What's got you flummoxed today?

7,104 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, optimista said:

Understatement. I would call this theft actually. And I would be very, very angry if I had given a donation.

Surely these piss-takers are simply mocking the bunch of poor suckers who are their family.

I'm not sure I'd call it theft, maybe a scam/fraud.  I wonder how it would pan out in court if somebody sued for their money back.

On 11/9/2019, 2:52:55, hooperski said:

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Screen-Shot-2019-11-04-at-16.06.24-1024x263.png

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Screen-Shot-2019-11-04-at-16.06.30-1024x323.png

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Screen-Shot-2019-11-04-at-16.06.38-1024x190.png

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Screen-Shot-2019-11-04-at-16.06.46-1024x187.png

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Screen-Shot-2019-11-04-at-16.06.55-1024x350.png

And some replies from the wedding guests ...

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/4i1EOyw-576x1024.jpg

I hope this is all a big joke, though in the 80s someone in my family sent a wedding invitation that was about as crude.  In fact, it was just xeroxed sheets.  I'd accidentally been sent a master, and on the back was a list of invitees - one name had been pencilled out and mine written in. This was a couple in their forties, asking for money.

Seriously?

I've said for years, and I still mean it, if you can't pay for the wedding you want, you're too young to get married.

7 minutes ago, katheliz said:

I've said for years, and I still mean it, if you can't pay for the wedding you want, you're too young to get married.

That's why the more sensible people I know eloped to keep down costs and avoid big discussions with various, ah, interfering parents.

1 hour ago, katheliz said:

if you can't pay for the wedding you want, you're too young to get married.

I think we agree, but I have a slightly different perspective. If you dont want the wedding you can pay for, you're too young to get married.

In my observation the bigger the wedding, the shorter the marriage.

29 minutes ago, optimista said:

In my observation the bigger the wedding, the shorter the marriage.

Not always, but certainly often enough. 

So the HMRC reply to me, some 5 months after I started a claim for some UK tax. (Flummox 1)

Apparently, they can't electronically credit my UK bank because :

"The UK banking system has now implemented an cheque image clearing system"   (Flummox 2)

Really ?

I did a little googling... Yes, it seems that banks now scan cheques and process them 

(quickly??) so that customers are still able to write cheques to each other.  

Does this mean they'll send me a cheque that I need to post to someone in the UK

who can cash it and use their online banking to transfer the monies to me ?

(I know the HMRC can't credit my German account)

My online banking (for my UK bank) allows me to transfer money to UK or european bank accounts.

I bet the folks at the HMRC don't get a pay cheque every month - they get their salary 

paid directly into their accounts.

Or have I been off the island for too long now and bits of paper (don't forget to cross them!)

are still the bees knees?

9 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

So the HMRC reply to me, some 5 months after I started a claim for some UK tax. (Flummox 1)

Apparently, they can't electronically credit my UK bank because :

"The UK banking system has now implemented an cheque image clearing system"   (Flummox 2)

Really ?

I did a little googling... Yes, it seems that banks now scan cheques and process them 

(quickly??) so that customers are still able to write cheques to each other.  

Does this mean they'll send me a cheque that I need to post to someone in the UK

who can cash it and use their online banking to transfer the monies to me ?

(I know the HMRC can't credit my German account)

My online banking (for my UK bank) allows me to transfer money to UK or european bank accounts.

I bet the folks at the HMRC don't get a pay cheque every month - they get their salary 

paid directly into their accounts.

Or have I been off the island for too long now and bits of paper (don't forget to cross them!)

are still the bees knees?

I did hear some news stories a few months ago that they wanted to get rid fo cheques in the UK.  But while they account for very few transactions, they are still very popular with the older generation, so they decided to keep them.

In 2019 this sounds like utter BS. The "justification" holds no water! Clearly they want to put off coughing up and are using third-world tactics. Yes, things are that bad.

Just stepped outside and found my MIL from next door, who's been in a bad mood today, had placed a basket at our frosty front door containing:

-coloring book for adults she had previously said she enjoyed, not all colored in yet

-bird identification book 

-room dehumidifer box with new bag of crystals that do the dehumidifying

-her and her husband's daily pill sorters (empty)

-Post-It that says: Zum sterben brauch kein Tabletten

Will stop by and see what's going on.

5 minutes ago, cybil said:

Just stepped outside and found my MIL from next door, who's been in a bad mood today, had placed a basket at our frosty front door containing:

-coloring book for adults she had previously said she enjoyed, not all colored in yet

-bird identification book 

-room dehumidifer box with new bag of crystals that do the dehumidifying

-her and her husband's daily pill sorters (empty)

-Post-It that says: Zum sterben brauch kein Tabletten

Will stop by and see what's going on.

Sad.  It appears that professional care may be needed.   It’s a difficult situation.
We may all be like your MiL one day.   Be good.  

Has your MIL's mental status been evaluated recently? I fear dementia.

There are fairly simple tests her GP can perform.

On ‎2019‎-‎11‎-‎15‎ ‎7‎:‎18‎:‎18‎, hooperski said:

That you j2?

letter.jpg

What on earth was the UN-EDITED letter like??

Wasnt today but I needed a few days of getting my head around it. So this is what happened. Train station. For some reason unbeknown to me there werent any trains running for some time so people had gathered waiting for a train. Platform really crowded. At the back of the platform there is a small place in front of the elevator which is not as crowded as the main part running along the tracks. So in order to have a little more space to myself I did retreat to that part instead of hungrily waiting at the front ready to raid the next train. So there is another guy leaning relaxed to a handrail just waiting. And a 3rd Person enters the scene. Having rolled himself a ciggy asking the relaxed guy for fire. Once the ciggy is lighted he turns to me literally blowing the smoke into my face trying to strike up a conversation about the potential reasons for the delayed train. Just did pull a face and turned my back to him. Am not interested in not well mannered ashtrays. At all.

51 minutes ago, Metall said:

Has your MIL's mental status been evaluated recently? I fear dementia.

There are fairly simple tests her GP can perform.

No. The house dr. stops by each month to check on her but she won't let him in the door. She doesn't leave the house but has been living with husband with dementia for several years. We have too, live right next door and help them out. Stopped in and she was doing ok. That note is what worried me most. I guess she just needed some extra attention.