What's got you flummoxed today?

7,341 posts in this topic

Why "alleged" ? Do I smell more political correctness? A copper's reading of a breathaliser no longer enough? Let me guess, the perp has to be charged and prosecuted for it to be a fact?

1 hour ago, optimista said:

Why "alleged" ? Do I smell more political correctness? A copper's reading of a breathaliser no longer enough? Let me guess, the perp has to be charged and prosecuted for it to be a fact?

Well yes.  Something to do with being innocent until proven guilty?  Ring any bells?   

Well if you want to be really pedantic and the perp is not actually guilty until he is declared as such in a court, why not just let him carry on his merry way behind the wheel?

Because there's a difference between police procedures and news reporting?

Do you really have to ask these questions?

Ah, a bloke telling a woman to shut up. Well, that's original.

I am flummoxed at the way the powers that be simply allow posters to Copy and paste from other sites... 

TT is getting a bit like Twitter...    or is that Twatter?    LOL

Flummoxed, BTW, is an awesome word!  It’s right up there with Flabbergasted and Persnickety.  😂😂😂

4 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Flummoxed, BTW, is an awesome word!  It’s right up there with Flabbergasted and Persnickety.  😂😂😂

I like "nincompoop".

Week 2 of in-laws marathon. Flummox factors:

- I’m still sick. Before we came I had flu, week 1 I was coughing like crazy, this week I’ve got the mama of all head colds. I never got or stayed sick so long before I came to Germany, although it might just be that I’m nearly 40?

- asthma

- listening to the in-laws (E Europe) talking over the kids, sometimes even complaining the kids don’t speak the language, but not teaching them to speak. So exhausting. I constantly make the effort to help their English, constantly. Sometimes even encourage them to speak my wife’s language, but really I can’t teach them, the in-laws need to.

- same as above, but me. I’ve actually gotten off my butt and studied this language but I can’t speak it well because no one talks to me!

- no plans. Admittedly my folks are not great at this either, but at least they tend to overbearing just booking up activities without asking, but at least they do sometimes talk to me about it. And if I take the kids somewhere, apparently I’m very bad for doing so.

- Eastern European “hospitality”

On 1/7/2020, 4:41:44, sos-the-rope said:

Week 2 of in-laws marathon. Flummox factors:

- I’m still sick. Before we came I had flu, week 1 I was coughing like crazy, this week I’ve got the mama of all head colds. I never got or stayed sick so long before I came to Germany, although it might just be that I’m nearly 40?

- asthma

- listening to the in-laws (E Europe) talking over the kids, sometimes even complaining the kids don’t speak the language, but not teaching them to speak. So exhausting. I constantly make the effort to help their English, constantly. Sometimes even encourage them to speak my wife’s language, but really I can’t teach them, the in-laws need to.

- same as above, but me. I’ve actually gotten off my butt and studied this language but I can’t speak it well because no one talks to me!

- no plans. Admittedly my folks are not great at this either, but at least they tend to overbearing just booking up activities without asking, but at least they do sometimes talk to me about it. And if I take the kids somewhere, apparently I’m very bad for doing so.

- Eastern European “hospitality”

Whelp, back to the grind soon.

Thank goodness I’m almost  healthy again! Wouldn’t want to miss a day ;-)

Maybe it’s a good running start for getting back to office life ;-)

i seem to have broken flummoxed, no one else is flummoxed right now?!

17 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

Whelp, back to the grind soon.

Thank goodness I’m almost  healthy again! Wouldn’t want to miss a day ;-)

Maybe it’s a good running start for getting back to office life ;-)

i seem to have broken flummoxed, no one else is flummoxed right now?!

I don’t mind about the environmental factors but the language thing gets to me.

i put in so many hours to help the kids learn about English culture and language.

but listening to this talk about how people leave the country and don’t come back, don’t teach the kids the language... well, you can’t have your cake and eat it, just going along with a bourgeois lifestyle and expecting someone else to do things... that’s how we ended up with brexit and worse...

forget it SOS... you wont win....

My ex always used to bang on.. "Speak German.. speak German... "You need to learn German.. you must learn German and so on..."...  

I now speak the lingo relatively well, my neighbours all say its very good and certainly more than exceptable... my exes daughter says its very good ( and she was always very critical about it)....

Now, when I talk to my ex in German... she says "Speak English, your german is shit"... 

The lesson being...  "dont fucking talk to the enemy!!"... :lol::lol:

Just now, SpiderPig said:

forget it SOS... you wont win...

My ex always used to bang on.. "Speak German.. speak German... "You need to learn German.. you must learn German and so on..."...  

I now speak the lingo relatively well, my neighbours all say its very good and certainly more than exceptable... my exes daughter says its very good ( and she was always very critical about it)...

Now, when I talk to my ex in German... she says "Speak English, your german is shit"... 

I already spoke fluent German before I came here... I’m actually talking about the smaller Eastern European language of my in-laws. Which I can also understand just fine and even talk if get a word in edgeways.

but your point definitely holds!!!

I am not really flummoxed ( 6 years here ) but this has to go somewhere!

:lol:

On our way to a shop which sells marble slaps, we saw a  (probably ) granddad wearing no helmet on his motorbike and a child holding onto him..also without a helmet. One mistake and that child is dead or disabled...

In the marble workshop..two guys on their machines...a real racket...just so noisy..and no ear plugs or anything. They were about 30 and will have severe hearing problems soon-ish..jeez.

Health and Safety is a joke here.

42 minutes ago, john g. said:

On our way to a shop which sells marble slaps, we saw a  (probably ) granddad wearing no helmet on his motorbike and a child holding onto him..also without a helmet. One mistake and that child is dead or disabled...

I dunno whether I posted this already: my daughter works in the lab of a nearby forensic medicine unit.

She sometimes gets "Hirntot Diagnistic" & so it was last week.

The subject was a female relative of one of the colleagues at work.

My daughter took a look in the documentation "fell off horse whilst at full gallop & without a helmet".

My daughter always wears a helmet.

On January 11, 2020 at 3:44:35 AM, SpiderPig said:

forget it SOS... you wont win...

I now speak the lingo relatively well, my neighbours all say its very good and certainly more than exceptable... my exes daughter says its very good ( and she was always very critical about it)...

Think you mean -" acceptable"?! 

On 2/1/2020, 4:35:33, AnswerToLife42 said:

Chinese people eat everything that has four legs, except tables.

However, when they think that their pet animals could be carriers of the corona viruses they throw them out of the apartment windows.

And both Austrians and Germans bury dead babies in flower pots.

There is a huge difference between burying a dead baby in a flower pot and throwing a living creature out a window.  I'm really not seeing any equivalence here.  I guess that's why this is the "flummoxed" thread?