What's got you flummoxed today?

7,341 posts in this topic

DHL delivery - no gloves, no mask but demanding my signature. - I had my scarf and gloves ready and reported that.

I would have agreed to a delivery point, but I didn't have the data available.The package is in quarantine for two days (card board box) now.

21 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

DHL delivery - no gloves, no mask but demanding my signature. - I had my scarf and gloves ready and reported that.

I would have agreed to a delivery point, but I didn't have the data available.The package is in quarantine for two days (card board box) now.

Oh - the guy who took my complaint initially stated (upon my remark) that he "didn't watch the news". - He does now, after having spoken to his superiors...

When we've been watching Babylon Berlin, there have been moments

where my Ger-Wife and I have discussed history. Mostly we've had to look it up 

somewhere. Who was Reichspresident? who was involved in the coup?

how was the Weimar Rebublic formed? and such...

Last night, during a BB series 3 episode set in 1929, there was a beheading

in a prison setting.

(spoiler alert - not at all gory, very subtly performed.)

My flummox: (well - more of a shock info for me really)

Germany had capital punishment using an axe and

sometimes a guillotine, up until 1949. (DDR until 1966)

I knew the Gestapo beheaded people during WWII but didn't realise that it was 

the method of choice for decades for the country up until then.

Wiki

2 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

When we've been watching Babylon Berlin, there have been moments

where my Ger-Wife and I have discussed history. Mostly we've had to look it up 

somewhere. Who was Reichspresident? who was involved in the coup?

how was the Weimar Rebublic formed? and such...

Last night, during a BB series 3 episode set in 1929, there was a beheading

in a prison setting.

(spoiler alert - not at all gory, very subtly performed.)

My flummox: (well - more of a shock info for me really)

Germany had capital punishment using an axe and

sometimes a guillotine, up until 1949. (DDR until 1966)

I knew the Gestapo beheaded people during WWII but didn't realise that it was 

the method of choice for decades for the country up until then.

Wiki

Death penalties are barbaric imo - but if one persists on it, what is more "humane"?

Warning: Not for the faint of heart.

In the US, execution by injection usually turns into death by torture. :(

3 minutes ago, Metall said:

In the US, execution by injection usually turns into death by torture. :(

Well, good thing the Constitution says that cruel and unusual punishment is not allowed.

One of the features of Facebook are the notifications of birthdays among your befriended folks, so that you can wish a happy birthday (only if one has given Facebook the DOB, though).

Missed TT-member @Uncle Nick did so, his birthday was yesterday, and a whopping number of 8 people wished him a happy birthday within the last hours.

How shallow are these social media when people wish the best in a robot like automated reflex but do not realize that somebody already died in 2017?

Flummoxed...

My son's friends wished him happy birthday on FB for some years after he died. They were personal messages about missing him. Not bots. I'm not on FB so I don't know if they still do.

But I get your point. People have too much crap to keep up with with all of these automated services.

I miss Uncle Nick like crazy.

I used to get regular invitations on LinkedIN to connect with a flying friend & neurologist who passed away some years ago.

Finally I lost patience & found how to report someone had passed away & managed to find a newspaper obituary

(complete with photo) so I was able to include the link.  They accepted that pretty rapidly (report was in German).

1 hour ago, HEM said:

Finally I lost patience & found how to report someone had passed away & managed to find a newspaper obituary

(complete with photo) so I was able to include the link.  They accepted that pretty rapidly (report was in German).

I did that on facebook too... But only if I had newspaper obituaries available. Not available to me in this case...

Last night my sister told me that there were folk outside the hospital where Boris Johnson is staying, giving him a clap. What the h@ll is this current UK obsession with clapping? I get that when, say, George Best died, rather than half a minute's silence at the stadium, it was a more fitting gesture for fans to give a minute's standing applause...but for when someone is ill? I can't think of a more useless idea. Perhaps the future Tory health policy (post-Corona austerity anyone?) will lead to doctors in critical wards saying: "well, we could try a transfusion, or possibly defibrillation...or, perhaps it's best if we just stand outside the door and give him a jolly good round of applause."  

On 5.4.2020, 17:57:01, franklan said:

One of the features of Facebook are the notifications of birthdays among your befriended folks, so that you can wish a happy birthday (only if one has given Facebook the DOB, though).

Missed TT-member @Uncle Nick did so, his birthday was yesterday, and a whopping number of 8 people wished him a happy birthday within the last hours.

On 5.4.2020, 18:16:20, fraufruit said:

I miss Uncle Nick like crazy.

Uncle Nick was a very sweet guy who shared fun hobbies (curry night, sports viewing, creating/editing sports videos etc.).

Mr Metall and I went to local baseball games with him, shared dinner... We miss him, too.

3 hours ago, dstanners said:

Last night my sister told me that there were folk outside the hospital where Boris Johnson is staying, giving him a clap. What the h@ll is this current UK obsession with clapping? I get that when, say, George Best died, rather than half a minute's silence at the stadium, it was a more fitting gesture for fans to give a minute's standing applause...but for when someone is ill? I can't think of a more useless idea. Perhaps the future Tory health policy (post-Corona austerity anyone?) will lead to doctors in critical wards saying: "well, we could try a transfusion, or possibly defibrillation...or, perhaps it's best if we just stand outside the door and give him a jolly good round of applause."  

Maybe they weren't Boris Johnson fans and were rooting for the Grim Reaper.

I was a bit flummoxed - and annoyed - by Raab's comment that Boris Johnson would come through this since he is "a fighter". Was wondering if he thought the people who have died from it didn't fight hard enough. 

21 minutes ago, Elljay said:

I was a bit flummoxed - and annoyed - by Raab's comment that Boris Johnson would come through this since he is "a fighter". Was wondering if he thought the people who have died from it didn't fight hard enough. 

I think it is normal that people at least try to be positive when friends or family are sick, Elljay. 

I guess it is also normal that people like you read the papers and are prompted to ask stupid questions. 

Or are you a dumbass journalist? 

It would fit.

Bestest,

Hf99

My point was that Raab didn't make the announcement as Johnson's friend, but as a government official. 

I just spilled a full glass of mineral water on my desk. None went in my keyboard. It was a 2 tea towel clean up. No biggy.

I walked into the living room and Himself just spilled a whole weissbier all over the table and floor. He had taken his electronic accordion apart and, luckily, none got in there. Guess who will me mopping?

(Oh, the cleaner was here yesterday.)

WTF?