What's got you flummoxed today?

7,330 posts in this topic

"(instead of the one child policy they should have introduced a zero child policy)"...

57 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

There is a huge difference between burying a dead baby in a flower pot and throwing a living creature out a window.  I'm really not seeing any equivalence here.  I guess that's why this is the "flummoxed" thread?

That's true.  The living creatures should not have been thrown out of the windows and the infanticides should not have been committed.  All are morally reprehensible.  But AnswerToLife42's extremely unkind stmt about the Chinese is totally out of bounds and triggered Sannerl (it shocked me too).  Sorry, but we can not logically conclude that all Chinese are pet killers because some of them behaved miserably.  And of course infanticide is a German/Austrian outlier.

Frankly, I think we are all on the brink right now between Brexit and related racist chants we just saw some other posts, the soon to be acquittal of DJT, and whatever personal trials and tribulations each or any of us may have.  World events are perhaps not bringing out the best in us.  I'm going to drink a glass of wine and try and let it go.  Tomorrow is another day, and hopefully it will feel a little better.

Yes I see you brought up infanticide - good on you to stick with it.

women and men all over the world commit infanticide.  I'm still not sure what that has to do with burying babies (or pets) in flowerpots.  Babies do die from natural causes.  But yeah - infanticide!!!!

2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

There is a huge difference between burying a dead baby in a flower pot and throwing a living creature out a window.  I'm really not seeing any equivalence here.  I guess that's why this is the "flummoxed" thread?

The parallel being drawn is the extremely broad brush being used to paint entire groups of people based on terrible, disgusting, fucking stupid shit that callous, misguided people do.

There is more that connects us than divides us. Especially at this moment in time.

Let's do better.

That "Sling your hook" headline was quite inspired though. And he had quite a following despite being or perhaps because of being such an evil git. Which is flummoxing.

Last night in a quiet spot we very nearly got sucked up by a freak weather phenomenon and spat out again... but fortunately only very nearly. Explaining any aftermath would have been fun. The wind got up and within seconds started gusting. There was a weird and increasingly loud sound a bit like a Pratt and Whitney. The car started to wobble in a circular motion. Buffeted does not describe it. The wind got stronger and stronger, the noise was immediately above us and the car felt like it was gonna lift, when was this gonna stop?? Then it passed as quickly as it arrived, the whole experience less than a minute. I am guessing we were in the path of a mini tornado that didn't touch down. Going out to check the landscape.

There always have been smaller tornadoes in Germany and France. I even saw one myself over open land near Wuerzburg two years ago.

On today's episode of "The Crap Your Pants Home Improvement Show", while installing a ceiling lamp, Alex finds out the hard way that some previous tenant has stripped a 2mm section of an electrical wire every 1cm along the entire length of the wire.

10 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

On today's episode of "The Crap Your Pants Home Improvement Show", while installing a ceiling lamp, Alex finds out the hard way that some previous tenant has stripped a 2mm section of an electrical wire every 1cm along the entire length of the wire.

You have to let the electrons breathe, Alex, or they'll suffocate on their way to the bulb.

And then you'd have to bury them in little tiny flower pots. Ain't nobody got time for that.

And it helps if one of them gets sea sick while floating along. They can always stop and take a rest with fresh air before travelling on. Poor little buggers always on the run.

1 hour ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

And it helps if one of them gets sea sick while floating along. They can always stop and take a rest with fresh air before travelling on. Poor little buggers always on the run.

And the flummoxing thing is, that electrons in house wires (AC) don't go anywhere...

In a DC wire, they'd only travel at a few mm per hour. Electrons asked to move due to an AC

current only blip here and back again.

So some of the buggers get a breather all the time - and the rest are stuck behind the plastic insulation. 

Electric drift - not to be confused with speed of electricity.

my mom had a very weird - I don't even know what to call it - a fantasy? - that led her to believe there were little piles of electrons building up on the floor in front of outlets that weren't plugged.

She KNEW this wasn't true, but she still imagined little piles of electrons all around the house :)

Love that picture. Can see them dropping out. Have you ever had that moment when unpluggibg a radio and the plug is out but radio plays a millisecond on before dying? Can you see the last tiny electrons  jumping to catch the leaving plug swinging themselve up and disappearing into the wire sort of like jumping ship last moment. I can hear them running towards the radio saying whoa that was close.