Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Berlitz and Inlingua - intensive language schools

21 posts in this topic

Anyone here use any of the berlitz language schools?

looks like this is where my company may have enrolled me to go and do my german studdies.

Any thoughts/information greatfully received.

Thanks

Pootle

Hi there, I would be most interested in any feedback about your language course & where it is located. I need to do another one and have not had time to do any research. The last course I did was at Germanligua BWS next to Hauptbahnhof and they only did day courses but now I am working in Halbergmoos & have moved to Freising & would prefer somewhere easier to get to...keep me posted.

Hi All,

I need a little guidance concerning language schools. I am trying to decide between Berlitz and Inlingua. I live in Augsburg---I know this is a forum about Munich but I believe everyone's views on general quality, method, etc of different language schools should translate amongst cities. I did search about this on the forum and read German Language Schools - Munich and Learning German in Munich, on a budget but they didn't quite answer my questions.

I am interested in an intensive course, ie. 5 days a week, 3 hours a day. Inlingua comes in at €385/mo and Berlitz at €320. I am inclined to choose Berlitz simply because they are cheaper, and not to mention, a name that I have heard and seen all over.

So basically, does anyone have any horror / positive stories about either of these two schools that would help me choose?

I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Cheers,

Julian

Topics merged by admin

I went to Inlingua and thought it was so so. The teachers were all native speakers, however the teachers did change around a bit. I wne to evening classes and the attendance would go up and down so eventually they cancelled the class but reassigned whoever was left to another one. The classes were small (or maybe that was cause no one turned up!).There was never any more than 7 people in my class which I think is really good cause you can sit and listen for ever but eventually you just gotta talk and I trhink the fewer people in the class the better your chances. I have no experience of Berlitz so I can't say yeah or nay...

I've been studying with Berlitz for a year (one-on-one 3x per week). I can say that having used them in Michigan, Missouri, and München their teacher quality seems to be quite good. After a year with them, I would say that my German is quite passable.

Despite their screwing about with some administrative blah blah, I would recommend them.

If you have the scratch, though, I hear the Göthe institute is the best way to go.

I am at Inlinqua now in Munich, is quite a bit more expensive here though :) Overall, I like them, but I am a firm believer that you can not judge by school alone. I have found that I dont really like the teacher that we have, but not really any choice right now for my level, although, she was gone for 3 days and I absolutely loved the sub. EVeryone learns in a diff way and every teacher teaches in a diff way (no matter what the schools say, they may have "their method" but the teachers have theirs.

What I would suggest (what I did) I went to each school I was intersted in and ask to sit in class for a day for free- all schools (except for some reason the Goethe inst, which is 2-3 times the price anyway) will allow this. That way you can see first hand how the teacher is and if you like the style and course - do this at both schools you are looking at and let that help you decide.

Hope it helps,

Babs

Thanks for the advice guys!

As euro suggested, I sat in for a trial lesson with inlingua...friendly people, but I wasn't very impressed by the attitude of the teacher or of the class. I guess my own impressions about inlingua were summed up exactly by labadi.

And thanks Iceberg for giving me a mini-review of Berlitz...you are the first person I've managed to hear from that actually has gone to a Berlitz school (even though there must be millions out there)

Anyway, so I guess I am going to go for Berlitz...I wish I had the "scratch" to try Goethe :P

Thanks again!

Julian

Julian

How was Berlitz? Can you recommend it?

Any information about Berlitz would be greatly appreciated.

anyone learnt german at berlitz???

im interested in a course and thinking of learning there

any suggestions or tips??

info appreciated

thanks

Topics merged by admin

Hey Irish,

I have taken many intensive courses for my job and can say that Berlitz is good. They have a method they use, but having been hired back in the US by Inlingua their method is just about the same. I know my company paid an extraordinary amount of money for Berlitz, so are you planning on paying for the course or your company? I can definately recommend some "fabulous" private teachers and they know this Berlitz method, so if your interested let me know. If you want a more permanent atmosphere, in other words always going to Berlitz, then sure you can pay the money and have a teacher. I learned a lot at Berlitz, but everyones learning process of course is different. Having had NO german before and now working everyday in German and I can say my experience there was positive. If you want more information just ask.

Hi All,

Here’s my two pence worth.

My background is that I taught English for Berlitz in Barcelona and have done a Germany course at Goethe, German and Spanish at Birbeck University in the UK, now I am studying Spanish at Instituto Cervantes in the UK.

