Strange facts that you never wanted to know

481 posts in this topic

If you were to put one of the old fashioned "pear" shaped light bulbs in your mouth , its impossible to take it out again without breaking it .

Abdul Kassem Ismael, Grand Vizier of Persia in the tenth century, carried his library with him wherever he went. The 117,000 volumes were carried by 400 camels which were trained to walk in alphabetical order.

When measured from the center of the earth, the highest mountain on the planet isn't Everest, it's Chimborazo.

Don't you mean from the base? From the center of the Earth, Everest is still higher than anything.

South London?

Oh wait! That's the centre of the known universe.

I call bullshit.

The question is, of course, what do I stand to gain when I prove you wrong?

Re Chimborazo: I would assume that's cos the earth is flattened at the poles and bulges out at the equator.

From Wiki Chimborazo article:

The summit of Mount Everest reaches a higher elevation above sea level, but the summit of Chimborazo is widely reported to be the farthest point from Earth's center (Senne 2000, [5]), despite a possible challenge from Huascarán.[3] Chimborazo is one degree south of the equator and the earth's diameter at the equator is greater than at the latitude of Everest, nearly 28° north, with sea level also elevated. Despite being 2,581 m (8,568 ft) lower in elevation above sea level, it is 6,384.4 km (3,968 mi) from the Earth's center, 2.1 km farther than the summit of Everest.[4]

@Genie: Oops, sorry, didn't notice your previous post ... guess I owe you one then :unsure:

The vast majority of the world's bullshit is not actually produced by bulls.

Nope, it's produced on this forum.

Wasn't there some debate a few years back as to whether K2 might actually be taller than Everest ??

There are infinite places on earth where you can go 100km southwards then 100km eastwards and finally 100km northwards, still returning to the departing point.