What's got you flummoxed today?

6,930 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

 

Am I doxed?  How did they know I was a witch?

 

Change to banshee and shriek back.

 

Don't you hate those false alarms - last year, we had a minor mill moth problem. Some of the larvae managed to crawl into the device...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sannerl said:

 

Use a broomstick.

 

i would prefer the blinking LED...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill Maher says fat shaming is the first step in reforming the problem with obesity in the States. Shaming or bullying is not the solution to changing the  epidemic of 40% of Americans being obese. There are many other considerations such as the pervasiveness of  corn sweetener in foods, synthetic (processed) foods on the market, lack of nutrition education in schools, including medical schools,  a disease driven health care model, instead of a wellness model,  big pharma clout,  food deserts in impoverished communities, food advertisement marketed to children etc. etc.

 

The current  USDA's  food pyramid recommendations are not based on sound evidence-based nutrition science either (see video below with Nina Teicholz).

 

 

 

Here's Jame Corden's response:

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I went for a walk through the sunny park with my dad and noticed there was some Pokemon event going on. Nerdy young obese people chasing Pokemon. I thought the hype was over, but apparently not.

 

I was one of them, albeit not in Munich.

 

Surely it's good these 'nerdy young obese people' are out getting exercise even if it is chasing Pokemon?

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lavender Rain said:

The current  USDA's  food pyramid recommendations are not based on sound evidence-based nutrition science either (see video below with Nina Teicholz).

 

How did Scientists get it so wrong for decades?   Why aren't people more skeptical towards medical professionals who have not figured out basic nutrition?   Flummox worthy.    

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WTF? Am I just too old to understand this?

 

Quote

 

A couple have decided to keep their baby’s sex a secret from close relatives in a bid to avoid gender bias. Hobbit Humphrey, 38, and Jake England-Johns, 35, refer to their 17-month-old child, Anoush, with the pronoun, "they", and dress them in both girls' and boys' clothing.

The married couple, who are members of the climate action group, Extinction Rebellion, have been accused of “virtue signalling”. However, they are keen to let their child, Anoush, choose their own gender identity when they are old enough, because they wish for them to “grow into their own person”.

Close family members have not been told the child’s sex and grandmother, Camille, only found out when she changed a nappy...

 

 

here

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

WTF? Am I just too old to understand this?

 

If Camille was pissed, it's a boy...

 

They will find out soon enough unless their parents avoid them having any contact to other people, let alone children.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

WTF? Am I just too old to understand this?

here

 

18 minutes ago, john g. said:

Same here, fraufruit. WTF

 

Obviously you are both behind the times. Soon enough you will be not only able to identify with whatever you like, gender, colour etc but any species.

 

I think I'd like to be a horse tomorrow.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

WTF? Am I just too old to understand this?

 

 

here

Great- leave it to a 2 year old to decide what it wants to be!^_^

There was a similar case in Toronto. a few years ago. Same strange reasoning from parents.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kids want to and need to feel that they "fit in".  They don't want to be different, but the same as others.  Any difference at all is seen as a very bad thing (even if we know it is not).  Only later does individualism come out and even as adults sometime we just want to "blend into the crowd" and not stand out.

 

So by not having a gender the kids will not fit in, but will be different and will stand out and will have problems because of this.  So they are actually making life more difficult for their kids.

 

 

We try to avoid stereotypes by giving her toys which we think she will like and what she wants, not according to  gender stereo-types.  She has cars, trains, as well as dolls.  A cousin (boy) has a doll.  I even had a doll when I was young.  My mother said "if he wants a doll, let him have it".

 

 

In fact my daughter had issues identifying herself according to her gender a while ago, because she has very curly hair (now starting to straighten out), and hence it was short.

She got confused because "girls have long hair and boys have short hair" so how could she be a girl with short hair?  

 

We had to explain to her that boy or girl is not about the length of your hair.  My wife has short hair, and I showed a picture of me previously having long hair.  So she started then to understand.

But this of course all came from interaction with other kids in Kindergarten.

 

If you keep the kids in a bubble then you can "protect" them.  Otherwise, you just need to prepare them!