A. Language schools are all about earning money first and foremost - Goethe is less commercial as the Germany governments sponsors it like Instituto Cervantes (Spanish) or British Council (UK).

B. What distinguishes the schools is HOW they teach; as each one has its techniques and methods (some extreme). Berlitz has a so-called natural method (i.e. immersion like the way children learn*). So you need to look at these technique and methods and see if you like them.

C. Point to remember: - the problem with German is that it is very grammatical so learning by listening is not so easy and you will find that high street school don’t normally do homework as it would mean paying teachers more. You have to decide what your goal is.

D. Goethe is more like a University – they will teach you in a structured way to pass potential exams. It will include writing as you advance.

E. Adult Education course can be good (and they are cheap) – it will depend on the teacher for the quality and you may end up in a class of different abilities. This can slow the whole process down (also a problem in High street schools).

My advice is

· Decide on your goal;

· Decide whether you need grammar and more structure (if so Goethe or Adult Education);

· Take only a short course and change schools if you are not happy

· Look out for intercambios (i.e. Germans looking to learn and practice English) it’s a good way to practice outside of the class by doing activities i.e. going to Museums and only speaking in German;

· Starting reading a.s.a.p. buy children’s books;

· Start watching TV – children’s TV

· Start watching Hollywood films in German with English subtitles.

· Don’t give up learning a language is about persevering

As for me, I’ve been learning Spanish for 12 years now and speak not so bad Spanish – my german is also good after 6 years. I’m happy to do dinner parties in German and will only speak to Germans in German – it’s a rule I have.

* The problem is with this method you aren’t a child and nor is your brain.

I did an immersion course plus private tutoring in German at Berlitz. I can say that they are not too bad. I can't compare them to other schools as I only used Berlitz. The teachers seem to be OK, but not true language instruction professionals. Some are very experienced, others are less capable. The books, CD's and other teaching materials were good and relevant to real-life needs. Their business language supplement was also useful.

The method was pretty good, if the teacher kept to it. There were a lot of teachers who too easily slipped into english. I had to be pretty firm about not wanting them to speak english with me. You have to keep in mind you are paying them to teach you german, not to practice their english.

As said already above, the teacher is very important. No matter what school you attend, keep in mind you are paying them and it is their job to provide a teacher that meets your needs and learning style. Don't be afraid to ask them to switch teachers.

Berlitz did succeed in teaching me german. I conduct all daily business and correspondence in german and can also give professional presentations and participate in meetings and telephone calls without problem. My company paid a lot of money for this result, but I did reach the level of proficiency we set from the beginning evaluation.

Berlitz Summary:

+ They are competitively priced, but still expensive. This price level is probably more attractive to those whose fees will be paid by their company. If cost is an issue, a private tutor is probably more useful and cheaper, though with probably slower results.

+ The method works well with immersion training. One or two weeks of immersion training really can accomplish a lot. You can go from nothing to basic communication in a short time. I recommend starting this way.

- The method itself is simple and does not really differentiate them competitively on the market. They will tell you that the Berlitz method is unique, but it is pretty standard practice these days.

- The method is focused on spoken language. If you need to reach a specific level of written proficiency, you are probably better of with a more structured learning method (like Göthe).

- The competence of their teachers varies widely and you have to proactively monitor teacher quality and request changes if it's not working out. They do not regularly check with the student about this.

Out of a possible 5 (1 being lowest, 5 being highest) I would give them a 3.5.

Hi...i"m an au-pair in Munich,is there any morning,twice a week class in Berlitz?and does anybody know how much it cost for one level?many thanks

Most of Berlitz's teachers are freelance teachers. This means, you have the possibility to work as many hours as you would like, WHEN Berlitz has the classes to give you. They are not able to garauntee anything. Generally, if you are a good teacher, and keep a good relationship with the receptionist(s) aka planners, you are able to work decent hours. However, things are always changing. You may work a lot one week, and then very little the next week. You never know. So, to answer your question.. No. There is no such thing as a freelance teacher. You make your hours.

Basic German lessons at Deutschakademie and Volkshochschule are 285 and 265 euros respectively. IIRC.

The former has intensive courses starting in November, the latter does not have intensive courses and the next one starts in January.

You will need at least two of those to complete the A1 level though.