What's got you flummoxed today?

6,942 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

That has me flummoxed. 

Maybe it's not you I was thinking of. Sorry.

It probably was me, but it still has me flummoxed. I was in a minor “discussion” with another user about acceptable humor, which, combined with the extended dormancy of my user, has inexplicably put me in the “bat shit crazy” column. 

I'm flummoxed because I do not understand where the term sock puppet comes from. My mum got one as a kid (1940s) and felt guilty because it was such a tatty old sock and such a pathetic godawful gift she did not feel grateful as you were supposed to do when someone gave you a gift. This was during or shortly after the war when no-one had anything.

59 minutes ago, optimista said:

I'm flummoxed because I do not understand where the term sock puppet comes from.

A sock puppet is something you put on your hand and when you speak you pretend its the puppet speaking.

A sockpuppet in internet terminology is a fake person who you pretend to be.  Typically you use one to create the impression that your ideas have support of more people, when in facts its just you agreeing with yourself.

To be clear a puppet is a person you manipulate and a sockpuppet is a fake persona you use.  Much like the real puppets which are toy people you manipulate whereas sockpuppets are a kind of modification of yourself to act as someone else.

Thanks, zwiebelfisch..I didn´t know what it is, either...have seen it so often on here!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You have a Pro 14 semi final on Friday between Glasgow v Ulster and you have an Irish referee .

When the Ireland Rugby national rugby team is represented by players from Ulster why would you have an Irish referee refereeing this match?

On 5/10/2019, 8:15:07, LeCheese said:

[...] which then brings the flummoxing thought that if they are sock puppet accounts, why the moderators do not wipe them.

if the IPs would match, it would all be relatively straightforward.  Unfortunately, most committed trolls and alts are pretty diligent about using a VPN.  Some are more, some are less artful in their approach to this.  Some don't give a shit that you know the alt's a dupe and perhaps even intentionally use a service that switches their IP address for every post, to rub it in the mods' faces that they're an alt, but can't prove who's operating it.  Others really cultivate and stick to their alt's story--posting it out of the same far-flung location each time.  We know there's no one in Madagascar who posts here every day, but we can't prove which one of the Young NeoCons it belongs to (most of them not so young anymore).

Still others really stick to their far-flung place their main account posts out of and their alts can have a static IP here in Germany.  Again, I don't really believe someone in Singapore writes here daily, but what am I going to do about it?

tl; dr: we do check for these things and when we find a way to shut down a disruptive alt, we do it without hesitation.  Also reports about alts are taken seriously and investigated.  If there's no action taken it's because we couldn't find a strong enough link between the alt and any other account.

14 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

If there's no action taken it's because we couldn't find a strong enough link between the account and any other account.

Would be another way to look at it.

No disrespect intended or implied. 

@Kommentarlos you're right of course, although there are some where the alt-ness is clear--user signs up and immediately has allegiance to some users, grudges against others, their reputation activity indicates that they sign up with a strong preference not necessarily just for certain ideas but for certain USERS, upvoting everything they post, regardless of what they post.  They sign up and immediately start posting as much as possible so they can gain access to Supporters, used to be they'd sign up immediately for Adults and Gentlemen (nope, not Ladies), they know how to use the wiki, they quote the TOS to established users, they remember when the red button existed even though they signed up last week, they know who the mods are, they know when you-know-who is posting drunk, they know what a Friday thread is and they know what "TT" and "EB" are short for.  With all these indications. or even a handful of them, we can feel fairly sure that certain users are dupe accounts of someone who's been around a lot longer than they claim.  Not all of them are trolls, of course, or created their accounts with any nefarious purposes in mind.  Some have been banned in the past and just want to participate, which, as long as they conduct themselves appropriately and don't make any express references to their old banned accounts, is not something we work actively to hinder.

