What's got you flummoxed today?

6,866 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Things must have really become toxic! 

No idea. Was actually referring to something else.

The horror.

1 hour ago, RedMidge said:

Things must have really become toxic! 

PS I have AlexTr on ignore so have no idea if I qoted her whole post. 

23 hours ago, Kommentarlos said:

... does not approve of what is being said and how it is being said.

Classic manipulator's trick. When the substance of the message is hard to refute, they try to dismiss or invalidate it by objecting to how things are said.

I am flummoxed that an intelligent and mature woman can fail to see a gynocologist for 17 years, particularly when there has clearly been a problem. Oh boy. Is it really 2019?

I'm flummoxed how badly former respected members treat others on TT these days.  New and vulnerable members rarely stand a chance. We're all aware that online bullying can cause irreparable harm to the bullied person. 

22 minutes ago, emkay said:

I'm flummoxed how badly former respected members treat others on TT these days.  New and vulnerable members rarely stand a chance. We're all aware that online bullying can cause irreparable harm to the bullied person. 

Your comment reminds of this: From Reddit about TT someone asked about having a hard time getting a new account approved

Maybe they've decided you're not bitter enough

Toytown is full of condescending, bitter expats who love tearing down curious newcomers and anyone who doesn't already have a full working knowledge of the German system. I recently saw them chastising someone for asking a question, because apparently Toytown is a forum for people to discuss German life, not ask questions. Um, okay...?

I had the same problem with my account not getting verified. After a while, I realised it was a blessing in disguise. This forum and /berlin can get a little heated, but it's nothing compared to Toytown. It's basically an archive of outdated threads from 5+ years ago, thus a lot of the information on there isn't very relevant anymore- probably because no one is able to post anything.

Someone else chimes in:

Toytown is full of cunts.. bitter,smartassy whiny expats. They hate new expats, they hate you asking questions, they hate living in Germany yet they don't move away..

Not sure how full TT is these days. There are only a hand full of regular posters as far as I can see. And some of them don't even live in Germany :D:D

In an ideal world common decency would reign supreme. We should not be attacking oldies either. Moderation should be superfluous. Dream on TT.

18 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

A simple enforced rule about not attacking newbies would be nice.

How about an enforced rule there's no personal attacking of anybody on TT, the snark, bitterness, hate, animosity, and pile on  can be really strong and thick on TT.:o

I'm trying to be more mindful of what I post and spending less time on TT, instead interacting with people in the so called "real" world, which can certainly seem "unreal" at times.  :)

14 minutes ago, Lavender Rain said:

How about an enforced rule there's no personal attacking of anybody on TT, the snark, bitterness, hate, animosity, and pile on  can be really strong and thick on TT.:o

I'm trying to be more mindful of what I post and spending less time on TT, instead interacting with people in the so called "real" world, which can certainly seem "unreal" at times.  :)

Well, somebody get the memo out to the guy who called me a hillbilly, will ya?:P

10 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Well, somebody get the memo out to the guy who called me a hillbilly, will ya?:P

I'm so sorry for calling you "a hillbilly". it won't ever happen again. :P

Please forgive me. Danke :)

Ben Brodsky-Chenfeld survived a plane crash while sky diving one of the worse accidents in history for sky divers. He was in a coma for 2 months then returned to his sport in 6 months and eventually achieved his goal of being a world champion skydiver.  

There are so many times in life that people try to tell you what your limitations are-what you're capable of, they don't get to decide. Brodsky-Chenfeld

2 hours ago, Lavender Rain said:

I'm so sorry for calling you "a hillbilly". it won't ever happen again. :P

Please forgive me. Danke :)

It's redneck dago and don't you forget it.

10 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

It's redneck dago and don't you forget it.

Oh, okay, alright,  I promise I won't ever forget it!  :lol::lol::lol:

I like your band. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, emkay said:

It's an interesting social dynamic this Toytown community. We're good at being keyboard warriors hiding behind screens as successful automatons, but not really great at sharing humanity and sharing a sense of community between one another on TT.

What is this bitterness and animosity rooted in? Perhaps the pain we experience, the pain we often fail to confront here, and a failure in instilling a sense of trust for the pain of others here. 

12 hours ago, emkay said:

I don't think I've ever seen "respected" TT members do any differently. I know a handful of people who came into the community between 2006 and 2010 who were met with nastiness and derision. This is, per anecdata,  how it has always been. What gets to me is that some of the worst offenders are currently mourned on the "Members you miss" thread as though they were merely being clever and funny.

@Lavender Rain your reddit thread was the subject of a thread in the supporters forum, I think. The supporters forum is full of threads where even admins join in mocking people. "Forget it, Jake. It's Toytown."

14 hours ago, Lavender Rain said:

Just a few hours before you wrote this, you, fraufruit, and others greened a post on another thread which was just pure insult by El Jeffo and added no content to the conversation.

While all this hand wringing about personal attacks is very touching, you and fraufruit frequently cheer it on via the greening of nasty, insult riddled posts.   

You should be called out for it.   You're part of the problem.   

4 minutes ago, tor said:

Best post today.