Converting a UK driver's licence into a German one

205 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, CryptoAndBeyond said:

Guys - do we need to translate UK license (card one) from ADAC if we want to swap with German one.

No.  EU licences not.

I did the same as @NUFCrichard in September; same process: take Meldebescheinigung, picture and ID (and old expired UK license + photocard -- they were still separate in my case) to Führerscheinstelle, pay about 40 yoyos and done. I even got a temporary license so I could drive straight away (cost like 7 yoyos or so) until the real thing arrived. The German license even lists the "since" date from my UK license, so I'm not a new driver.

It was so easy, I was checking for candid cameras

As part of our preparations for exiting the EU, we intend to ratify the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

The 1968 Vienna Convention is a UN international treaty designed to facilitate international road traffic and increase road safety by establishing uniform traffic rules.

It has been signed and ratified by 75 countries. The UK signed the Convention in 1968, but is yet to ratify it. Ratification will guarantee continued access for UK driving licence holders to the EU after we depart, provided the driver holds a valid International Driving Permit (IDP) document.

IDPs are documents to facilitate domestic driving licence recognition, when travelling in another country (but not when resident). Ratifying will also guarantee the recognition of UK registered vehicles travelling outside the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/road-haulage-and-driving-in-the-eu-post-brexit/ratifying-the-1968-vienna-convention

On 2/12/2018, 11:11:28, Gwaptiva said:

I did the same as @NUFCrichard in September; same process: take Meldebescheinigung, picture and ID (and old expired UK license + photocard -- they were still separate in my case) to Führerscheinstelle, pay about 40 yoyos and done. I even got a temporary license so I could drive straight away (cost like 7 yoyos or so) until the real thing arrived. The German license even lists the "since" date from my UK license, so I'm not a new driver.

It was so easy, I was checking for candid cameras

Can you please explain in simple terms what is  Meldebescheinigung  and where to get it. I think it is different from the Anmeldung we do after moving in to Germany.

Also to get  Meldebescheinigung, can I get it in any KVR or do I need to go to the Rathaus/KVR where I first registered in Germany?

13 minutes ago, sinfony said:

@sinfony

Sure if they ratify this, people temporarily in EU will have their licence recognised.   But if moving here, have to change it to a German one like other non EU/EEA licence holders.  And the requirements for this exchange are unknown.  So many people think it is better to do it sooner rather than later.  I certainly would not want to risk having to take a test to do it.

1 hour ago, CryptoAndBeyond said:

Can you please explain in simple terms what is  Meldebescheinigung  and where to get it. I think it is different from the Anmeldung we do after moving in to Germany.

Also to get  Meldebescheinigung, can I get it in any KVR or do I need to go to the Rathaus/KVR where I first registered in Germany?

You need to go to your BuergerAmt and request this.  It is a simple piece of paper which confirms that you are registered at a specific address.  Take your passport with you when you go.

You will have to pay a small fee for this, I think 8 - 12 Euros although it might vary per town/city.

You will find that you will need this very often as a Foreigner in Germany.  It is the only way to prove your registered address.  German nationals have this on their Ausweis so don't need it.  The problem is that most companies/Amts will not accept a  Meldebescheinigung which is more than ~3 months old.  So best to get it just before you need it.

23 minutes ago, HEM said:

Hmmm - so what happens in the other direction - an EU license holder who travels to the UK either by car or hires a car there.
Will "we" need an IDP/IDL?   Answer (as with all things Brexit): Nobody knows I assume.

So they're gonna ratify a 50-year-old treaty, and opting out of bits of it.?!?! FFS! Twunts

@CryptoAndBeyond  The Meldebescheinigung is essentially a short-form extract of the population register. The one you need, though, is slightly less extract than the Meldebestätigung. Where the exact difference lies I don't know :)

I came very close to losing my UK photo licence card in a shop the other day. Made me think that I better exchange for a German licence ASAP, because I'd be a bit screwed if I lost the UK card. 

Looking at the website, it seems like its hard to get appointments before June.  https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/121598/

Do any of the Burgeramts take walk-ins? 

Will I have to surrender my UK plastic licence on the day of application?  Or can I hang on to it until I get the DE one? 

Not sure how different Berlin is to here but when I exchanged mine it was a case of walk-in.

