What's got you flummoxed today?

6,964 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, sos-the-rope said:

Finally made it inside the "Taste of Britain" shop in Frankfurt (it's normally closed when I go past).

It's 99% just processed food from the UK but at 4 or 5 times the price. Hmmmmm. Why is this place still open?

The person there has integrated well though. I tried to be friendly and chat a bit but no cigar.

I'm also curious as to what foods you were expecting.  I've known the owner of that shop since he opened it many years ago and I think he provides the British/Irish population here with the foods they long for, at least he tries to.  I know that if people have a special request, he tries to get it for them.

Also, if you need the opening hours, check the website: http://www.a-taste-of-britain.de/

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

What fresh unprocessed food from the UK were you expecting, if I may ask? Well, other than tea.

Actually I would've settled for some of that good old off-brand generic paracetamol :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Tap said:

I'm also curious as to what foods you were expecting.  I've known the owner of that shop since he opened it many years ago and I think he provides the British/Irish population here with the foods they long for, at least he tries to.  I know that if people have a special request, he tries to get it for them.

Also, if you need the opening hours, check the website: http://www.a-taste-of-britain.de/

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

What fresh unprocessed food from the UK were you expecting, if I may ask? Well, other than tea.

Maybe I don't count as British/Irish. That's OK. I've always considered myself English.

2 minutes ago, Tap said:

I was looking at AER Lingus to book a flight- on hold on phone. A great song "Home away from Home'- one line mentions bacon and sausages!

3 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

I was looking at AER Lingus to book a flight- on hold on phone. A great song "Home away from Home'- one line mentions bacon and sausages!

Oh, yeah, a nice piece of thick, Danish bacon... the true taste of England. That would be great. None of this waffer-thin stuff.

Just ...

give I boiled parsnips
And a great [gert] dish of taters
And a lump of fatty bacon
And a pint of good ale

http://awe.mudcat.org/@displaysong.cfm?SongID=2291

they had some English ale too but it's the same or cheaper at the kiosk!

1 hour ago, sos-the-rope said:

Finally made it inside the "Taste of Britain" shop in Frankfurt (it's normally closed when I go past).

It's 99% just processed food from the UK but at 4 or 5 times the price. Hmmmmm. Why is this place still open?

The person there has integrated well though. I tried to be friendly and chat a bit but no cigar.

My daughter came home last week with a few items from that shop.

Every now and then we order from British Corner Shop online.  Each time I wonder why we bother as we normally don't buy many processed foods...nostalgia most likely.  Can't say we will bother again.  Maybe we'll try the fresh food delivery.  I recently saw that Rewe online offer a variety of British foods.

2 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

Oh, yeah, a nice piece of thick, Danish bacon... the true taste of England. That would be great. None of this waffer-thin stuff.

You can get Kettyle back bacon from Frisches Paradies in FFM Griesheim. Fresh and vacuum packed. Freezes very well.

As @emkay kindly phrased it, such shops are for those who have a nostalgic palate.

Not normally my thing but if the local petrol station sold Mr Kipling cherry bakewells I would indulge every now and again.

We have a British Shop in our nearest town and I availed myself of their delicious vegetable samosas today! Used some of their mint sauce and a local yoghurt as a dip  and...yummy!

:P:P

Flour based products are something that can very much taste of home due to the technique by which they are made and the sort of wheat that is used. I would quite happily put mint sauce and local yoghurt on a toasted crumpet. UK industrial manufacturing process at its very best. The samosas also sound very good though. :D

Flummoxed continued;

risking my health, I put my hand in the rubbish bin and..voilà, kommentarlos!!

:D

IMG_0898.JPG

Now I am craving the odd pastry style product they make cherry bakewells from. Empty carbs and fats made in a test tube in a laboratory near you. Delivered to a corner shop at the end of your road. Londis I am looking at you ... Student revision food at its best. I would probably not bother putting any less than the whole pack of samosas in the oven though. Waste of electricity to heat the oven up twice. :D

Half for me and the rest for an elderly South African friend who loves spicy food, kommentarlos! He will be delighted tomorrow!

It‘s raining here???

Zero chance of rain today , according to my weather forecast sources— and it‘s been raining for two hours????.

Why, weather Gods , why??

On April 30, 2019 at 12:54:33 PM, john g. said:

We have a British Shop in our nearest town and I availed myself of their delicious vegetable samosas today! Used some of their mint sauce and a local yoghurt as a dip  and...yummy!

:P:P

You need a spicy mango chutney with the samosas!

Need to buy more samosas, RedMidge! All gone yesterday!!

:wub:

3 minutes ago, john g. said:

Need to buy more samosas, RedMidge! All gone yesterday!!

:wub:

Love samosas and all food Indian!  I used filo pastry to make some- and baked in oven.

30 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Love samosas and all food Indian!  I used filo pastry to make some- and baked in oven.

- where do you get the pastry from? I haven't managed to find it here yet!!!

Streudelteig is close enough to filo (is it the same thing?) to work for samosas. Should be possible in Bavaria to find.

40 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

where do you get the pastry from? I haven't managed to find it here yet!!!

They have a whole slew of filo doughs at my local turkish market - check yours :)