What's got you flummoxed today?

7,176 posts in this topic

Here in Crete, there is little private sphere. You can be in a queue at the bank and someone will just wander straight past you and start chatting to the cashier, who may even then eg make a phone call for that interrupter!

 

There are cultural reasons also plus a practical reason. If you are particularly frail or ill, there are often no seats to sit down on in a bank..so you barge past. And, given how slow any transaction is..even a simple money transfer can take up to 10 minutes, it doesn´t surprise me.

 

Not all banks are like that but mine is particularly useless in that regard. They don´t even have water dispensers..and it gets hot here for a long part of the year..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, optimista said:

Ah, courtesy space. Not a concept in the teutonosphere. Just out of a bank where an oldish lady was standing perpendicular to me with her elbows and cloth bag on the same counter I was at while I held lengthy discourse with the cashier who eventually counted out a fairly thick wad of notes in my favour. This rude and nosey old bid saw and heard my whole business. I was too concentrated on not taking my eyes of the lucre to ask her to get behind me at the time but I regret not doing the same to her as her money was being counted out afterwards.

 

Flummoxed that she had the gall to stand there and watch like she did with such disregard for my privacy.

 

blerg, can't remember which thread it was but I also recently posted about people standing way too close to me, my wallet and my EC card when making purchases  I guess such people probably don't think of themselves as a threat, but it does happen to be a bit about the principle of the thing.  Of course, as you noted above, courtesy space is a fairly foreign concept the the Teutosphere, and so are close proximity and close calls.  Always flummoxed when someone does something particularly idiotic that could have caused a very nasty accident, risking either injury or damage of property, but as luck would have it, didn't, and I make a remark about their carelessness and they respond:

 

"Ist aber nichts passiert!"

 

Please get it through your thick skull that due mainly to luck and/or my own fast response time or maneuvering, nothing more serious did happen.  I guess they all have Haftpflichtversicherung so just go about like King Kong and let their insurance companies pick up the pieces.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smiling here, Dessa! This Haftpflicht stuff--I doubt ( but don´t know because I don´t do insurance with Greeks in Greece ) it even exists  hereI DO remember a neighbour chucking out her piss pot contents plus some soap powder liquid remains in to the path and my Nicole slipped over.  I wasn´t in Crete right then but Nicole told me a couple of old neighbours had seen it and closed their doors!

Dunno legally what would have happened if Nicole had injured herself badly. Probably 10 years of to-ing and fro-ing.  And no one takes responsibility.

The German " ist aber nichts passiert " has its sort of equivalent here." ti va kavoume " ( the verbal expression for shrugging of shoulders! ) .. " what can anyone do ? "

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Metall said:

 

This is the exact reason why, on the rare occasions I picked up larger amounts of cash at a German bank, I insisted on receiving the money in a separate room with no view of other customers. I did sometimes get puzzled stares or light resistance, but I always got my way.
 

 

Intrigued now about both of you.  Cannot really think of any reasons for large amounts of cash... drug dealing, paying for a hit is all I can come up for at the moment.  Banal suggestions discouraged.  Wild night at bordello?  For the plate in church?

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, optimista said:

...an oldish lady was standing perpendicular to me with her elbows and cloth bag on the same counter I was at while I held lengthy discourse with the cashier who eventually counted out a fairly thick wad of notes in my favour. This rude and nosey old bid saw and heard my whole business. 

Sometimes we old bids/birds just need a little support.  Leaning on a counter helps a lot, if there's one handy.  If she didn't follow you out and attack you later, I doubt she posed much of a threat.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shifting it from one country to another without having to pay the multitude of intermediary banks' fees. You now have to pay the Swiss to get your money out.

 

Some people have gambling habits...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, katheliz said:

Sometimes we old bids/birds just need a little support.

Yes, that thought occurred to me except there were three empty chairs within spitting distance behind me.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, optimista said:

Yes, that thought occurred to me except there were three empty chairs within spitting distance behind me.

