What's got you flummoxed today?

6,873 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, Swiss SRF (free TV) is showing Porto-Liverpool, but yesterday I watched young Ajax beating Juve. What a match!  Ajax has a low budget and a 19-year-old captain!!

Luke: neutrals/non-partisan footie fans around Europe are all amazed by Ajax!

Yes, football is not completely dominated by money. Reminds me a bit of Leicester City when they won the Premier League. Ajax is the first team in 14 years outside the big 5 competitions (EN, DE, ES, IT and FR) to reach the semi-finals. The last team was PSV Eindhoven :).

I have been really tired lately for no apparent reason.  I struggle not to fall asleep at work, yet here I lie in my bed unable to sleep. 

I’m flummoxed a to why I can’t sleep when I would actually be able to. 

8 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

I have been really tired lately for no apparent reason.  I struggle not to fall asleep at work, yet here I lie in my bed unable to sleep. 

Try reading a real book and avoid alcohol for an hour before going to bed.  That and exercise may help.  Good luck. 

8 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

Maybe talk to a pharmacist about supplements that could help i.e...iron, B vitamins, magnesium.  

12 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

menopause

I just had a checkup relatively recently, but if it keeps up, I will get it checked out. 

Thank you for your suggestions. :wub:

On 4/10/2019, 5:41:10, fraufruit said:

( Ignore the above bit, laptop is playing up tonight )

John,

Most of those people are probably EDL members who would find it impossible to memorise anything more complex.

..the things you can find about people as time goes on!

An elderly Argentine friend of mine here, over lunch... he has British and Argentine passports (  grandfather was Scottish ). His Dad was a British secret service agent in Argentina during the Second World War. Argentina was basically pro-Nazi. It turns out his Dad´s neighbour, a friend of his, was a German secret service agent at the same time!

More: his Dad signed the Official Secret´s Act or whatever at the time and kept it all secret from his family until he was old, really old, and took my friend on a trip to Spain in the 60´s. Dad stopped the car outside a Spanish bar and went inside. His Dad had been in radio contact during the War with some Spanish anti-Fascists and protectors of asylum-seekers.

His Dad went inside a bar and saw a man and asked him if he was xxxx.(the owner of the bar ). 

" Yes, why?"

" I am Butterfly."

The two men hugged and cried.

I was very moved and i had never seen this Argentine friend, a down-to-earth former engineer,  with tears in his eyes.

Edit: more! We found out what we were both doing the day Galtieri played silly buggers and sent  young conscripts to  Port Stanley in 1982.

I was in Rio and wanted to visit Argentine friends in Buenos Aires and was at the bus station in Rio, was about to buy a bus ticket to Buenos Aires ( including the ferry ride across  the Rio de la Plata ) but bought a newspaper to keep me company for the ride and found out a " war " had broken out "..so phoned my friends and we agreed to meet in Uruguay (which we did..and the last time I ever met one of my favourite women of all time...Rocio, feminist, mother to me for a year, just glorious...arriving home late at night and she´d hear me and " nene, you want a  steak? " Yes. I want a steak and she´d put tango on the radio and I´d try to be intolerant and and say,  " Rocio, Led Zeppelin is modern where I come from "..ah well, I want to meet this lady in our next life and we will! Best cook ever!!

Ah, my Argentine friend that same day ( told me the story ):

had bought a ticket to fly to Argentina from Britain because his brother was getting married! He missed the wedding..but the airline was nice about it and refunded his money. 

He missed the bagpipes and all of it.

He still visits his brother there every year and just has.

I´d love to go to Argentina again...

So Haspa are finally back on line after a few days of tinkering with their internet banking site and what a crappy result. Difficult to navigate, everything looks like a waste of time and money. Yuk...

:(