What's got you flummoxed today?

7,176 posts in this topic

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/full/10.1086/704991

Making Black Women Scientists under White Empiricism: The Racialization of Epistemology in Physics

Chanda Prescod-Weinstein

Department of Physics and Astronomy and Department of Women’s and Gender Studies
University of New Hampshire, Durham

 

Poor Einstein:

" Who is allowed to be an observer in physics, and who is fundamentally denied the possibility? In this article, I propose that race and ethnicity impact epistemic outcomes in physics, despite the universality of the laws that undergird physics, and I introduce the concept of white empiricism to provide one explanation for why. White empiricism is the phenomenon through which only white people (particularly white men) are read has having a fundamental capacity for objectivity and Black people (particularly Black women) are produced as an ontological other. This phenomenon is stabilized through the production and retention of what Joseph Martin calls prestige asymmetry, which explains how social resources in physics are distributed based on prestige. In American society, Black women are on the losing end of an ontic prestige asymmetry whereby different scientists “garner unequal public approbation” in their everyday lives due to ascribed identities such as gender and race (Martin 2017, 475). White empiricism is one of the mechanisms by which this asymmetry follows Black women physicists into their professional lives. Because white empiricism contravenes core tenets of modern physics (e.g., covariance and relativity), it negatively impacts scientific outcomes and harms the people who are othered.

 

What a bullshit!

Is that still called science in the US?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, seems so, Answer. Seems that I, as a white guy with poor teeth and backache, have to be guilty of something else I am not responsible for. Physics and the rules of the Universe are white? Sorry about that...jeez.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, john g. said:

Physics and the rules of the Universe are white.

 

Dunno where you get that idea from.  Harry Prosper, one of our Manchester PhD students on the JADE experiment at DESY, Hamburg  is now professor of physics in Florida...  I was part of the team that did data acquisition for JADE.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/full/10.1086/704991

Making Black Women Scientists under White Empiricism: The Racialization of Epistemology in Physics

Chanda Prescod-Weinstein

Department of Physics and Astronomy and Department of Women’s and Gender Studies
University of New Hampshire, Durham

 

Poor Einstein:

" Who is allowed to be an observer in physics, and who is fundamentally denied the possibility? In this article, I propose that race and ethnicity impact epistemic outcomes in physics, despite the universality of the laws that undergird physics, and I introduce the concept of white empiricism to provide one explanation for why. White empiricism is the phenomenon through which only white people (particularly white men) are read has having a fundamental capacity for objectivity and Black people (particularly Black women) are produced as an ontological other. This phenomenon is stabilized through the production and retention of what Joseph Martin calls prestige asymmetry, which explains how social resources in physics are distributed based on prestige. In American society, Black women are on the losing end of an ontic prestige asymmetry whereby different scientists “garner unequal public approbation” in their everyday lives due to ascribed identities such as gender and race (Martin 2017, 475). White empiricism is one of the mechanisms by which this asymmetry follows Black women physicists into their professional lives. Because white empiricism contravenes core tenets of modern physics (e.g., covariance and relativity), it negatively impacts scientific outcomes and harms the people who are othered.

 

What a bullshit!

Is that still called science in the US?

 

 

Physics and Astronomy are two fields of science in the U.S. that  is under represented by African-American women and other minorities scholars and intellectuals Dr. Chandra Prescod-Weinstein who wrote this article is one of few African-American astrophysicist. In the U.S. there's 83 African American women who's received a PHD in Physics in the history of the U.S. as of 2017.

 

In 39 years Physic Doctorates went to 66 black women and 22000 white men.   

 

We Know Physics is a largely white and male how striking white and male is it?

 

Meet Dr. Chandra Prescod-Weinstein

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flummoxed that on a chat forum posts are deleted and topics blocked because the conversation meanders into territory not covered by the title... Germanic rigidity perhaps? If so, a little Germanic consistency would be appreciated. That comment about weird smelling menstrual cups on the how to keep a friend is downright deviant.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the old days, there used to be a Removed Post thingy and you could see which post was removed and even get a message as to why a post was removed ( sometimes super sarcastic or even very funny! )

 

Today, on a thread, a post of a TTer was removed, followed by my post and then followed by another poster’s.

 

Fair enough in a way but it would be nice to know why.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Life's too short to ponder the wacky decisions of Those With The Power To Delete...

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, there is a lot of crap that needs to be removed and I don't need to know why. Usually obvious. Even better when I don't have to read it first.

 

I happen to be a non-paying guest here.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing a bit of Spring cleaning in the office today.. there was a wasp! A bloody wasp! He/she/ it left when I opened the door. I didn’t wish it any harm.

 

But a wasp in December???

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Unfortunately, there is a lot of crap that needs to be removed and I don't need to know why. Usually obvious. Even better when I don't have to read it first.

 

I happen to be a non-paying guest here.

 

37 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Unfortunately, there is a lot of crap that needs to be removed and I don't need to know why. Usually obvious. Even better when I don't have to read it first.

 

I happen to be a non-paying guest here.

I prefer to know why! Out of courtesy! 

Definitely remove scammers, criminals, threats of violence or whatever but otherwise - I would appreciate the courtesy. I don’t pay or not pay to post my nonsense on here!🙏🏻😂

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering how people on here ( some ) would react if an 89 year old man in a care home had a wish come true— to have eg a buxom young woman strip off in front of them?

I just smiled! Ok, bucket list!

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-50760470

 

(PS..too scared to post one of my favourite jokes here about an old people´s home...the PC crowd would kill me...)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

Just wondering how people on here ( some ) would react if an 89 year old man in a care home had a wish come true— to have eg a buxom young woman strip off in front of them?

I just smiled! Ok, bucket list!

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-50760470

  

I have seen girls strip in pubs in London. Delightful when asked to go to winebar with senior office staff because some guy is leaving and up rocks a (maybe) 18  year old stripper (often with her mother??).  Hammersmith on a Wednesday lunchtime with guys pissed up and horny, kissing tits and shoving money in her knickers. I have experienced male strip for women, and that is quite different, some smutty comedy stuff. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

re deleted posts: sigh, people, you don't get the "courtesy" anymore since the forum "upgrade".  The posts are simply either hard deleted or moved into a private forum accessible only by the moderation team.  The function where we could include a removal reason is simply not there any more and I have written my lamentations about that fact about eleventy times in various threads, including one I opened expressly for that purpose.  It's not part of any Orwellian plot by "those with the power to yadda yadda" to delete you and in so doing control your miiiiiiiinds (or not usually, fnar fnar :ph34r: )

 

and, again, if you are really interested why your post was removed--all together now--PM A MOD!  

 

This post is meant to illuminate, not admonish, especially since after the motto "Moderation complaints belong in a PM" all above posts are eligible for removal.  Not my rule, talk to the boss if you really care.

 

As you were.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

and, again, if you are really interested why your post was removed--all together now--PM A MOD!  

 

 

PM A MOD...Pay Money A Mod. :)

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

... or moved into a private forum accessible only by the moderation team.

Why ??

Flummoxed. Life is short.

 

Oh yeah. I am multi-flummoxed actually. Who the hell would vote for Boris???

Who the hell would vote for Corbyn???

Why did they not leave this to the women???

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now