I was sitting outside a Greek café today---sunny day. A tourist arrived, grabbed an ashtray and went inside. The waitress said in English: "  no smoking inside..new Greek law. 10,000 euro fine for you and us."

In Greece? They nearly all smoke!

11 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

You have a Pro 14 semi final on Friday between Glasgow v Ulster and you have an Irish referee .

When the Ireland Rugby national rugby team is represented by players from Ulster why would you have an Irish referee refereeing this match?

Regarding my "What got me flummoxed" from yesterday, here is the article,

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/no-neutral-referee-for-glasgow-s-pro14-semi-final-with-ulster-1-4926469

Such a big call by the Pro 14.

11 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

if the IPs would match, it would all be relatively straightforward.  Unfortunately, most committed trolls and alts are pretty diligent about using a VPN.  Some are more, some are less artful in their approach to this.  Some don't give a shit that you know the alt's a dupe and perhaps even intentionally use a service that switches their IP address for every post, to rub it in the mods' faces that they're an alt, but can't prove who's operating it.  Others really cultivate and stick to their alt's story--posting it out of the same far-flung location each time.  We know there's no one in Madagascar who posts here every day, but we can't prove which one of the Young NeoCons it belongs to (most of them not so young anymore).

Still others really stick to their far-flung place their main account posts out of and their alts can have a static IP.  Again, I don't really believe someone in Singapore writes here daily, but what am I going to do about it?

tl; dr: we do check for these things and when we find a way to shut down a disruptive alt, we do it without hesitation.  Also reports about alts are taken seriously and investigated.  If there's no action taken it's because we couldn't find a strong enough link between the alt and any other account.

Thank you Dessa for that insight

12 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

No Problem Ulster is part of the UK, Glasgow too.

Ireland ( or Eire ) is a separate country ( unless Northern Ireland seceeded from the UK in secret )

16 minutes ago, LeCheese said:

Ireland ( or Eire ) is a separate country ( unless Northern Ireland seceeded from the UK in secret )

If you don`t know what you are talking about then please do not involve yourself . There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for you to comment here when it is very clear you do not know what you are talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Rugby

The team represents the IRFU Ulster Branch, which is one of the four primary branches of the IRFU and is responsible for rugby union throughout the geographical Irish province of Ulster, comprising Northern Ireland and three counties in the Republic of Ireland which are Donegal, Monaghan and Caven.

in rugby terms,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland_national_rugby_union_team

The Ireland national rugby union team represents the island of Ireland (including both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland) in rugby union.

6 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

If you don`t know what you are talking about then please do not involve yourself . There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for you to comment here when it is very clear you do not know what you are talking about.

Cough..

Ulster Rugby is one of the four professional provincial rugby teams from the island of Ireland.

The team compete in the Guinness PRO14 and the Heineken Champions Cup. The team represents the IRFU Ulster Branch, which is one of the four primary branches of the IRFU and is responsible for rugby union throughout the geographical Irish province of Ulster, comprising six counties in Northern Ireland and three in the Republic of Ireland.

Ulster play their home games at the Kingspan Stadium in Belfast which has a capacity of 18,000. The province plays primarily in white and the team crest features a red hand within two rugby balls, the red hand being taken from the provincial flag of Ulster.

Rugby in Ulster is officiated by members of the Ulster Society of Rugby Football Referees.

As at 1st June 2017 we had 135 qualified referees, 11 trial members and 39 referee assessors along with a pool of non-active members.  We operate as an integral part of Ulster Rugby and are administered by a set of professionals from the branch offices.

Your link pretty much nails it

Scottish teams, and supporters, have had a fractious relationship with Irish referees in the past and, while neutral referees are usually employed in cross-border games in the competition it is not mandatory.

Enjoy your day ( and your rugby )

48 minutes ago, LeCheese said:

You made several statements, 

Then you quote,

Ulster Rugby is one of the four professional provincial rugby teams from the island of Ireland.

Do you see the issue here? Do you see your contradictions?