What's got you flummoxed today?

6,934 posts in this topic

Happens everywhere, home, the workplace. Once there's 3 or more people together there's always the odd one out. - Group dynamics.

Do you think so, I worked in a group of 4 people and none of them were dicks. B)

9 minutes ago, French bean said:

Just read this, how can so called Godly people be so cruel to others so young? Religion isn't evil, just the people it attracts.

Frenchie, try Googling "mountbatten kincora"....

Can't be asked J2, there's enough cruelty gone on in Ireland and I really don't need to google anymore. I'm just flummoxed and saddened that the perps not only had immunity but were handed the victims by the state and some of those evil bastards are still in denial.

The green Emerald is really badly tarnished.

On 6/19/2018, 1:44:52, swimmer said:

The answer is that western consumption is overall far more damaging but instead of facing up to that, the groups doing the damage fixate on the small stuff rather than face the harsher truths.  About a zillion times easier to go for a westerner to go without a plastic bag than car, flights and all the other consumer stuff that has the real impact.   They even get to feel virtuous on top.  Win win for them.

And they get to blame the world's poorest and most marginalised, alongside, of course, while they drive round town pumping out gases and stocking up with yet more stuff at the mall.

The plastic bag as somehow the cause of the problem is just a comforting mainstream western evasion.  Classic cognitive dissonance.

Sometimes it is these Asian and African countries that lead.

I believe it was Rwanda that was the first country to ban all plastic bags.

I was in Tamil Nadu, India, last year when the ban on plastic came into effect. It was interesting, because I had actually seen plastic bin bags in the supermarkets in December but didn't buy any. Come January, they were all gone, from all the shops. So I googled and sure enough, Tamil Nadu had banned all single-use plastic as of January 1st. Now all of India has banned single use plastic. It was inconvenient at first we we soon got use to improvising, finding ways of rubbish disposal with newspaper etc.

I was in Sri Lanka in 2017 when a ban was imposed, or about to be imposed. I remember there were actualy demonstration in Colombo against the ban.

It's easy to dismiss them third world countries, but it's not always fair. I'm always impressed in India at how resourceful people are with what they have. The repair things over and over again before chucking them out. They can make anything. Years ago, my baby buggy lost a wheel during the flight over. I asked around, and in a cople of says some local workman had made me a new wheel out of wood -- and fitted it, and it worked!

I was flummoxed earlier this year when my entire faith in Germany as the epitome of efficiency was shattered. I mean, surely represention abroad should stand out as a glowing example of how perfectly smooth everything in Germany works.

But not so with the Germany Consulate Belfast. My daughter's passport is about to expire so she needed to apply for a new one. She contacted the Belfast Consulate via email but received no reply. So she went online and discovered that there actually is no German Consulate in Belfast -- there's a German Consul who actually lives in Londonderry which is at the northernmost tip of Northern Ireland. I assume she must have an office in Belfast...

Anyway, my daughter called this consul only to get the message that the consul would be out of office until early September. That's all. No mention of a stellvertetende Konsul or any such thing, or what to do in an emergency. She called the Dublin Embassy -- which is the opposite, a state-of-the-art setup currently undergoing renovations, but super efficient-- and they said they cannot help; her only option it to go to the German Embassy in London.

I mean, come on. Even I, as a lowly social worker in a hospital, had a Vertretung when I was on holiday. I find it super lax. The consul was unavailabke for six whole weeks.

Often these German Consuls are just ordinary people given a Mandat. The German Consul in Guyana for many years was a German expat who ran a furniture store and changed money (illegally) on the sly. A very shady character.

More recently the German Consul in Guyana is actually Dutch. Were I to live in Guyana I'm sure I could be a German Consul (if I were younger maybe). for that matter, I told my daughter she should apply for the job.

I understand that -- (though I didn't know she'd have to pay emplyees out of her own pocket!). I still think it's awful to leave the post unattended for six whole weeks.

In fact, I'm even more flummoxed, after reading  your link!  That a country like Germany can't pay for its own Vertretungen abroad, can't pay for a decent office in Belfast.

6 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

I understand that -- (though I didn't know she'd have to pay emplyees out of her own pocket!). I still think it's awful to leave the post unattended for six whole weeks.

In fact, I'm even more flummoxed, after reading  your link!  That a country like Germany can't pay for its own Vertretungen abroad, can't pay for a decent office in Belfast.

Did you see the link to the request for payment in "postal orders".

I am not only flummoxed but flabbergasted that this is stil possible.

Puts Toytowners bitching about shops not accepting Apple Pay etc in DE in another context.

26 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

If you want to complain, you'll always find a reason ... Finland, Norway, Canada, New Zealand etc. all have honorary consuls in Belfast. Honorary consuls are something completely normal, worldwide. 

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

I was flummoxed earlier this year when my entire faith in Germany as the epitome of efficiency was shattered. I mean, surely represention abroad should stand out as a glowing example of how perfectly smooth everything in Germany works.

