Strange facts that you never wanted to know

650 posts in this topic

Here is a fantastic trick to help you with your calculations.

x% of y = y% of x
So, for example, if you needed to work out 4% of 75 in your head, (which sounds very hard)  just flip it and and do 75% of 4, which is easier.

18% of 50 is hard to calculate.  But 50% of 18 is simple!   7% of 50 (difficult)  50% of 7 = 3.5

You're welcome.

The inventor of Vaseline, Robert Chesebrough, believed in his product so much that he ate a spoonful of it every day.

Thought I would share this...

DHL/Deutsche Post  address recognition machines can not read "White text"...

So, if you have your own printed labels wit lets say a blue background and white address printed on it... The machine will reject it, then a worker will need to enter it correctly into the system!

How Bizare!

I told my wife to embrace her mistakes.

She hugged me.  

There you go ladies, sound advice for you. Ignore at your own peril.

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/suffragette.png

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/suffragette-1.png

The lead singer of this 80s and 90s Ska band is Danny Elfman. Elfman went on to score numerous movies, most notably writing the Batman Theme, for which he won a Grammy, and the Simpsons Theme. Elfman has been nominated for many Oscars, but never won.

Oh man I love Oingo Boingo, and yes, it does always surprise me so many people don't know about Danny Elfman's history with them. 

I saw them at the Ritz in NYC in the 80s.  One of the greatest shows I ever attended - just an amazing band, especially live

could have even been this show?

I saw them at the Fox in Atlanta in the 80s. It was an awesome show.

Marie Curie died of leukemia in 1934.  This is her laboratory notepad, it's radioactive and will be for the next 1500 years.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-oOeliX4AE2ZX2.jpg:large

The Church is hypocritical, who knew.

The modern Christian church does not condone prostitution and would never consider getting involved with it. However, in 12 th century England, a borough of London known as Southwark had eighteen licensed brothels with about one thousand prostitutes employed therein! All of these brothels were run by the church and brought in large sums of money for building churches and other ecclesiastical duties.

All the brothels were in Bankside, an area of Southwark, and the brothels themselves were called the “Bankside stews.” There are two theories on how the brothels came to have this name. First, the ponds on the Bishop’s land bred fish for the bishop to eat and were called “stew-ponds”. This led to the phrase “visiting the stews” becoming laden with innuendo. The other theory is that the name comes from the Norman French word Estuwes which means stove. This refers to the stoves used in the bathhouses to produce steam. The brothel keeper came to be known as a “stewholder” and the women that worked there were known as “Winchester Geese” named after the Bishop of Windsor that presided over the area.

Officially, the church could not condone prostitution. However, there were no rules against them profiting from it. It's important to understand that bishops in medieval England were not just churchmen, but politicians and statesmen too. St. Thomas Aquinas likened the place to “a cesspool in the palace; take away the cesspool and the palace becomes an unclean evil-smelling place.” Therefore, prostitution was seen as a necessary evil to gain revenue for the church.

More here;

https://www.ancient-origins.net/ancient-places-europe/medieval-church-funded-prostitution-0011154

On 3/6/2019, 1:39:20, hooperski said:

Here is a fantastic trick to help you with your calculations.

x% of y = y% of x
So, for example, if you needed to work out 4% of 75 in your head, (which sounds very hard)  just flip it and and do 75% of 4, which is easier.

18% of 50 is hard to calculate.  But 50% of 18 is simple!   7% of 50 (difficult)  50% of 7 = 3.5

You're welcome.

Thanks mate.  Made my way.