Converting a UK driver's licence into a German one

205 posts in this topic

Well, having a look at Anlage 11 FeV we can note the list of non EU European countries:

Andorra - no exams;

Bosnia and Herzegovina - classes A1, A, B no exams

Guernsey - no exams

Isle of Man - no exams

Jersey - no exams

Monaco - no exams

San Marino - no exams

Switzerland - no exams

Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey are UK crown dependencies.

The licenses of above listed countries must be exchanged after 6 months in Germany, but no exams are necessary. I expect UK will be enlisted in Anlage 11, and you will be given at least 6 months time to exchange your licenses.

In other words: do not bother now, but follow the news for the next 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, VickyMunich said:

Any idea if the UK license can become invalid after the clusterfuck of brexit happens. Is it right time to swap it with German one?

1 hour ago, Allershausen said:

Nobody knows what's going to happen after Brexit, with regards to anything. Personally speaking I'd get the licence changed, but that it is just my opinion.

I agree that no one knows yet what might change after real Brexit. Tentative advice would be that if you intend to stay in Germany long term then yes, perhaps best to change your license soonest.  If you have a U.K.  card license then it has an expiration date (check elsewhere on this forum what to do with an old paper licence).  Renewal in the U.K. isn't possible (legally) without a valid official U.K. address of residence that may or may not need to be validated. I do recall many moons ago,  I had to submit utility bills as evidence of my address. 

Maybe things will change and non EU members need to take a test of some sort.  My German parents went through the pain (stress and cost) of having to take lessons and a full test to get a UK license back in the early 70's before the U.K. was in the EU. One could assume that if there's money to be made somehow then the cost of conversion is more than likely to escalate.  

At at the moment, the process of conversion is very simple, quick and low cost. 

On 31.3.2017, 11:49:28, yourkeau said:

Well, having a look at Anlage 11 FeV we can note the list of non EU European countries:

Andorra - no exams;

Bosnia and Herzegovina - classes A1, A, B no exams

Guernsey - no exams

Isle of Man - no exams

Jersey - no exams

Monaco - no exams

San Marino - no exams

Switzerland - no exams

Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey are UK crown dependencies.

The licenses of above listed countries must be exchanged after 6 months in Germany, but no exams are necessary. I expect UK will be enlisted in Anlage 11, and you will be given at least 6 months time to exchange your licenses.

In other words: do not bother now, but follow the news for the next 2-3 years.

There is some kind of confirmation of this:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/annex-recommendation-uk-eu-negotiations_3-may-2017_en.pdf

For reasons of legal certainty, the Agreement should ensure, in the United Kingdom and in the EU27, the protection, in accordance with Union law rules applicable before the withdrawal date, of recognised diplomas, certificates and other evidence of formal qualification obtained in any of the Union Member States before that date.

The Agreement should also ensure that diplomas, certificates or other evidence of formal qualification obtained in a third country and recognised in any of the UnionMember States before the withdrawal date in accordance with Union law rules applicable before that date continue to be recognised also after the withdrawal date.

It should also provide for arrangements relating to procedures for recognition which are ongoing on the withdrawal date.

One can speculate if this will be applied to driving licenses, I think, yes: any driving license obtained before final Brexit will be covered. This is, of course, not yet official.

UK licenses would probably be treated as non-EU licenses form a country that can be trusted so UK will be part of the list of countries that can do a direct swap.

So no major difference in terms of swapping it now or later. The real difference was around 2 or 3 years ago when German licenses still did not have expiration date, but now it is too late.

But if it was me I would swap it now.

I think looking at all the speculation around it and the fear of starting from the scratch I would exchange my now.

I am not sure will it have any impact on insurance. If we swap it, will the start date on new license be the same as on UK license or will it be brand new license?

If you do a swap your experience will be transfered to the new license.

But fear of having to start from scratch is unrealistic. There is the "Anlage 11" which is the list of countries that are allowed to do a direct swap, being in this list would be the most pausible outcome.

And even if not in the list, transfers are still possible but not direct, you would be required to do the tests. There is no way you have to start really from scratch.

The European Commission wants all documents issued before Brexit to be recognized also after Brexit, so be sure your license doesn't expire before 2019.

I have a couple of questions: I haven't driven in years, but would like to renew my licence now in Germany. I can't renew it in the UK, so I have to do it here.

