What's got you flummoxed today?

6,724 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

Not sure what being employed for example brings to the discussion.

 

The unemployed get ignored, the IPY* look or the ITMH4** look. :lol:

 

* I pity you

** Is that my harz 4

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

 

The unemployed get ignored, the IPY* look or the ITMH4** look. :lol:

 

* I pity you

** Is that my harz 4

 

presumably sitting on her American high horse it is not possible to see children - mostly too short 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

I don't know what flummoxed me more:

that wine can be priced at £4500 or that people are willing to pay.

Indeed. It would be a pity if it turned out to be corked...:ph34r:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kommentarlos said:

I am still not convinced by your sample size. It has gone from one to an undefined number of individuals with whom you identify.

 

Not sure what being employed for example brings to the discussion.

Do you not know any self employed Americans?

 

 

 

I'm the only one I know. Also, if you want to understand better, this means employed in predominantly German workforces. Furthermore, the sample size is around 45. 

But here's another TTer with a similar take:  https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/102215-angry-old-bavarian-women/

And another here:  https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/50873-lack-of-politeness-by-germans/

 

And another here:  https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/281375-grouchy-rude-neighbours-downstairs/

 

And another here:  https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/227769-english-manners-or-german-directness/

 

And another here:  https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/1527-pet-peeves-about-germany-and-the-germans/

 

 

This could go on for a long while.


So, I would say that any non-German from an English-speaking country who finds the German countenance and behavior normal is likely outside of the norm.

 

If you want to know the specific instance that prompted this post, it was this: As I was standing in the checkout line at the grocery yesterday, a woman got in line behind me and proceeded to stare at me with such a horrified look on her face that I laughed out loud. This, naturally, made her face contort even more, which, in turn, made me laugh harder at her. The cashier, a young woman who knows me, joined in my mirth by smirking at me because it was so comical. Thankfully, the under 30s seem to have gotten the point that this style of mean-mugging is beyond comical.

 

Rest assured the facial misconfiguration of this woman was not due to a stroke. 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Every German I see has RBF.

 

You get the looks you deserve. 

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That must be why I get dirty looks all the time from the crusty widows here, bramble!

:P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, john g. said:

That must be why I get dirty looks all the time from the crusty widows here, bramble!

:P

 

They must be German widows, John. ;) No, can't be. Most Germans like dogs. You'd get plenty smiles around here. 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One particularly miserable local woman comes out of her house, scowling and hands demonstrably on hips, every time I walk by with dogs. Every time. She lives opposite the rubbish container, which is often overflowed, stuff lying on the ground, dead cat the other day as well...not a word from her. I remember Ena Sharples!! :P:P

But the chance a dog might do a little wee wee destroys her inner calm! Her old man is the same...he shouts and beeps his car horn.

Now, their son is our electrician...I have needed him for a while but he no longer turns up...wonder why!!!! Got a new guy in yesterday,

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AlexTr said:

As I was standing in the checkout line at the grocery yesterday, a woman got in line behind me and proceeded to stare at me with such a horrified look on her face that I laughed out loud. This, naturally, made her face contort even more, which, in turn, made me laugh harder at her. The cashier, a young woman who knows me, joined in my mirth by smirking at me because it was so comical. Thankfully, the under 30s seem to have gotten the point that this style of mean-mugging is beyond comical.
 

 

One possibility would be to give the woman a compliment, e.g. that's a beautiful ring, dress, set of earrings, etc.    Ask her what she is planning to make with whatever she is buying.  

 

If she is friendly, she will be happy.    If not, then your friendliness will drive her crazy.  

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, john g. said:

That must be why I get dirty looks all the time from the crusty widows here, bramble!

:P

 

Never forget for most Germans happiness is inefficient. Smiles waste muscles.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must live in an Oasis. The locals here are:

Polite,

Courteous,

Greet everyone when they enter a Doctor's surgery, the dentists or a shop,

Show respect to me and other foreigners,

Happy to have a chat and a joke.

 

But there again, I live in a small town in the RLP and not in a large bustling city where the lifestyle tends to ape New York or London.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, optimista said:

Do you sport green spiky hair AlexTr?

 

A sensible question. No.

 

I told my wife about this tonight. Yesterday, I worked until bedtime and we didn't have the chance to talk about much. She said that it was likely the fact that I was wearing shorts on a day when it was so cold.

 

Odd.

 

Never thought to stare oddly at another adult over their clothes...unless they were lacking most of them...

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bramble said:

 

You get the looks you deserve. 

 

 

Who are you again?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, French bean said:

I must live in an Oasis. The locals here are:

Polite,

Courteous,

Greet everyone when they enter a Doctor's surgery, the dentists or a shop,

Show respect to me and other foreigners,

Happy to have a chat and a joke.

 

But there again, I live in a small town in the RLP and not in a large bustling city where the lifestyle tends to ape New York or London.

I find the same up here.  People are friendly and interested.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RedMidge said:

I find the same up here.  People are friendly and interested.

 

We vacationed once up in Sankt Peter Ording. I must agree with you about that region. It's probably a Frankisch thing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

 

We vacationed once up in Sankt Peter Ording. I must agree with you about that region. It's probably a Frankisch thing.

Did you mean Friesland thing?!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Did you mean Friesland thing?!

 

No, I live in Mittel Franken now. The crabbiness and RBF must be a 'here' thing. Sorry. I should have been clearer.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

It's probably a Frankisch thing.

 

Ah, now it's a Frankish thing. But originally you tarred every German with the same brush:

Generalising negative traits onto a whole entire group of people when any intelligent person would know that individuals are all different makes you an idiot.

 

Same goes for you Jeremy: 

 

54 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

 

Never forget for most Germans happiness is inefficient. Smiles waste muscles.

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AlexTr said:

 

Maybe it's an American thing, but this look is reserved for specific situations. Every German I see has RBF.

What's that saying? Oh, yeah, it's something like I'm going to let you feel like you're right so I can have my peace.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now