What's got you flummoxed today?

7,348 posts in this topic

Renter's burial was yesterday. I didn't attend as only two people plus funeral director were allowed, so of course the immediate family were the two. Renter's wish had long been and was, she'd said, in her testament: sprinkle my ashes into the Rhine. For some reason, perhaps a German law or perhaps current restrictions, her ashes were buried in the cemetary at the end of our street instead. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, cybil said:

 Renter's wish had long been and was, she'd said, in her testament: sprinkle my ashes into the Rhine. For some reason, perhaps a German law or perhaps current restrictions, her ashes were buried in the cemetary at the end of our street instead. 

 

AFAIK Germany won't allow ashes in the river.

However, some funeral companies will take the ashes into Holland (further down the Rhine) 

where they are then allowed to sprinkle onto the river.

 

First company delivers (cremation) burial on the river

 

Very sad that their last wishes were not respected for whatever reason. 

Bad enough that the mourners are not be allowed to the funeral.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leaf blowers. Plus the operators (like our caretaker) not wearing a mask.

 

There's one blowing right now - in the middle of  Mittagsruhe, too (the times are even more restricted for those infernal pollution machines).

 

The leaves aren't the only things that go up into the air...

 

A broom and a shovel are much more effective. Faster, too.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

Leaf blowers. Plus the operators (like our caretaker) not wearing a mask.

There's one blowing right now - in the middle of  Mittagsruhe, too (the times are even more restricted for those infernal pollution machines).

The leaves aren't the only things that go up into the air...

A broom and a shovel are much more effective. Faster, too.

 

A lot of the leaf blower operators are way too fat and out of shape to actually do physical labor like raking leaves...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Metall said:

 

A lot of the leaf blower operators are way too fat and out of shape to actually do physical labor like raking leaves...

 

Do you have a link to that statement?    I know a few dozen guys who opperate leaf blowers and they arent fat ... 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Leaf blowers are much more efficient and that is why they use them. I've done it both ways.

 

 

 

No fun with all the germs, insects and viruses blown into the air.

I don't want to breath in dried dog do.

 

Did you collect the leaves afterwards? Yes? Good! - Because our caretaker doesn't. Just blows them from the sidewalk onto the street.

Efficient?!? Not that way.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just remembering all the words and keep up with the faster and faster tempo was pretty amazing to me.

 

And no, you aren't mean. I know fuck all about rap.

 

What about Rita Wilson, Tom Hanks' wife? I sent this one to my son and he raised me Daniel Radcliff. :)

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hard to tell with the accompaniment in the background but she does seem to have done a "better" job.  A big part of rap is the inflection of the voice, of course.  I thought Rita reproduced the "style" of the text better than Daniel, who affected an American accent (but not the one in the original Blackalicious song) and then recited the lyrics in the same manner he might if he were speaking normally, just a bit faster--and although it might not seem like it, rapping is actually a teeny bit more complicated then just fast talking.  It's like if a person can technically sing in tune but has no twang, sure, you can sing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star but can you sing Gloria Gaynor?                                                                                    

 

I liked Rita a lot, though! 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the last few weeks, yeast has been all but impossible to buy in the shops around here.

I did find some eventually and pizzas, bread rolls / Hefezopf for Easter was the result.

 

What I have never seen in Germany (or anywhere else for that matter) was 

fresh yeast in 500g blocks.

 

Hence my flummox as there's no yeast in small packets (dried) or large 42g cubes

to be had but now half kilo blocks!

 

For the uninitiated, 5g of dried yeast would make 1kg of bread or pizza.

As would 10g of fresh yeast.

 

500g of yeast would last me all year - bread wise - but would surely go off after a week in the fridge and freezing it sounds like a real drag...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I was selling a children vehicle via eBay. In the afternoon i found I was flooded with requests for that. Well I am an honest one trying to do the right thing. Therefore I answer the requests in order they got in. I answer back to a certain Krisztina L first (that account had answered literally minutes after I published the offer stating they were living pretty close and were highly interested for their kid if they can come over trying whether size matches). Of course you can have a try. Just come over. Please if possible come soon since there are many requests. Next morning 6.30 am  I get the following answer "Sry, haben doch keine Zeit (Krankenhaus Aufenthalt) und Kind will ne andere Farbe. Danke!"

Seriously? In a Corona pandemy you excuse yourself with a hospital stay? Next time Il just answer to all requestors in one email please come here by 11 am on Date x and see who wins the bidding instead of trying to be fair and answering in line of incoming requests. Dumb cow. Why are there so many idiots rampaging eBay. Ive seen this often. People sending messages like can you please set this aside for me until day x when so am returning from wherever or am getting paid or other tales and then never returning. I started answering those requests with yes of course and then deleting the conversation and going my ways not setting anything anywhere. Other usual categories are "was ist letzte Preis" irrespective of whether your offer gives fixed price or not. My highlight was a request for "kann man am Preis noch was machen" for a giveaway for 1 Euro. More a symbolic request from my side. Is that a hobby here? Making eBay useless by silly requests? Shushing away being bored out of your mind? Next we will see offers just put in there for the fun of it and if someone is interested you just answer oh its sold? 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

Next time Il just answer to all requestors in one email please come here by 11 am on Date x and see who wins the bidding instead of trying to be fair and answering in line of incoming requests. 

 

Good idea.  There's always price haggling when you are trying to sell something and even if you were giving it away, you can get some strange customers who string you along, don't show up, want you to bring it to their house etc.  An auction sounds like a great idea.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

Next time Il just answer to all requestors in one email please come here by 11 am on Date x and see who wins the bidding instead of trying to be fair and answering in line of incoming requests.

 

Do you seriously want so many people showing up on your doorstep?

 

If you just want to get rid of stuff and don't need the money, why don't you see what charities are looking for donations in your area? I know that there was a request for donations for low income families in my area.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15.4.2020, 18:13:53, HH_Sailor said:

What I have never seen in Germany (or anywhere else for that matter) was 

fresh yeast in 500g blocks.

 

It was probably originally packaged for bakeries.

 

I was reading an article that the UK has more than enough flour, however, now has a huge distribution problem. Since so many restaurants and cafés are closed, there is an oversupply of huge sacks of flour, however, there is not enough packaging for smaller retail sizes.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, engelchen said:

 

Do you seriously want so many people showing up on your doorstep?

 

If you just want to get rid of stuff and don't need the money, why don't you see what charities are looking for donations in your area? I know that there was a request for donations for low income families in my area.

 

And if they do need the money but don't want a lot of ppl showing up, they can do a silent auction instead.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, LeonG said:

 

Good idea.  There's always price haggling when you are trying to sell something and even if you were giving it away, you can get some strange customers who string you along, don't show up, want you to bring it to their house etc.  An auction sounds like a great idea.

 

waitwhat.jpg.415acf1d9f9d72e368d20e2bb8a

 

Isn't eBay an auction site?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Isn't eBay an auction site?

 

Sure, if you want to sell through eBay, absolutely.  I would never bother because first I'd have to ship it, second, there are scammers who'll say it didn't arrive, it arrived broken or whatever, they can get their payment back through paypal and paypal and eBay almost always side with the buyer.  If I want to get rid of something, I'd either sell it locally or give it away locally.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

So I was selling a children vehicle via eBay.

 

Thanks, Leon. I see. The OP was selling and not auctioning. I don't use eBay and always think it is an auction site with buy now options. Didn't know people can just pick up items.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now