What's got you flummoxed today?

6,725 posts in this topic

Just now, zwiebelfisch said:

I pay booking and the rest is magic.

No. This is not what happens. Read the small print.

Just now, optimista said:

No. This is not what happens. Read the small print.

As I said, we are using words to mean differnet things.  From the perspective of a user, I pay booking, they handle everything.  

The fact of the matter is that booking.com is a travel agent. You book a stay with them at a hotel, the hotel gets the money and they pay a kickback to booking.  

Why do you think you pay booking.com? Have you read the small print? What does it say on your bank statement?

4 minutes ago, optimista said:

Why do you think you pay booking.com? Have you read the small print? What does it say on your bank statement?

My bank statement (actually credit card) says:

07.08.2019 06.08.2019
  • Hotel on Booking.com S Amsterdam NL
VISA

But you are missing the point.  You are arguing legalities of who the contracts are between and I am talking about experience of the user.

The plot thickens. Even though they say they have no contract with you, they manage to access your cash, invest it for a few hours, benefit from your free credit and lovely cash flow and then pay the hotel later? Hmm. In their small print it says you pay the hotel directly. The wording they use on your statement is misleading. Unnamed hotel on booking.com. You are paying the hotel not booking.com. In theory.

In the past, I have picked the brains of the likes of booking.com, found the hotel site and booked directly. This time I was lured into leaving my card details on an account in order to receive a discount. Now I cannot remove my card details or close the account - for the moment.

You are thinking too deeply, this isnt some kind of illuminati conspiracy.  There is a company that matches up people with hotels, its "free" to the user and take commission from the hotel.

Payment is a bit complex because there are a few options and Id guess exactly how things are handled depends on the capabilities of the hotel.  Hilton Im sure have their own credit card processing and maybe do it themselves, Herr Mustermann with his 2 room guesthouse in Mustersdorf doesnt so booking takes a payment and pays it to Mustermann minus a handling charge.

FWIW many online shops dont actually do their own payments, they typically route everything through a "payment processor".

My payments usually go to the hotel directly.

I had a problem with this recently where I'd booked and paid for a hotel on booking.com, but the payment was processed by the hotel.  Upon arrival, the hotel had cancelled my booking, claiming there was a problem with my card, which there wasn't, which could be proven by the fact they had taken the money 2 months earlier.  There was an event on that day and they just wanted to up the price for more cash.

After over 6 hours on the phone to Booking.com, they got me another hotel at 5x the cost (it was now the day of the event an everything was sold out) and the original hotel had to pay the difference.  So the advantage of using Booking is that when the shit hits the fan, they will at least bail you out, even if it takes all day.

I use booking a lot. I've never been offered an after the fact discount from some company in Ireland but recently I'm getting discounts for paying up front even though I'm actually using a credit card and therefore not paying up front. Interesting however is that I can't get this discount if I use the app, only if I go through the website.

I was happy this evening to see that the Green Bay (Wisconsin) Packers would be playing the Oakland CA Raiders, and set the channel for the game.  As I was moving back and forth through the house, I began to hear unlikely words: 80 yards.  No kick-offs.  Far North.  Winnipeg.  Goal posts at the 10-yard lines.  Huh?

It turns out the game is being played in Winnipeg, Canada on a field with turf deficiencies: QED the odd dimensions and rules.

But is this even football?  Flummoxed.

On 22/08/2019, 21:00:17, LeonG said:

I've never been offered an after the fact discount from some company in Ireland...

You are offered the ex post discount as a lure to open an account and authorise them to keep your card details by the Dutch company. Then the Irish company pays the discount. I do not use booking to book. This was the exception. So I do not want them keeping my card details. Why should they? But it is effing impossible to remove them from said account, or even close said account. So far. Now why would this be?

Does anyone in (French speaking) homosexual circles know the significance of "le boeuf" to said adherents? (Yes, still on hubby's trail.)

15 minutes ago, optimista said:

You are offered the ex post discount as a lure to open an account and authorise them to keep your card details by the Dutch company. Then the Irish company pays the discount. I do not use booking to book. This was the exception. So I do not want them keeping my card details. Why should they? But it is effing impossible to remove them from said account, or even close said account. So far. Now why would this be?

It's probably just a glitch in their website.  It's not like they are going to charge your credit card.  Have you tried contacting them about cancelling your account?

I don't actually have my credit card saved on there but I have often paid with it and never had any problems.  There's a box you have to check to allow them to keep your credit card information.  For me those saving card info options don't work half the time anyway because I get this verified by visa pop up and I can't recall the password for it, that is if I ever had one.

This is what my discount looks like:

bookingbill.jpg.7f9ece154396ca88088b5fc9

So booking would in this case take 223,64€ off my card but the hotel still gives me a receipt for 245,76€

6 hours ago, optimista said:

Does anyone in (French speaking) homosexual circles know the significance of "le boeuf" to said adherents? (Yes, still on hubby's trail.)

Beefcake?

10 hours ago, optimista said:

Isn't it kind of sad you are "trailing" your husband, as if this were some kind of 1940s divorce case involving private detectives and catching him in some dirty act?

Why don't you just talk to him?? *smh*

2 minutes ago, john g. said:

...and for such a boring sport!:D

Unlike cricket. zzzzzzz :wacko:

11 hours ago, optimista said:

My French connection claims that he does not know any other significance other than beef you eat.  He is however not in homosexual circles.  My Montreal connection does know that scene a bit better and she claimed it's a beefy stocky guy.  

So fraufruit is probably right or maybe Sannerl because it could also be a club.  Or maybe they were just talking dinner.