What's got you flummoxed today?

7,348 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Thanks, Leon. I see. The OP was selling and not auctioning. I don't use eBay and always think it is an auction site with buy now options. Didn't know people can just pick up items.

Aside from the eBay auction site, there are also eBay kleinanzeigen where you can give your contact info and sell locally, I assumed that's where they were selling it since they are getting flooded with questions.  On the auction site, you don't ask the seller what's their lowest price, you simply bid on it.

I have procurement people who get stuff for me off of eBay and such. I am a good Amazon shopper, though.

:lol:

Yes, I'm spoiled.

Being banned from a virtual meet-up because I used to smoke (only a few puffs and always left the room and kept my distance when in the open)...

(I quit smoking completely months ago.)

10 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

Being banned from a virtual meet-up because I used to smoke (only a few puffs and always left the room and kept my distance when in the open)...

(I quit smoking completely months ago.)

Tell them (online) you'll wear a mask. 

1 minute ago, cybil said:

Tell them (online) you'll wear a mask. 

Excellent advice! - Especially since I've seen that person coughing (online)...

Thank you. :)

Generation X, generation Y, generation Z (kids born 1990s to early 2010s). Then what? Are kids born recently 'classed' as? Post-Generation Z?  The corona generation'? 

16 minutes ago, cybil said:

Generation X, generation Y, generation Z (kids born 1990s to early 2010s). Then what? Are kids born recently 'classed' as? Post-Generation Z?  The corona generation'? 

Don't they start with A again :lol:?

The middle to town end of Schwantalerstrasse, WTF? This has to be the most dug up,surfaced, dug up, re-surfaced,dug up, re-surfaced,dug up, re-surfaced,dug up, re-surfaced road in the city...  

Anyone  ?

39 minutes ago, pash in munich said:

The middle to town end of Schwantalerstrasse, WTF? This has to be the most dug up,surfaced, dug up, re-surfaced,dug up, re-surfaced,dug up, re-surfaced,dug up, re-surfaced road in the city...  

Anyone  ?

That reminds me of a lady I worked for ca. 1990 and she looked at the workers working on the street again and commented: Deutschland, die ewige Baustelle. (Germany, the everlasting building site.) That comment still rings true today.

In the Netherlands the police discovered €12,5 million cash in a secret room in a house. Criminal money. What flummoxes me is that the notes ranging from €5 to €500 were put in shopping bags weighing 255 kilos!!

8 hours ago, john g. said:

I know  that the Lord of the Flies was a depressing work of fiction. What I didn‘t know was that a Lord of the Flies scenario really did happen elsewhere!

And with a happy ending!

Fascinating article today!

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/may/09/the-real-lord-of-the-flies-what-happened-when-six-boys-were-shipwrecked-for-15-months

I did LOTFlies, for English Lit O level. Nasty little boys!!  A level reads much more interesting!

Same here, Red! I was nearly 16. That was one of the books and I didn‘t understand it - teacher was also boring.

Fortunately - guess what? The film came to town in Southend at the flicks and that made it understandable. About a week or so before the English „0“  Level exam!😜

My Nicole had never heard of it but told me the story of Juana Maria, a native American who was rescued after living alone off the coast of California for 18 years.

She had tried to rescue her little brother and ended up stranded there. Sad but fascinating true story and a movie was made about it in the 1960s.

That Guardian article was great John - just been discussing with my kids about Golding's state of mind as he wrote, and about the LOTF mindset. The Oceania true story is rather fun - the dude whose boat was nicked having them arrested on arrival :lol: 

That economic stimulous check in the ammount of 1200 USD arrived in my mailbox from the US Treasury. I only have an online banking account. My bank doesn't accept paper checks from overseas and asks that I have that money just transferred to my online account. That doesn't work either. What to do? Must I now open a 'real bank' account just to cash this check out? 

6 minutes ago, cybil said:

That economic stimulous check in the ammount of 1200 USD arrived in my mailbox from the US Treasury. I only have an online banking account. My bank doesn't accept paper checks from overseas and asks that I have that money just transferred to my online account. That doesn't work either. What to do? Must I now open a 'real bank' account just to cash this check out? 

You can sign the check over to a friend who has a "real" bank account and ask them to deposit it for you, then transfer you the money.

I'm going to attempt making a mobile deposit with my Samsung Galaxy 2 as my financial guy told me I can do instead of snail mail.

I've never gotten an app so my people will help me.

Of course it's a U.S. bank.

Drove though Mecklenburg-Vorpommern the other day.

Couldn't believe it when I saw what appeared to be ostriches wandering across a ploughed  field towards a wood.

Not fenced in - free range, as it were.

Have just googled and found they were probably "Nandos" (German for Rhea). (1m high to body and 20Kg)
Somewhat smaller than an ostrich. (Up to 1.5m body and 30Kg)

But still flummoxed at such wildlife

Wiki Rhea (English)

Wiki Nandu (German) - with reference to why they run about in N Germany

In the year 2000, several Nandus escaped from a free range farm in Schleswig-Holstein near the border with Mecklenburg-Pomerania, and moved from there to the district of North-Western Mecklenburg, where they were observed in the lowlands of the Wakenitz, in the area between Schattin and Herrnburg, and further south near Utecht. Already in 2001 there was an unsuccessful breeding attempt as well as the proof of a successful brood by the observation of a male with 14 chicks, further successful broods were documented in 2002 (1), 2003 (at least 3) and 2004 (at least 5)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52674809

i am not in favour of people burning national flags. I find it stupid. But should people be gaoled for it?

Anyway, this article’s headline mentions Germany banning the burning ( defiling ) of national and the EU flag.

But what flummoxed me- Ode to Joy is included in the ban! How do you burn or defile a song? What does the journalist mean? Booing it?