a female what she done wrong. *anger*

You really are easily led, Metall! 

On 2/22/2021, 6:33:16, AlexTr said:

The only item I had with which to assist myself was my Buck 110.

11 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Guys, like I say, this is not Hollywood and stabbing someone is not something you just do, unless you have issues, or are trained. 

Lock your doors or run away because you will look rather stupid with your own knife sicking out of your arse. 

2 hours ago, katheliz said:

Use silicone mats, even better than parchment paper. You can cut them to size for use in cake pans, as well.

Good Idea, thanks :)