I went to the Landratsamt, pulled a number and waited my turn.

They took my UK one (and kept it) but issued me with a form entitling me still to drive in case I was checked by the Police, I paid the few €€ and about 3 weeks later got a letter saying the German one was ready to collect.

Hmmmm, I wonder if that temp form is accepted in other countries?  I'd hate to arrive at a car hire desk and find that it wasn't accepted. Might be wiser to hold off until a non travel period. 

On 3/20/2018, 3:56:47, HEM said:

Hmmm - so what happens in the other direction - an EU license holder who travels to the UK either by car or hires a car there.
Will "we" need an IDP/IDL?   Answer (as with all things Brexit): Nobody knows I assume.

Hi @HEM. The answer to this question has nothing to do neither with the EU nor Brexit. The EU only regulates recognition of licenses of EU citizens living in other EU countries.

Touristic visits are regulated by Vienna Convention on Road Traffic 1968 (with later modifications). This convention is technically valid worldwide, although most signatories are European countries including Russia and Turkey. Most notable western countries which did not sign it are USA and Canada.

Unlike earlier Geneve Convention the Vienna Convention specifies unified design of licenses with numbered fields in Annex 6. According to Article 41 the contracting parties should recognize domestic licenses issued according to Annex 6 of this convention (all recent plastic licenses satisfy this requirement, old paper license not necessarily). 

No translation or IDP is needed for holders of licenses issued in accordance to Annex 6 Vienna convention. I am writing this as a former holder of license issued by Ukraine. Exchanged for German one without any translation required.

On 5/3/2017, 3:00:09, Krieg said:

UK licenses would probably be treated as non-EU licenses form a country that can be trusted so UK will be part of the list of countries that can do a direct swap.

So no major difference in terms of swapping it now or later. The real difference was around 2 or 3 years ago when German licenses still did not have expiration date, but now it is too late.

But if it was me I would swap it now.

Yup, sounds like a plan!

i have one of the recent previous ones with 50 year expiry, but I can’t be rucked  waiting for Brexit or nonbrexit so I’m swapping out everything.

Did I read it right, we can just bring the uk license to some office and walk out with a German license (notwithstanding any bs on my part, points etc)?

The eu is great, I had assumed thuis would involve a re test, paperwork hills etc til some colleagues told me they swapped theirs.

it doesn’t have to be one of these 10 year jobbies? Just any valid U.K.?

More or less yes, go to your local Landratsamt with your licence and hand it in. They'll give you a paper to say they have your original in case the Police stop to check you. When the new licence is ready they'll let you know and you can collect it. Job done. So it's not immediate, it takes a couple of weeks.

You have to pay up front when you hand yours in.

I had an old UK paper one which was accepted without problem but as the classes were different back then, plus the fact that my licence allowed up to 7.5 tonnes, I printed a page with full details from t'net to explain what I could drive.

They issued me with a new German card-type one including my 7.5t, no problem.

Sadly, I've recently learned that in something like 2009 the EU introduced the CPC or '95' clause on licences. Basically I now have the right to drive up to 7.5t but only privately, not as a job unless I take the CPC tests.

On 4/13/2018, 5:35:02, CustomX said:

I came very close to losing my UK photo licence card in a shop the other day. Made me think that I better exchange for a German licence ASAP, because I'd be a bit screwed if I lost the UK card. 

Looking at the website, it seems like its hard to get appointments before June.  https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/121598/

Will I have to surrender my UK plastic licence on the day of application?  Or can I hang on to it until I get the DE one? 

I have the same fear of losing my UK license and hence exchanging it soon with German one.

I have an old style UK paper license without the photo card. I recently hired a car in Greece and was told that there has been a change and next year ALL driving licenses need to have a photo card. Now I don't know if this information is correct but  I'm changing mine to a German one just in case.

On 13.4.2018, 17:35:02, CustomX said:

You need the landratsamt and where I am you don't have to make an appointment, just go into the waiting area, pull a number and wait your turn, usually anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes. The much longer queues are generally for car registrations.

Just to clarify - do I go to the landratsamt,  Mariahilfpl. 17, or to the Traffic Authorization and driving license authority, Eichstätter Str. 2, 80686 Munich?

I know it says landratsampt on the previous post, but my husband is convinced he went to Eichstatter str when he did his years ago.