Deutsche Post complaints and criticism

445 posts in this topic

I think you are all going to get a lot more angry about this!

According to Yahoo:

Die Deutsche Post stellt möglicherweise ab nächstem Jahr samstags keine Briefe mehr zu. Es gebe zurzeit derartige Überlegungen, um die Kosten in diesem Bereich zu senken, sagte der Vorstandsvorsitzende des Konzerns, Klaus Zumwinkel, am Donnerstagabend in Berlin vor Journalisten. Eine Entscheidung darüber werde frühestens Ende dieses Jahres fallen.

Deutsche Post may not deliver post Saturdays starting next year. This will be done in order to sink costs, and will be decided at the end of this year.

This is the consequence of the privatisation and introduction of the market that everyone clamoured for.

Same as closure of post office, removal of letter boxes etc etc etc

I quite like Saturday post but it isn't that important really - there are plenty of other countries with no Saturday delivery. A reasonable idea I guess

MoiLV you have been here too long! (to sink costs ;) )

Cos they are doing it to sink costs!

Plus I'm not sure they find it easy to recruit and keep staff.

This is the consequence of the privatisation and introduction of the market that everyone clamoured for.

Exactly the same as in the UK. The Royal Mail had its services opened up to competition, so private operators came in and cherry-picked the most profitable operations (like bulk mail), leaving Royal Mail with the unprofitable business, like the delivery of small letters from Cornwall to the Hebrides, and a correspondingly enormous debt. Now they want to increase the price of stamps by 25% to cover some of their losses. Don't believe the Tories: privatisation usually ends up costing the public more.

Cos they are doing it to sink costs!

who says 'sink costs' in English? (zu senken) :huh: lower or cut costs?

I'm reviving this old thread because I'm so mad I could spit! I thought the US post office was bad, but this is horrendous! A family member mailed 9 packages to me from the US, costing over $350. All of the packages were mailed on the same day and were addressed identically. 2 of the packages were delivered in about 10 days. The remaining 7 packages never showed up. I assumed they were stuck in customs and tried to be patient. After waiting 2 weeks, my husband called the customer service number (my German still sucks) and was told that they had no record of the packages, but that we should go to the local post office. We went to the post office, who also had no packages, nor any record of them, but told us to call DHL. We called DHL immediately, who told us that the packages were still in customs and they gave us the correct tracking numbers (US tracking numbers are useless here). Inputting the tracking numbers on the DHL website only told us that there was no record of the packages...what the. So we call DHL again, and are told this time that we should call our local Customs office. The Customs office tells us that the packages were sent back this morning because Deutsche Post was "unable" to deliver the customs notice. I don't work yet and am in the apartment for most of the day. Our name is on the buzzer, which has only been rung twice in the past 3 weeks, neither of which was by the Post. After calling Deutsche Post again, they say they attempted to deliver the notice once, left no notification that they attempted, and never attempted to deliver the notice again. How the hell would we know that the items are sitting in Customs waiting for us?!?! The packages are now being shipped back to the US, at the loss of hundreds of dollars, because Deutsche Post couldn't be bothered to ring the f-ing buzzer or leave an f-ing note. I've filled out the complaint form, but I'm not holding my breath that that will actually accomplish anything. DHL has put some kind of emergency hold on the shipment to try to stop it from leaving Germany, as has the Customs office, but both readily admit it probably won't work.

/rant

Sorry for the rambling rant, but I'm so angry and frustrated I don't know what else to do.

We have had many complaints about the service (not) provided by Deutsche Post (one time a neighbor brought in an Amazon package for me which she had found lying in the middle of the road in the snow). We have been given the run-around between our local post office and Hamburg, my partner kept pushing until he got a Frankfurt number to call. He called what is the equivalent of the post office general and was told that the mail carriers are contract workers over which the post office has no control. More or less concluding - you get what you pay for or as they say in the states, 'minimum wage, minimum labor'.

We live in a small community where we become familiar with the people we do business with on a regular basis. I love our regular mail carrier. He was delivering mail to the market while I was going in to shop, he stopped and gave me my package. Sometimes it's the people that make the service, not the service.

for everyone who has people sending stuff from the States. My mum sent me a package and it took 11 days. Apparently everything goes priority mail. But the kicker is if you actually get the priority mail stamp or the little paper stuck to your package saying its priority mail you supposedly get it quicker. Figure they take the other stuff and let it sit for a bit. But just a tip. The post is quirkly like that.

Man don´t get me started on this institution.

1) Where is the law that states you must wait in Germany?. They have sometimes 8 people working in my post office and yet in England your average village Post Office would serve the same amount of people faster with two old biddies. And they´d smile! They spend half their time renovating the building and putting plasma screens in it...why don´t they just use a "newsagent/post office" like everywhre else? They seem to enjoy working slowly, so you can feel hungry and sad while you wait. So you wait throughout most of your lunchhour, and you d think they knew about the services they provide...but they don´t.. they normally have to phone to ask someone else how to shrug their shoulders about "how long does a slightly strange size parcel take to get to England?".

