What's got you flummoxed today?

6,725 posts in this topic

"A £125,000 campaign to replace Scotland's Best Small Country In The World tag has been unveiled.

And the exciting new catchphrase dreamed up by top advertising brains is..."Welcome to Scotland".

Teenage kid becomes millionaire in the World Cup Fortnite. This is a video game where you are dropped off at a remote island and you have to survive as long as possible. It has 250 million users and the Arthur Ashe Stadium was sold out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/games/2019/jul/28/british-boy-jaden-ashman-wolfiez-becomes-fortnite-millionaire-in-world-cup-tournament

Why did I sell my Atari 2600 in the 1980s :)?

With Trump and Johnson making mad statements on a daily basis, you would think life couldn't get any weirder.  Tthink on ...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EAfFBYIW4AAdHTk?format=jpg&name=small

On 25.7.2019, 16:28:33, El Jeffo said:

From the crumbs you've dropped over the course of your long posting history, it's obvious that he's been using you as his beard for the last 30 years. Don't you think it's time to draw the line and just leave him? I can't imagine that French divorce laws would leave you destitute in your situation. Or did you sign away your right to half of the community property when you got married?

If I  recall correctly... there is a teenaged child somewhere in the middle of this saga.... so it could be the hubby is only a little gay... or is the child not his?

On 27/07/2019, 09:39:09, hooperski said:

A tad rude to cast aspersions on this woman's faithfulness.

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

If I  recall correctly... there is a teenaged child somewhere in the middle of this saga... so it could be the hubby is only a little gay... or is the child not his?

Gay ppl can have straight sex. It's just not very interesting for them. Especially ppl who are closeted and trying to keep up appearances would be likely to be married and have kids.

And that's exactly what happens in these unhappy lavender marriages.

See also beards (as already mentioned by El Jeffo), aka the unwitting hetero companions of closeted persons.

It's sad these these old terms still have a meaning in our more liberated times...

Edit: This is not to say this long running marriage needs to be dissolved, especially if Optimista then is left penniless.

I'd merely recommend to let go mentally and not try to fix or understand things.

Live a little more independently.

Maybe drop a hint to hubby he can do whatever he likes, establish a second residence in town, only meet for family festivities etc. (I know this sounds pretty amoral, but why continue suffering...)

5 hours ago, Metall said:

...recommend to let go mentally and not try to fix or understand things.

Live a little more independently.

That happened a long time ago to some extent. But without confirmation there is no closure and always the possibility that you might be wrong and just a dreadful person with a share of the responsibility for a broken marriage. It's natural to want to understand what happened to decades of your life. Thanks for the links.

Maybe use marriage counselling to help you discussing your thoughts with said hubby? Might help to shed light into it. Even if ist not the beard/lavender issue it might be important for you to make it clear what behaviour does make you unhappy.

So, I'm currently back in the UK and popped into a local pub this afternoon, only to find a selection of bottled beer on the bar for £2.95 each. I assumed this was some sort of special offer, only to find on closer inspection that the was called "bottom sniffer" and was "beer for dogs".

What the %$£?

My dog is happiest drinking from puddles. Do people really have so much cash they can waste it on something a dog will like less than something found free on the ground?

By the way, this is in an old fishing town in Dorset (UKIP country), not some London/Brighton hipster retreat.

Long story short, kid goes on holiday and loses his specs on the beach. Meanwhile my kid is watering their plants and feeding their cat. His parents ask my kid to send them a second pair of specs by express post... we got that sinking feeling...

28 Euros and a wrong address (they did not even know where they were staying? :wacko:) later, the specs were returned to sender - and they arrived back before the specs... you could not make this up, could you? But there is more...

Another week goes by and not a word of thanks has been uttered nor any sign of 28 Euros.

Double flummox. Yesterday, while we were doing our musical thing in the forest with our alphorns, lady stops and asks us if we can play for a group of walkers today in the same place as that would be where they would be having a drinks stop. We obliged. Free of charge. Turns out they were a wine-growers family from the next village. They came armed with several bottles of their own produce, downed the lot and went on their merry way.

Before leaving the kind lady thanked us and informed us she had brought a bottle of wine for us... but that they had just drunk it dry...

5 minutes ago, optimista said:

Before leaving the kind lady thanked us and informed us she had brought a bottle of wine for us... but that they had just drunk it dry...

Although the happy vintners will soon forget this concert, it will live in the annals of your Alphorn group.  I expect you'll still be smiling and shaking your heads years from now.  And perhaps still boycotting that wine. ;)