Deutsche Post complaints and criticism

445 posts in this topic

so my mother sends this letter to me, right?

correct name (you would think... I mean, she has known me for a while...), correct house number, correct post code, correct amount of postage, the worx. only... she spells it Conradstrasse instead of Konradstrasse

result: DIE Post sends the letter all the way back to friggin belgium! takes 3 weeks!

:angry:

in comparison: when I lived in Luxembourg, I once received a letter that had only my name and Luxembourg on it. no street name, no house number, no post code, no village / town name. and I received it. these Die Post w*nkers can't even figure out Conradstrasse and Konradstrasse are actually the same frigging thing! (and I mean, those who know my name will agree that there is a 99.9999999999% likelihood that there is no-one on the face of this planet with the same combination of names as me, much less in Toytown. and I am duly angemeldet at Poccistrasse. they can find me. watch them find me if ever I forget to pay a 50ct bill!)

at the beginning of august i sent my lil sis a care package per ship to the states. the post said, here it says 10-14 days. and i said, um per ship? they said yeah. i kind of chuckled quietly.

well it's mid-september and she hasn't received it yet. i know for a fact that stuff from the states takes 6-8 weeks per ship so i know damn well german service isn't faster!

oh yeah, for 2.5 kg, i paid €40 (i think).

f*$cking lazy postmen!

2 packages all ordered same day, express delivery all returned to the shops with unclaimed stickers on them within 3 days of their initial dispatch.

Unclaimed my arse. THe post office just sent them back! I had no cards I had no notification.

I had to get them redispatched at my cost!

GRRR

Pootle

Complain. If they say that they did leave cards point out that on those cards it says they will keep the packages for seven days.

It was hard to choose which thread to put this on, there are so many!

I had 2 letters to post to England and my (German) boyfriend took them to the post office. One contained several sheets of A4 so I hadn't put a stamp on, so they weighed it and charged him the appropriate amount. The other one contained only 1 sheet of A4 so I had put a 55c stamp on it. He handed over that letter and asked if the postage amount was right. The post office person put it on the scales, said 'yes', and kept hold of the letter. The next day, that letter was in our post box, with a sticker on it saying it was returned due to insufficient postage and an additional 1.60 was required. We think maybe there are some rules on the envelope size, (it was slightly smaller than A5 size), but if that's the case, the person working in the post office should know that.

We were not impressed!

HOT TIP

NEVER NEVER put your return address on something. Deutsche Post will take any excuse to return to sender. Insufficent postage, wrapping damaged, they really love returning to sender.

If there is no return address, they have to deliver it. that is true whether you are sedning post from Germany or receiving it.

my poor nana got her letter sent back to her as well. She had written

The Resienstrasse instead of Theresienstrasse. Same thing, correct zip code, city.. dumb fuckers.

You know there's some German loser who has nothing better to do than sit at the separating station and say, "nope.. there's a space between the e and the r, that's gonna be confusing, let's send it back to the 90 year old woman, make HER go back to the post office for stamps and send it again."

Managed to send my mum's birthday card off on time for the first time in years.

55 cent stamp on a German bought birthday card.

Of course, they said it should have been EUR 2.00 becuase of the shape and kindly retuned it to me. Missed my mum's birthday. :(

You know there's some German loser who has nothing better to do than sit at the separating station and say, "nope.. there's a space between the e and the r, that's gonna be confusing, let's send it back to the 90 year old woman, make HER go back to the post office for stamps and send it again."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm pretty sure there is no such German loser, the reason the addresses have to be printed exact is that they are scanned and read by a magic postal machine. The machine doesn't use common sense so if part of the address is missing or ambiguous it gets sent back.

What so you cant write on the envelopes by hand???

I am about to send my first piece of mail in germany today, the cancelation for my old T-Online internet account, who would have thought, you can do everything online these days, and the first company to require me to actually write out and send in an old fashioned letter would be germanys main internet provider!

Anyway, so even if I use my very best hand-printing, will it not get through?

Sure you can write it by hand but the address must be legible (and correct).

Like I said the machine is magic. In other words I have no idea how it works only that I sent a letter where part of the address would slide out of sight and had to be shaken in order to read the whole address. I was advised that the machine wouldn't be able to read this.

Best one from good old DP is the one for a new passport, it arrives by mail...you are at work when it arrives...so you have the little card and go to collect it...but you cant because you dont have a valid passport, its in the mail that they wont give you...not a joke took me 45 mins persuading the jerk to open the mail so he could see it was my passport.

Personally, I have few complaints about the Deutsch Post. They're damn fast. I remember as a kid (in the US), my best friend and I used to send each other letters so that we could get mail too, like the grown-ups. She lived 2 doors down from me, and the letters would sometimes take up to 2 weeks to be delivered! :angry: Stick your local letter in the mail here before noon, and 99.9% of the time it will be delivered the next day.

MonksTown...it hapened to me as well, and when it does it sounds funny on here but in real life I was not happy, as the passport I had to apply for was a lost one so didnt have any photo Id and was due to my to paris in a few days for work, really stupid thing was when they Xrayed my luggage they spoted the lost passport in the lining and wanted me to explain why I now had 2 of them and seemed to be hidding one of them in the lining of the case :(

Phew. Looks like I am the lucky one. Never had any problems with them. Recently started a mail order business and have had no complaints from them. Send a package this Friday evening and it was there Saturday afternoon in Hamburg! The customer couldn't be happier!

However, I find them a tad expensive.

My German wife sent a birthday card to her brother in Koblenz. Everything was written as it should be accept she put "To Christian Birthday Boy Schmitz"

Over a week after his birthday the doorbell rang and her brother answered it. The Postman stood there with package in hand and asked if there was a "Christian Birthday Boy Schmitz" living at the address!!! The "Birthday Boy" bit caused a weeks delay.

By contrast, a lorry driver at a company I worked for in England had a serious accident whilst on the continent. The drivers in Belgium clubbed together and sent him a present "To Big Dave, Henley, England"...5 days later he received it (got in the local papers too!!!)

What so you cant write on the envelopes by hand???

I am about to send my first piece of mail in germany today, the cancelation for my old T-Online internet account, who would have thought, you can do everything online these days, and the first company to require me to actually write out and send in an old fashioned letter would be germanys main internet provider!

Anyway, so even if I use my very best hand-printing, will it not get through?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I cancelled mine with a fax.

:lol: be patient with good old snail mail. it depends on the IQ of your postman. if he's reasonably clever, he'll manage. if not, sh*** happens. consider that there may be regulations towards ensuring service - would you like your mail being "really delivered", or would you like your mail to be dumped somewhere? first case result is that you - ok after a while - learn that something really has gone wrong. second case result is that you'll maybe never know.

Reading the following story reminded me why I hate Deutsche Post so much. The Royal Mail managed to deliver a letter which had only the recipient's name and a sketch map of South-West England with an arrow entitled "Somewhere here". Given that Deutsche Post sent a letter posted to me back to the sender because the PLZ was one number out, I think that we can be fairly proud of the Royal Mail and understand why New Labour are trying to run it into the ground.

Posties solve map address riddle

POSTMEN used their map-reading expertise to deliver a letter that was simply marked with a name and a drawing.

A map of Cornwall, Devon and Somerset was sketched on the envelope with a dot drawn in north Cornwall and an arrow saying "Somewhere Here".

The postal workers in Bude, north Cornwall, managed to pinpoint the right address and deliver the letter to recipient Peter O'Leary.

He said posties managed to work out from the map the intended address was in Bude and then they asked each other if anyone recognised the name Peter O'Leary.