But not so with the Germany Consulate Belfast. My daughter's passport is about to expire so she needed to apply for a new one. She contacted the Belfast Consulate via email but received no reply. So she went online and discovered that there actually is no German Consulate in Belfast -- there's a German Consul who actually lives in Londonderry which is at the northernmost tip of Northern Ireland. I assume she must have an office in Belfast...

Anyway, my daughter called this consul only to get the message that the consul would be out of office until early September. That's all. No mention of a stellvertetende Konsul or any such thing, or what to do in an emergency. She called the Dublin Embassy -- which is the opposite, a state-of-the-art setup currently undergoing renovations, but super efficient-- and they said they cannot help; her only option it to go to the German Embassy in London.

I mean, come on. Even I, as a lowly social worker in a hospital, had a Vertretung when I was on holiday. I find it super lax. The consul was unavailabke for six whole weeks.

Often these German Consuls are just ordinary people given a Mandat. The German Consul in Guyana for many years was a German expat who ran a furniture store and changed money (illegally) on the sly. A very shady character.

More recently the German Consul in Guyana is actually Dutch. Were I to live in Guyana I'm sure I could be a German Consul (if I were younger maybe). for that matter, I told my daughter she should apply for the job.

Oh, you child of our mutual generation and South America! Back in the old days of the 70s, this football fan was living in Rio and couldn´t get footie results from England. The British Consulate sometimes worked...sometimes! I would pop in and see which newspapers had arrived. If it was the Financial Times, I´d walk straight out again...nothing!!

If it were the Times or the Telegraph, I could read up on stuff backdated...but not up to date!

The world has really changed!!

:P

30 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

If you want to complain, you'll always find a reason ... Finland, Norway, Canada, New Zealand etc. all have honorary consuls in Belfast. Honorary consuls are something completely normal, worldwide. 

Absolutely. I've dealt with a couple of consuls myself and I knew one who was and they sometimes help people with emergencies. The one I knew once had to help some ppl to arrange getting a body transported to home country. Mostly they are business ppl who think it's cool to have a title and a plaque on their house / office. For official embassy business like a new passport you don't talk to a consul, you talk to the embassy. You might not have to go there. I renewed my Canadian passport the last time through the Berlin embassy without having to go there.

Evening , Leon! Yep, the passport issue. Brits normally/traditionally have to have a signature or more from a person of good reputation to get a passport. I remember having to renew mine whilst living in Hamburg.I needed someone of such repute to confirm a picture of me was, erm, a picture of me and sign somewhere.

This was about 12 years ago and the British Consulate organised a network evening at a Whisky Bar run by a Scot (well, why not! ).

After a couple of drinks, our Man signed and it got sorted out! I think the application went to Düsseldorf..not Berlin. So NOT to the Embassy

Back then around 1974 or 5, my passport got nicked off me in Rio, Brazil, at a pharmacy...I had left a bag for barely a minute or so on the counter,,,

I went to the British Consulate the next day and told the guy I had to go to Paraguay asap and come back to renew my visa..true.

He asked me to raise my right hand and swear what I had said was true. I did and he organised an emergency passport.

(Didn´t do me much good...got arrested anyway at the Paraguayan border a few days later! )

:angry:

11 minutes ago, john g. said:

Evening , Leon! Yep, the passport issue. Brits normally/traditionally have to have a signature or more from a person of good reputation to get a passport. I remember having to renew mine whilst living in Hamburg.I needed someone of such repute to confirm a picture of me was, erm, a picture of me and sign somewhere.

This was about 12 years ago and the British Consulate organised a network evening at a Whisky Bar run by a Scot (well, why not! ).

After a couple of drinks, our Man signed and it got sorted out! I think the application went to Düsseldorf..not Berlin. So NOT to the Embassy.

I hope you have renewed your passport since then? The are not normally valid for 12+years ...

Naughty Kommentarlos! It was about 12 years ago that I renewed my passport BACK THEN! 2 years ago, whilst living in Greece, I got a NEW passport via an office In Northern Ireland!!! And a bit of  Manchester afterwards!

:D

@arunadasi: there are less than 4000 Germans in Northern Ireland, so don't expect too much from a honary consul.

@LeonG: normally you apply for a new passport through a consulate unless there is only an embassy. I got two new passports using the Dutch consulate in Munich, but since they closed all passport departments in all consulates, I now have to go to the embassy in Berlin or Vienna.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

After a couple of drinks, our Man signed and it got sorted out! I think the application went to Düsseldorf..not Berlin.

That has changed in the meantime:  http://www.britaininhamburg.de/profiles/blogs/changes-to-british-passport-services-in-germany

From 14 January 2013, British nationals living in Germany will submit passport applications direct to the IPS in the UK for processing, not via the Passports Section at the British Consulate-General in Düsseldorf, which is closing.  All the information needed to complete the passport application process will be available from week beginning 7 January 2013 on the gov.uk website at  https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport-abroad.