My photocard is expired, but the licence is valid until I am 70, so in 2053, will that be a problem?

I also see online that they say that an eye sight test and first aid training are required, if that for everyone?  My eyes are fine, so it's not a big issue, just another hoop to jump through.

I had today off work and wanted to try to find out all of this information, but they don't deal with the public on Wednesdays!

11 minutes ago, NUFCrichard said:

I have a couple of questions: I haven't driven in years, but would like to renew my licence now in Germany. I can't renew it in the UK, so I have to do it here.

My photocard is expired, but the licence is valid until I am 70, so in 2053, will that be a problem?

I also see online that they say that an eye sight test and first aid training are required, if that for everyone?  My eyes are fine, so it's not a big issue, just another hoop to jump through.

I had today off work and wanted to try to find out all of this information, but they don't deal with the public on Wednesdays!

I used my old pink UK licence with old address on it, and exchanged for German licence. ( Wanted to hang on to Aussie and Canadian licences!)  No eye test or first aid training needed. This was about 6 years ago. Rules may have changed.

If you are thinking about buying a car , then your lack of driving and insurance history may cost you in high premiums.

Just now, RedMidge said:

I used my old pink UK licence with old address on it, and exchanged for German licence. ( Wanted to hang on to Aussie and Canadian licences!)  No eye test or first aid training needed. This was about 6 years ago. Rules may have changed.

If you are thinking about buying a car , then your lack of driving and insurance history may cost you in high premiums.

Paper licence before 1998 are still valid. 

Just now, snowingagain said:

Paper licence before 1998 are still valid. 

But he cannot renew the licence as he is not resident in the UK.

6 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

When did you get your licence?

I got it in year 2000 when I was 17. 

I am fine, or have to be fine about higher insurance costs if I buy a car. I'm more worried about actually driving for the first time in years when I do drive!

I guess there must be a way for me to renew somewhere, it can't be that I have to go back to (fahr)school, because my photo is expired on my non-expired licence. Or so I hope.

19 minutes ago, NUFCrichard said:

You can't 'renew' a UK license in Germany – you have to change it into a German one (and they will keep your UK license). Problem is: your license has to be valid and if your photo card is not, you need to prove that your license is. 

I also see online that they say that an eye sight test and first aid training are required, if that for everyone? 

You can see online that this is only for "Drittstaaten" not EU/EWR. 

1 hour ago, RedMidge said:

But he cannot renew the licence as he is not resident in the UK.

But a pre 1998 licence does not need renewing until one reaches 70.

31 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

But a pre 1998 licence does not need renewing until one reaches 70.

Correct, but he hasn't got that licence, he has the 2 part licence issued in 2000 where the paper part is no longer valid.

1 hour ago, someonesdaughter said:

Problem is: your license has to be valid and if your photo card is not, you need to prove that your license is.

Don't confuse him, he doesn't need to prove anything, all the details are on the back in column 9,10 and 11 with the later being the expiry date for each driver category.  His photocard may of expired but his entitlement to drive has not.

@NUFCrichard you need to make an appointment at the Führerscheinstelle to exchange your UK licence ( Umtausch in EU Kartenführerschein) for a German one, Check with them what they require in terms of paperwork as some have been known to ask for translations but this shouldn't be needed for an EU licence exchange. No further tests or medicals checks are required.

Should cost around €35.00 and you give up your UK licence on receipt of the German one, you have to collect it in person. According to their website there may also be some delays in the processing of applications due to being understaffed so don't expect a quick turnaround.

I went back to the Führerscheinstelle today as I was finished at work at 16:30 and it was open until 17:30.

I was very pessimistic that I'd be seen in so little time, but I was done in 25 minutes! They were even polite and friendly.

I had my Meldebestätigung, Passport, Biometric Photos and the filled out form from their website. It literally took 3 minutes, including having to go downstairs to pay.

Thanks for your help everyone.

On 11/16/2017, 7:11:32, NUFCrichard said:

Thanks for your help everyone.

Glad it worked out for you. Good luck when you eventually get behind the wheel, just take it easy and have a read up on driving in Germany as there some rules you will need to understand and get used to if, by the sounds of things, you have never driven in Germany before let alone for a long time.

On 11/16/2017, 1:42:43, VickyMunich said:

Do the points carry over to German license in case of swap. 

No, they're only valid in the Country of issue.