2) On the way out, after youve wasted the whole of your lunch hour ( because it wouldnt get there before you next go home on holiday anyway), you suddenly decide you want to buy a few envelopes at the kiosk where the woman has been standing with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do for the past hour.And she looks at you like your e mad and says "but this is the stamp counter...all those products next to my kiosk..They not here can be bought! .they must at the post desk afer the queue paid be!"

3) Ive had roughly 50 % of all mail returned for various reasons: Str. not Strasse, wrong price for oversize envelope, atamp not perpendicular in corner...and once...they argued that putting my 5 digit post code after the town and not before was a justified reason to return the employment contract I had believed to be sent, signed and dusted. for the past year I have got other German people to write out the snail mail envelopes for me. I ve never had this problem in the three other countries Ive lived in. I have a suspicion that they are nationalistic people with a grudge against foreigners...In England My Grandmother often sent me something to the wrong post code, with the street name spellt wrong with the wrong postage stamp and it still got there!

4) Did you know the posties also deliver half of your junk mail...the stuff you dont want and just sits clogging up the front hall?

5) I blame the Deutche Post for the recent floods in England, Global warming and maybe even for Dianne´s murder.

Holy crap, I just got a phone call from some sort of Customer Service Manager in response to my generic online form. They're still attempting to recall the packages and have them delivered. If that fails, they have agreed to honor any claims and fully reimburse the sender the lost funds. I'm gobsmacked!*

*I've always wanted to use that word in a sentence...the chance has finally arrived!

HOT TIP

NEVER NEVER put your return address on something. Deutsche Post will take any excuse to return to sender. Insufficent postage, wrapping damaged, they really love returning to sender.

If there is no return address, they have to deliver it. that is true whether you are sedning post from Germany or receiving it.

they dont have much things to do or what? :blink:

A friend failed to send me letter 3 times just becos she wrote aUgustina instead of Agustina for my name. Exact address, number, flat, city, plz, except that damn U

If im the postman I will say: "Oh this person had tried three times to send to same address. Hm...then its only wrong typo of the name. Ok I will put it in Miss Agustina's mailbox..."

Doesn’t sound difficult and Everybody happy! :D

I had to post 300 letters the other day to addresses around the world. Sending over 50 identical letters qualifies for InfoBrief discounts. On a small letter within Germany, the price drops by 20 cents from 55 to 35 cents, a saving of some 36%. Large letters are bizarrely only discounted by 10 cents, from €1.45 to €1.35, a saving of scarcely 8%.

International letters are charged according to the total weight of the letters you are sending. Because we were sending large but relatively light letters (still around 90g each though), the price for international letters worked out at €1.12 per letter – LESS than the €1.35 we had to pay for the letters to Germany. It cost us MORE to post a letter to someone 500 metres down the road than to the people in NEW ZEALAND! There is something very, very wrong with the bizarre pricing system this company uses.

I always found the easiest way to get a post complaint resolved was to go the the Deutsche Post website and fill in one of their comments forms...

When my post wasn't being delivered after moving here I filled that in and within 3 days all my post from the previous 6 wks appeared!

luckily our postman are smart... I got my letter even though I am newly moved in to this house and my sister forgotten to write the house number... only have the road name... lol... it was funny though

I sent a letter recently. The person's name was correct, so was the company name, the street name and the number, and the name of the town. The only thing that was incorrect was the postcode. Here are the two possible scenarios that could have then occurred:

• The British way: Spend 30 seconds finding out the correct postcode and sending the letter on its way. After all, everyone makes mistakes and as a public service it's our duty to help!
  • The German way: Send the letter back to the sender! Until people learn to correctly address their letters they'll have manage without having their letters delivered! What are we, some kind of public service?!

Guess which option Deutsche Post went for.

30 seconds = about 8 cents in staff cost.

It's cheaper to just have the computer dump it in the "return" bag.

If the Postleitzahl is wrong and there is no sender information they will research and correct the problem before delivering it on, albeit somewhat delayed (about a week as it goes via an address research office). If there is a sender address given they'll send it back for them to correct. Makes (German) sense really. The sender learns from his mistake and they save the hassle and cost of researching the problem.

Here's mine to the list. A friend of mine in Dublin posted her wedding invitation to my German address. It never arrived and was returned to the sender in Dublin because 'there is no sender address'.

I assume Deutsche Post just sent it back to Ireland and the Irish Postman, opened up the letter to get the RSVP address on the wedding invitation.

As far as I can tell the letter had my correct home address. I gave it to her twice and the replace card never arrived either.

My parents have sent me letters before without ever including the sender address and it has arrived. Is there a law or some regulation that dictates that the sender address should be included, and that overseas letters have to have this too?