 

 

 

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My primary school teacher friend in the UK finds the whole gender neutral issue quite irritating and ridiculous. She and her colleagues have now taken to privately referring to kids as SHIT...She,He,IT.  

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

In fact my daughter had issues identifying herself according to her gender a while ago, because she has very curly hair (now starting to straighten out), and hence it was short.

She got confused because "girls have long hair and boys have short hair" so how could she be a girl with short hair?  

 

Our boy has the same problem, he has long hair and most people think he is a girl.  For long time it was very irritating for him, he used to get angry, he really tried his best to dress as male-ish as possible, but everything people see is long hair equals girl.   There was a time he was going to cut his hair and conform, but at the last minute he decided he liked his long hair more than people's opinion.   Nowadays he is almost 9, people still thinks he is a girl, but he doesn't give a crap anymore.  He even stopped correcting people when they call him a girl.

 

A couple of years ago during a holiday trip our kids got to know one girl with short hair, she acknowledged him as a male from the beginning and later he came to the conclusion that that girl had the same problem he had so she learnt to look further than just the long/short hair thing.  Like him.

 

 

 

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Krieg said:

 

Our boy has the same problem, he has long hair and most people think he is a girl.  For long time it was very irritating for him, he used to get angry, he really tried his best to dress as male-ish as possible, but everything people see is long hair equals girl.   There was a time he was going to cut his hair and conform, but at the last minute he decided he liked his long hair more than people's opinion.   Nowadays he is almost 9, people still thinks he is a girl, but he doesn't give a crap anymore.  He even stopped correcting people when they call him a girl.

 

A couple of years ago during a holiday trip our kids got to know one girl with short hair, she acknowledged him as a male from the beginning and later he came to the conclusion that that girl had the same problem he had so she learnt to look further than just the long/short hair thing.  Like him.

 

 

 

 

 

As I mentioned above, I used to have long hair too.  And being short  meant that I was always getting mistaken for a woman at first glance.  Sometimes it annoyed me a little, sometimes I made a joke about it or referred to the other person as the wrong gender (that gets their attention!), mostly I ignored it.

 

It was always funny when driving, somebody would overtake and look into the car expecting to see a pretty young lady and get my ugly face staring back at them!

 

Once, I was on a boat on lake Tahoe and went to the toilets.  I was stood at the urinal doing my thing when some guy walked in, walked out, and walked in again.  He told me "I walked in and saw you stood there and thought I was in the wrong toilets!".  I laughed and said, "yep, you get a lot of woman standing at urinals around these parts!".

 

So tell your kid to hang in there!

 

 

In the end I cut my hair short.  I still miss my long hair and wish I had it, but I figured that when you reach around 30 that as a man you start to become a bit sad if you still have long hair, so it was time to say goodbye.  At least showering is now much quicker!

 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Once, I was on a boat on lake Tahoe and went to the toilets.  I was stood at the urinal doing my thing when some guy walked in, walked out, and walked in again.  He told me "I walked in and saw you stood there and thought I was in the wrong toilets!".  I laughed and said, "yep, you get a lot of woman standing at urinals around these parts!".

 

So tell your kid to hang in there!

 

Yes, toilets are another headache.   If we had one buck for everytime someone told my kid he was in the wrong toilet we would be able to buy @MikeMelga's mansion and Tesla.

 

 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Glad it isn't just me. Would make a great book, though - How To Fuck Your Kids Up From Day One.

 

Then what do you think of amazing Desmond?

 

 

He dances in mens' clubs and they put money in his pants.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

 

Then what do you think of amazing Desmond?

 

 

He dances in mens' clubs and they put money in his pants.

 

 

Trailblazing in drag is fine.  I've no problem with that.

 

But I'm sorry to say that any kid dancing in a men's club and getting money is just plain wrong.  I don't care about the gender!

 

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

 

Then what do you think of amazing Desmond?

 

 

He dances in mens' clubs and they put money in his pants.

Is that really what he wants or is that someone projecting their own views onto him. He's 11 years old, just how many 11 year olds are really sexually clued up about who and what they are? As for putting money in his pants, surely someone can be arrested for sexually exploiting a child as well as the pervs who feel the need to put money in his pants.

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now