What's got you flummoxed today?

6,964 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

@arunadasi

@LeonG: normally you apply for a new passport through a consulate unless there is only an embassy. I got two new passports using the Dutch consulate in Munich, but since they closed all passport departments in all consulates, I now have to go to the embassy in Berlin or Vienna.

Maybe you like to deal with the consul but I prefer the embassy. When I lived in Canada I went to the consul to renew my Icelandic passport. The only help he offered was to mail my application to the embassy in Ottawa. So if all he's doing is mailing it, then I can skip the middle man and mail it myself. Less trouble than getting an appointment with the consul and figuring out how to get there.

You didn't get it: not every embassy is offering passport services. They leave it to the consulates, but you come from a tiny nation, where you don't have a proper consulate with passport section, cultural section and business department. E.g. Italians in the Netherlands always went to the consulate in Amsterdam since the embassy in the Hague wasn't handling passport applications.

14 hours ago, john g. said:

Oh, you child of our mutual generation and South America! Back in the old days of the 70s, this football fan was living in Rio and couldn´t get footie results from England. The British Consulate sometimes worked...sometimes! I would pop in and see which newspapers had arrived. If it was the Financial Times, I´d walk straight out again...nothing!!

If it were the Times or the Telegraph, I could read up on stuff backdated...but not up to date!

The world has really changed!!

:P

@john gBack in the day, I and my two friends were located by our anxious parents back in Guyana, in our hideout in Ecuador, where we were finally picked up by the American Ambassador's chaueffer-driven car and two policemen, and my mother. They had managed to find us on a remote farm in the mountains...

Guyana didn't or doesn't have diplomatic representation in Ecuador so the US Embassy stepped in to find us. Parents had been crazy with worry because we'de written home to say we all had hepatitis. They found us high on marijuana. We were packed into the limousine and brought back to Quito, to the Ambassador's private house, where we flatly refused to return home with the pre-bought airline tickets. We were all iover 18 by then so they could not force us home. Ah, the joys of megalomaniacal youth!

13 hours ago, LeonG said:

Absolutely. I've dealt with a couple of consuls myself and I knew one who was and they sometimes help people with emergencies. The one I knew once had to help some ppl to arrange getting a body transported to home country. Mostly they are business ppl who think it's cool to have a title and a plaque on their house / office. For official embassy business like a new passport you don't talk to a consul, you talk to the embassy. You might not have to go there. I renewed my Canadian passport the last time through the Berlin embassy without having to go there.

These days you have to appear in person: they take your photo "vor Ort" as well as your fingerprint. It;s not so easy for my daughter to fly to London and back just for that -- she has a baby and is breastfreeding.

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

These days you have to appear in person: they take your photo "vor Ort" as well as your fingerprint. It;s not so easy for my daughter to fly to London and back just for that -- she has a baby and is breastfreeding.

14 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Well if she decides to wait for them to come back from holidays she should ask if they have the equipment to do photos and fingerprints before making an appointment.

17 hours ago, arunadasi said:

there's a German Consul who actually lives in Londonderry which is at the northernmost tip of Northern Ireland. I assume she must have an office in Belfast...

You mean Derry, surely. ;) 

Driving around Norn Iron, I couldn't help notice that in Republican areas, the 'London' portion of signs for Londonderry would have bullet holes or other graffiti on it. Always useful to know what local sympathies were. Though as a tourist, everyone was nice to me...

17 hours ago, arunadasi said:

Often these German Consuls are just ordinary people given a Mandat. The German Consul in Guyana for many years was a German expat who ran a furniture store and changed money (illegally) on the sly. A very shady character.

That's exactly what they are. Might be some tax breaks or a stipend or other golden handshakes for the person, but in those kind of 'secondary' consuls, they often aren't collecting a real salary for the position. It's more of an 'honourary' thing.

During my studies, I had a friend from Malawi. Getting passports for her German-born children (both parents Malawian) was an absolute ordeal involving long months of inaction, absenteeism, documents 'disappearing', sent money not being 'received', de facto bribery, etc. IIRC, they couldn't travel back to Malawi for like 2-3 years trying to sort out the situation. 

17 hours ago, Kommentarlos said:

Did you see the link to the request for payment in "postal orders".

I am not only flummoxed but flabbergasted that this is stil possible.

Puts Toytowners bitching about shops not accepting Apple Pay etc in DE in another context.

Oh-oh. I'd avoid paying like that if at all possible. The last time I renewed my British passport, I paid by postal order, as I didn't have a credit card, and the passport office claimed they hadn't received it. I had to get evidence from the post office that the payment had gone through. It took three months to get the passport.

I renewed my Irish passport a couple of months ago.  It was all done online, the photo was taken with my mobile, (there are instructions on how to do this) and my new passport arrived here within 5 days, I was impressed.

Women, would you buy these?  I thought a camel toe was a thing of embarrassment.

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/bigtoe-2.png

1 hour ago, hooperski said:

Women, would you buy these?  I thought a camel toe was a thing of embarrassment.

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/bigtoe-2.png

For a Halloween party maybe?

Someone stacking shelves in my local supermarket seems to have a sense of humour...

To impregnate or not to impregnate, 

That is the question...

supermarket2.jpg

ah my dear Friseur

you are always so excited to see me since I often change up my style and am willing to try new things

and today I brought you something really cool.  I could see the look in your eye...you were itching to get to the cutting...your creative spark was alight!  You reminded me of edward scissorhands as you whacked away at my head...hair flying in all directions, your face a mask of intense concentration

yes there was some shaving involved...some assymetry...a cool mix of long on one side and very short on the other.  

so how the hell did I end up walking out with what is essentially a freaking mohawk?!

no no no, sweetie...not what I had in mind, but at least it looks fab from the front?

it grows fast.  no worries :) 

10 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

yes there was some shaving involved...some assymetry...

Be careful your Freudian slip doesn't start chafing!

24 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Hell on the bunions!

It actually might good for the bunions. :)

I know several people who like to wear sandals with a toe strap for exactly that reason.

29 minutes ago, Metall said:

It actually might good for the bunions. :)

I know several people who like to wear sandals with a toe strap for exactly that reason.

Like these

Is the big toe called a thumb, as in...?

•  

• This sandal is especially suitable for women with bunions, which can help the thumb to recover and be comfortable to wear.
    • Designed to correct your thumb and separate your thumb and toes, this shoe reduces the pain of the bunion and allows you to walk comfortably.

• I  learn something new every day.

I'm flummoxed because I can see this on the forum overview page, but the posting doesn't exist:

----------------------------------------

Why are you happy today?

jeremytwo replied to Lassie's topic in Special

As I sat there imbibing today I wondered is this Bayern's highest beergarden?  
-------------------------------------------