What's got you flummoxed today?

7,273 posts in this topic

I'm flummoxed how vindictive our elderly neighbour is towards our other neighbour.  She has a lovely large garden and chose to have 3 perfectly healthy dense conifers removed that were home to a large population of birds.  The other neighbour's lounge window now looks out directly onto her bin area an her dilapidated garage instead of the conifers where they had placed several bird feeders at the boudary fence. Sad for nature!

Today, an electrician and apprentice installed a new intercom system in my Altbau apartment. It took 3 hours instead of the planned 1 hour job. He was swearing a lot. I asked him what in Gods name are all these cables behind the doorbell. He didn't know.

image.jpeg

On 23.2.2020, 12:23:34, AlexTr said:

So, I broke down and treated the surface like a dull car finish. I washed and clay barred the surface, cleaned it with an alcohol-based cleaner, and waxed it using Sonax Polish & Wax 3. 

How long does car polish and wax hold up on a kitchen counter? My resopal countertop doesn't look too hot, either. ;)

7 hours ago, Metall said:

How long does car polish and wax hold up on a kitchen counter? My resopal countertop doesn't look too hot, either. ;)

I'm working on that. Around the stove where steaming pot lids go has not done so well. The long run looks great still. I'm going to move to carnauba and my oscillating buffer this weekend for around the stove.

Is using car polish a really good idea on a surface where you prepare food? Just what do they put in the polish and is it carcinogenic and will it over time leach into food stuffs?

22 minutes ago, French bean said:

Is using car polish a really good idea on a surface where you prepare food? Just what do they put in the polish and is it carcinogenic and will it over time leach into food stuffs?

You obviously don't prepare food. I never use the countertop to lay food unless it is unwashed produce. Meat goes on a cutting board that is color-coded to be always different from my vegetable cutting board. No food is ever layed directly on the counter. Yuck. That's just begging for salmonella. 

Rolling pastry or kneading bread takes place in the Sailor household

directly on the counter top.

(Meat / Veg do get chopped on a board)

We survived so far.

But then I only clean up with soap / water.

38 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

You obviously don't prepare food. I never use the countertop to lay food unless it is unwashed produce. Meat goes on a cutting board that is color-coded to be always different from my vegetable cutting board. No food is ever layed directly on the counter. Yuck. That's just begging for salmonella. 

You obviously never breathe in the kitchen.

21 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Rolling pastry or kneading bread takes place in the Sailor household

directly on the counter top.

(Meat / Veg do get chopped on a board)

We survived so far.

But then I only clean up with soap / water.

My counter tops are textured. I wouldn't knead bread dough on them, anyway, as I have a bread board for that.

@Sannerl That was nearly amusing.

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

You obviously prepare food differently from me. I cook throughout the week and I do use chopping boards but as I cook for the family, things sometimes fall off the board. My daughter prepares her school lunch and I cannot guarentee that she won't put things on the surface. There are also fruit and veg that we all put on the surface and not necessarily on a board. However ours is a working kitchen for food preparation and not a designer kitchen to show off in.

As for general hygiene, I do wash hands for cooking and between touching meat and other food stuffs. I prefer cleaning tops with a vinegar based cleaning fluid though not always possible. My biggest concern is the chemicals used in these cleaning fluids and how much can leach into the food.

@French bean I thoroughly agree that having children in a kitchen sends all systems for food prep hygiene out the window. I worked in commercial kitchens once upon a time and prefer a three sink method to a two sink and would prefer to always have stainless steel work surfaces, but we don't always get that much control, do we? I wish you luck.

37 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@French bean I thoroughly agree that having children in a kitchen sends all systems for food prep hygiene out the window. I worked in commercial kitchens once upon a time and prefer a three sink method to a two sink and would prefer to always have stainless steel work surfaces, but we don't always get that much control, do we? I wish you luck.

Never underestimate children. They learn more by observing than you give them credit for. I learned a lot back then.

Commercial kitchens as a shining example? Seriously?!?

My kitchen is far from perfect, but I never ever ever had to be concerned about salmonella or any cases of food poisoning.

Not shiny, but certainly not car-finish-poisonous.

16 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Today, an electrician and apprentice installed a new intercom system in my Altbau apartment. It took 3 hours instead of the planned 1 hour job. He was swearing a lot. I asked him what in Gods name are all these cables behind the doorbell. He didn't know.

image.jpeg

The red one's Russia, the blue one the USA,  the yellow one you know who. You're going to need at least five rolls of tinfoil.

So the white ones then are for white magic and the brown ones for erm yes. Thats for sure a lot of wiring for one doorbell.

2x power in

2x open the door

2x flat mike to door speaker 

2x door mike to flat speaker

4x video to flat

4x video from flat

2x bell in flat

2x buzzer at door

Some of these then daisy chain to next flat

(eg intercom into next flat with baby phone monitoring)

Maybe, sometime in the past all this and more was set up.

These days it could work as ethernet cable (eg CAT 5 with 8 lines)

and of course another ethernet to the next flat.

On 26.2.2020, 22:52:40, LukeSkywalker said:

image.jpeg

The problem here: The white ones are twisted with the colored ones, E.g. one white is twisted with Red, one white is twisted with blue and so on... If you find them untwisted as in this picture... It's time to yell...