Wages for a customer service agent in Berlin

35 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I've been offered a job working as customer service agent in Berlin, the pay is €8 an hour, €1280 a month. The support is in English, I have a lot of experience in the field and they seem eager talking about the future, potential, management yadayadaya. Essentially providing sales support via telephone and email.

Can someone tell me what the going rate is? I wanted more as its just sitting on UK minimum wage and would be less if it wasn't for the FX rate.

Thanks all

Don't know what the going rate is for such a position, but wanted to advise you not to compare it to UK salaries (cost of living in Berlin is much lower than in UK and unemployment is much higher, thus salaries will be lower).

I've heard of lots of people working way below minimum wage in Berlin and working 2-3 parttime jobs just to survive and stay there.

You haven't mentioned if the €1280 is before or after tax, however if this is after tax I would say it's very reasonably paid. Considering that it's cheaper to live in Berlin than it is in Frankfurt, I can tell you that I have just signed a contract to to work as a technical support engineer (working over phone and email like you) in Frankfurt for only a couple of hundred euros a month more than you, after tax.

The way i would look at it, is: how much does your rent/electricity/phone/food etc cost a month?; How much do you spend elsewhere - going out etc? If that adds up to be around €800 - 900 a month then your laughing, you have a couple hundred extra left to save.

Conquistador is right, you can't compare UK and German salaries.

If you take the job - good luck

If that's a gross hourly rate, then it's low. Bear in mind that the minimum hourly rate for a postman is €9, and they don't need any English. I agree with the others - if it's a job you want and you (want to) believe their promises, then it's quality of life that's important, and if you have enough residual income to live within the quality of your desire.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your replies.

The wage is gross not netto.

I am disappointed to know it is less than a post man considering my one is very stupid!

With my rent is like €200 spare after tax.

I also wanted someone to tell me about social insurance and how much it will be after this deduction.

I should really ask for at least €10 as the workload is apparently high. I also dislike the hours, 10-7PM and need to work one day on a weekend including a Sunday, still a five day week.

It doesn't leave my financial situation very comfortable!

I hope this additional info will make things clearer.

Thank you again.

When i start a job and get the pay offer i always look on the bad side and reckon on how much unemployment benefit i would get.66% of your average wage.Could you then survive on € 900 a month i think not.Wife applied for a job filling shelves uo in a supermarket and they were offerring € 7 an hour.

Endiraz, without knowing more about the position, I might suspect that the 8 euros per hour offer is probably what they have budgeted for the position, regardless of an applicant's level of experience. There are undoubtedly a lot of English speakers in Berlin who don't speak German very well and thus they would be glad to grab such a position, thus possibly making it tough to demand 10 euros per hour.

I think they haven't budgeted anything specific. He got his calculator out and told me it was paid 'monthly' and not by the hour...but he will have simply been calculating it to be month-I'm sure.

I have no doubt they are taking advantage of me and offering me a very low pay for the work and responsibilities. Plus I don't think I could get up in the morning for €8 an hour!

I wonder what people are earning in shops? I heard those who work in boutiques (speaking fluent German + English plus others) are on almost €20 an hour, is this true? Way higher than in England.

So it seems that the consensus is that it is too little. I actually speak a little German and during his discussion with his colleague I specifically heard the world 'alt', I'm sure they are discriminating against me for my young age.

If I am asked to sign a contract, can there be a named section for a wage review on a timescale and what is the legal time for giving notice here?

I did a calculation and on the 13.3% standard insurance rate (can I do any better?) my netto will be €11,448 only €954 a month. That is extremely low!

One other thing, does anyone know the hourly rate for such a job? I mean what do telesales people earn for example, that is less skilled than what they want me to do.

Thank you all again!

I would tell them that I want 10 euros an hour. Simple.

Then they can explain why and and,.. you never know. They have made an offer and you can decline it. I agree with the others about if you can pay for everything and still save - all you need now is to have fun on the job ;-)

I think wages vary a lot regionally, so the most accurate would be to find out what people in sales in Berlin earn. I know for example that the going rate for call center agents (ususally demands less qualifications than customer service) in Frankfurt am Main is around 10 €, which is precious little, considering the high cost of living here.

A monthly salary is better than an hourly rate, because of the fix amount, regardless of holidays. You could also ask if they'll pay more than 12 salaries (can be up to 14 salaries, but that is rare). And what other extras do they offer – bonuses, job ticket? I would try to point out the fact that you have job experience, perhaps you'll get a better deal.

It is also reasonable to have a salary review after the usual trial period Probezeit of 6 months (during this there is a short notice period of 2 weeks). Should be a written agreement.

AFAIK the minimum notice period after the Probezeit is 4 weeks effective end of the month, but it can also be longer, depending on the contract.

Here are some figures about salaries in sales, but they are averages, and apparently Berlin is at the lower end:

Sales /Vertrieb Gehälter (Click on "Funktionen – Wer verdient wieviel", then on "Vertrieb" and "Details ..."

I'm very curious, as I was also offered a very similiar job from a company called Move24?  if the pay is 1280 you can forget it.  The cost of living I heard is terrible.  I live in a small village in franconia (very cheap) and the average income is 2k/month brutto

How much is the hourly rate now in 2017 for Berlin?  I've applied for one position where they require Spanish and English, so maybe they pay a bit more.

The minimum legal esge is 8.84€ per hour (see here), have they made an offer or are they asking you to suggest how much you want? When I started one job I expected to get between 4,000 and 4,500 Marks per month so I said 5,000 to leave room for bargaining. I was pleasantly surprised when the didn't try to reduce it!

3 hours ago, AR said:

How much is the hourly rate now in 2017 for Berlin?

Usually 8.84€/hr and a 35 hour week for call centres through an agency. 

Assuming that you are single, don't have kids, and don't pay church tax, you'd receive approximately 1,015 €/ month net with a 35 hour/week contract and 1,125 € / month net with a 40 hour week contract. 

3 hours ago, AR said:

I've applied for one position where they require Spanish and English, so maybe they pay a bit more.

I would be very surprised if you are offered anything over 9€/hr gross; there are more than enough unskilled foreigners desperately looking for work here.

I wouldn't go less than 2200/ month...depending on your tax bracket it will give about 13-1400 a month to live on.  To be good at customer service you need to have some experience or be very good at dealing with people in all situations.

8 hours ago, Jared Brummond said:

I wouldn't go less than 2200/ month...depending on your tax bracket it will give about 13-1400 a month to live on.  To be good at customer service you need to have some experience or be very good at dealing with people in all situations.

We are talking about Berlin, not Bavaria. I know many people in Berlin with years of experience and excellent customer service skills who earn much less than 2000€/month here. :(

@AR Please let us know what they say, I think it'll be very useful info for other posters. 

My understanding is that a salary in Berlin is around 20% less than on a similar position in Bavaria for example.

Thank you all for the responses, they are very useful for comparison. For this position they were requesting people that have handled customer issues before, and have a native language knowledge (they required norwegian, italian or spanish).

I found out the details today: initial 6 months contract for 10€/hour ( 40h/week ). The recruiter told me it is above the average pay for this sort of position and this value had just recently got an increase.