Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is there something "special" about this week?

13 posts in this topic

I've noticed this week folks at work cutting out early (by 5 or 5:30 I'm like the only one left, usually it's 6 or 6:30) and on the morning commute via the U2 the normal mass of folks aren't on the train.

I know it's the week before Halloween... it something up? Curious minds (small as they may be) would like to know.

Maybe it's because we're rolling the clock back and folks want to use that extra hour of evening sunlight while they can? :blink:

Leaving work at 5:30 is early?

Next week is school holidays, so actually, there isn't any reason for it this week.

It could well be that they want to use the "extra hour" whilst they can. Especially as it's such nice weather. Not :blink:

Its just autumn, the weathers cooling down, and things are getting greyer, peoples moods and personalitys included. I dont know if its just me but I notice it begins after Oktoberfest finishes, and goes through to christmas. People get scratchy with each other, a lot of projects are organized to either finish or at least reach a milestone before the winter holidays starts, and that puts pressure on.

Spending evenings at the office with the co-workers becomes even shittier than usual. And thats why people in my office are starting to leave a lot earlier than usual. Oh people are probably already starting their christmas shopping and other things they need to prepare for for the winter, such as get the car checked out, change the tires etc. And of course you cant do these things in the weekend so people have to finish work earlier to get them done.

Just a couple of theories, maybe there is something specific happening this week.

Actually that tyre-changing theory is pretty credible. All that kind of getting-ready-for-winter crap. Which reminds me...

For reasons beyond my control I was in work until half eight last night. So from experience I can't agree with Kza on that point: I think it's a good time of year to get on with your colleagues and your work in the evenings. It's after new year that people get irritated with each other, mid-Jan to end of Feb kind of time, when it's still cold and grey and the days just don't seem to be getting any lighter.

I'd say it's the shorter days. It's getting dark, I want to leave the office. There's also the theory from that John Mayer song that says we're all trying to pair up for the winter (cause no one wants to be alone for Christmas). That might apply to the singles. ;)

Well, I've been getting in late, leaving early and skipping out in the middle of the day for the last two weeks - is it because of the weather(no way), snow tire changing(no chance) - it's because I put off all summer and fall things that I need to get done. ie - renew my work permit and residence permit, see the dentist, get a root canal, see the doctor, bring the car to the shop, get my hair done(a 2 hour ordeal), etc. Maybe people are just playing catch up!

No change in my tram journey. Still loads of school kids and people every morning

P

(goes too to find MVV rant thread...)