 

Next time something like that happens: "Loud and clear enough for you?"  loud enough that everyone there notices.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, john g. said:

Smiling here, Dessa! This Haftpflicht stuff--I doubt ( but don´t know because I don´t do insurance with Greeks in Greece ) it even exists  hereI DO remember a neighbour chucking out her piss pot contents plus some soap powder liquid remains in to the path and my Nicole slipped over.  I wasn´t in Crete right then but Nicole told me a couple of old neighbours had seen it and closed their doors!

Dunno legally what would have happened if Nicole had injured herself badly. Probably 10 years of to-ing and fro-ing.  And no one takes responsibility.

The German " ist aber nichts passiert " has its sort of equivalent here." ti va kavoume " ( the verbal expression for shrugging of shoulders! ) .. " what can anyone do ? "

 

 

bedpan?  No plumbing there or an invalid lives there?  If she was fit enough to chuck her bedpan into the lane was she not fit enough to just flush its contents down the toilet or outhouse? 

 

1 hour ago, optimista said:

Yes, that thought occurred to me except there were three empty chairs within spitting distance behind me.

 

I think it may have been our very own katheliz who described the reluctance of some oldies but goodies to sit down when offered a seat on public transport because standing up again is sometimes more trouble than it's worth... would have been a few years back though now, so not entirely sure who it was that enlightened us about that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, snowingagain said:

 

Intrigued now about both of you.  Cannot really think of any reasons for large amounts of cash... drug dealing, paying for a hit is all I can come up for at the moment.  Banal suggestions discouraged.  Wild night at bordello?  For the plate in church?

 

Buying a used car?

Germans love cash for stuff like that. ;)

 

(After a wild night, I might be *ahead* with the cash - but let's not go there. :D )

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While out with a neighbour walking our dogs along a country lane this morning we saw a lazy woman "walking" her dog while driving slowly in her car alongside the dog. It's the first time I've seen anyone doing this and was so flummoxed I forgot to take a photo. Since then I've googled and found out that it's an Ordnungswidrigkeit. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how anyone could be certain she was just lazy as opposed to injured or otherwise in poor health, but it's still messed up.

 

I thought it was illegal to take pictures of people without consent?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

I thought it was illegal to take pictures of people without consent?

 

It's OK to take a photo of the car, license plate and dog, surely?

 

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

I don't know how anyone could be certain she was just lazy as opposed to injured or otherwise in poor health, but it's still messed up.

 

Well, in that case you ask someone to walk your dog for you. As I have done for people unable to walk their dogs due to illness, and when I broke my ankle my daughter walked my dog. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it is but if someone is blatantly breaking the law or putting someone or something at risk then I would do the same.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, French bean said:

Maybe it is but if someone is blatantly breaking the law or putting someone or something at risk then I would do the same.

 

It's definitely an offence. A couple of links:

 

https://www.hna.de/lokales/witzenhausen/bad-sooden-allendorf-ort83103/hund-gassi-zu-fahren-per-auto-ist-verboten-8407948.html

 

https://www.hna.de/lokales/northeim/northeim-ort47320/gassi-fahren-feldmark-verboten-4469811.html

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And all good reasons in that link, bramble!

Apart from the driving aspects and possible danger to traffic, the dog needs to do canine things; sniffing around, raising a leg here and there and just having the chance to be curious.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm flummoxed that my family seem to think I'm the only one capable of hand dishwashing as the dishwasher is broken!   I thought we might be able to cope without a new one...no chance! Off to Saturn later. Wonder who dumped the damp tea towels on the floor....

IMG_7995.JPG.251148506f4d816f14a211ab0e0

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, emkay said:

I'm flummoxed that my family seem to think I'm the only one capable of hand dishwashing as the dishwasher is broken!   I thought we might be able to cope without a new one...no chance! Off to Saturn later. Wonder who dumped the damp tea towels on the floor...

IMG_7995.JPG.251148506f4d816f14a211ab0e0

 

And get a new cooktop/stove while you're at it...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

 

And get a new cooktop/stove while you're at it...

 

Ah yes, I loved how the plant that needs repotting also got squeezed into the mayhem :D

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now