What's got you flummoxed today?

6,872 posts in this topic

Today I was sent a 40-page report done by an unnamed large consultancy which contained the following:

• Things that were blatantly obvious
  • Conclusions on user satisfaction reached by asking technical staff rather than, er, users
  • Lots of Excel & Powerpoint slides with some lovely-looking unweighted by actual usable information charts and stuff
  • Recommending the tool before any analysis or methodology

Why am I flummoxed?

It is bizarre to me how someone wasn't embarassed to deliver this.

I love sport and exercise. I am therefore flummoxed* as to why I cannot be arsed to get off my now ever increasing arse and do some lovely exercise. I know it would make me feel better but I just can't do it. Ejit.

* as somebody said previously, wonderful word, verblüffen is just not quite the same.

And let me guess, price tag of half a mil?

Stick on some noughts if we buy even half what they are recommending.

It's tripe.

But saying that something is tripe in your own opinion isn't politically a good idea, especially if you can explain why it is tripe. Which is also flummoxing (is that even a word? I'm not entirely sure).

Am currently reading Triumph of the Airheads and the Retreat from Commonsense, which probably isn't helping. Think going training later will be a good idea.

Why is my right knee so stiff and swollen that I can only walk but not run, and barely go up or down stairs? It doesn't feel sore, and I have no recollection of having banged it, fallen on it, twisted, sprained or otherwise mistreated it recently. It just went like that completely out of the blue. At least I can still walk, but I'm taking a walking stick when I go out, just in case. Bizarre.

Rightly excited about the warm sunny weather, I break out the capri pants and flip flops today. When I went to pick up the kids from school at 1:00pm (17 degrees and sunny at the time), I was flummoxed to see all the moms still wearing jeans, boots, long sleeves, leather jackets, scarves and various combinations of winter clothing items. I was then doubly-flummoxed when they all seemed flummoxed at what I was wearing. I just don't get it. So then I took the kids for ice cream just for my own edification.

You belong to the goodguys TL! People were coming up to me at work and outright asking me if it's "OK to go out like that", that being short sleeves and jeans. Waiting for instructions from the ministry of propaganda, no doubt.

Haha, glad to hear I'm not alone. It seems like after several months of winter and the constant threat of a cold draft that will bring death and destruction to their precious Gesundheit these folks would be relishing this weather. Oh well, they can't stop me from wearing weather-appropriate clothing. I might even wear a tank top, that'd show em.

Not sure if I can allow myself to go that far. I'll wait for the Bild tomorrow morning, see if it's OK mobilize the summer gear :).

the best advice I ever got from a friend was to knot 'em shoelaces twice... may sound a bit dumb...but guess I'm a little slow on these things...suffered 26 years of annoying 'untied' shoe lace moments...

I tie both in double knots and still the left shoelace works itself free, generally right before I hit the S-Bahn steps.

I tie both in double knots and still the left shoelace works itself free, generally right before I hit the S-Bahn steps.

Mine do that too, I blame the nylon laces, but I just can't seem to findcotton in the right length.

I was walking past some bushes with deliciously scented flowers today, and taking deep breaths to inhale the intoxicating perfume. Why? Why do we love the smell of flowers, and hate the smell of sweaty armpits? (And even use scented deo to make our armpits smell like flowers.) We don't eat flowers, we don't pollinate them, so why are we attracted to the scent? And why don't we go around sniffing each other's crotches, like dogs? What went wrong in our evolution?

Who says we do not like the smell of sweaty armpits? Begrudge greeting someone by smeling their butt but armpits are ok :P

I am flummoxed because when I got home to check on the pups at lunchtime today, they were in the bedroom together with the door shut! DAMN good thing I got Tobi snipped last week.

I was walking past some bushes with deliciously scented flowers today, and taking deep breaths to inhale the intoxicating perfume. Why? Why do we love the smell of flowers, and hate the smell of sweaty armpits? (And even use scented deo to make our armpits smell like flowers.) We don't eat flowers, we don't pollinate them, so why are we attracted to the scent? And why don't we go around sniffing each other's crotches, like dogs? What went wrong in our evolution?

Not going around sniffing each others crotches would seem like evolution doing a good job to me.