Converting a UK driver's licence into a German one

205 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, emkay said:

Love your clusterfuck term?

I agree, I did my transfer just before Brexit just in case some genious civil servant decides that any non EU license holder has to go through a full or part test. My parents had to do this in the U.K. as Germans back in the 70's.  Very traumatic and expensive for them.

It was already announced that the “clusterfuck” will take up to 10 years, so you have time to upgrade your licenses :)

Also I have doubts that in future Brits will need to pass full exams. For example, Swiss driving license (non EU, so valid only 6 months in Germany) can be exchanged without exams for German license. I think the same will apply to UK license.

Although not in Munich (Dresden), so glad I discovered this thread. 

I'd like to pick some brains please. :) My scenario: I still have a UK licence that is registered at my late Mothers old address. I was aware of not being a requirement to change over to a German licence so never bothered. My step- father moved to a different address in the same town last year and a couple of credit cards plus current account are now registered at that address. In early February, I need to return to the UK to assist my daughter in moving back from University which entails hiring a small van for a couple of days. On the paperwork, if I register my German address, but show my UK licence with an old address, could this potentially cause 'issues'? Especially with the card I plan to pay with being registered at another UK address? The other option that was suggested by a friend was just using one of the UK address's, but I'm not entirely comfortable with that. Would that be questionable from a legality angle? 

After the events of 23rd June, I've planned to exchange my licence, but as is the case so often, haven't got around to doing it. I don't have a car here so didn't have it as a priority. Something I will do after I return for the UK in February! Too late to do it before I go as I need to have a licence to show the rental people. I'm sure they wouldn't be impressed by a piece of paper in German from the Fahrerlaubnisbehörde. :unsure:

It shouldn't be a problem, I've hired cars in my name in the UK and Portugal with my UK licence and my German address.  I assume you have a German ID card?  In that case they should accept the address on the card.

Don't forget to log onto DVLA and print out the form that states what, if any driving convictions/ points you have as the car hire people need that.

14 hours ago, galloping clogs said:

It shouldn't be a problem, I've hired cars in my name in the UK and Portugal with my UK licence and my German address.  I assume you have a German ID card?  In that case they should accept the address on the card.

Don't forget to log onto DVLA and print out the form that states what, if any driving convictions/ points you have as the car hire people need that.

I don't have a German personalausweis as I'm not a citizen, just my original paperwork from the einwohnermeldeamt. I'll take that plus some krankenkase paperwork and bank statement with my German address to cover all bases. Thanks for for help. 

There is no issue renting cars in any country with a UK licence, a non UK address and a credit card registered to your non UK address, however your situation is different so I would advise to check direct with the rental company you intend to use first. They might just ask for some form of documentation to prove your current address but I certainly would not give your UK address as place of residence as that is supplying false information and could cause you a few problems.

@galloping clogs, I'm interested to know why you assume a UK citizen residing in Germany would have a German ID card?

@ Sir percy, Castra didn't say he was a UK Citizen in his post, he just said he had UK drivers licence.(and I didn't research his profile details, my bad)  

I have a German ID and a UK drivers licence, and based my answer on my own experience.

13 hours ago, galloping clogs said:

@ Sir percy, Castra didn't say he was a UK Citizen in his post, he just said he had UK drivers licence.(and I didn't research his profile details, my bad) 

Please don't ever think of applying to become a detective.

He has a licence registered at his late mothers address

Credit cards are registered at his stepfathers address

Daughter goes to UK Universtiy

Profile says his nationality is British.

I think it's safe to say that he is most probably a British.

13 hours ago, galloping clogs said:

I have a German ID and a UK drivers licence, and based my answer on my own experience.

Yes but at a guess you're not a British Citizen and based on your answer it's not very accurate given the checks that a rental company can do on UK residents. The billing address on the credit card is different to where the renter lives so this itself can raise questions as the credit card is used to secure the rental.

I have no idea but there's also a good chance that Castra has never even been registered at his step-father's address, this could also cause a problem, hence my answer of contacting them first before making any plans. Safer than to take an answer from someone whose experiences are quite different to the question being asked on an open forum.

@Sir percy: I lived with my family in the UK for 25 years.  I have a UK drivers licence and  I have a UK credit card, so just because his parents live in the UK, has a UK credit card, and a daughter that goes to a UK university does not automatically mean he is a British Citizen.

Anyway, I already mentioned previously that I based my answer on my own experience and I hadn't looked at his profile.  Since the original question was whether the OP would have problems with hiring a car with a UK drivers licence and living in another country, the answer is no, as long as he can prove his current address with a some sort of document that the hire company accepts.

Thanks @emkay

I think I will also transfer mine to German, before this clusterfuck happens. However, I just finalized a deal to purchase a used car this week and I was speculating that I can drive it and get it registered & Insured with my UK DL. I was just bit worried, if in case I need to call and verify with some German Authorities (DVLA version) or this will work by default.

Has anybody done this. Also, is the insurance expensive if we drive on UK DL.  I just have 1 year No claim from UK which I can submit here, if that helps. 

Thanks,
Vivek

I no longer drive, but last time i got checked I didn't have my licence with me and was given four days to show it at the police station. I had the old fold out one and the police officer only read as far as all vehicles ingoring the word except.  Then he said "Alles klar, Sie dürfen alles fahren!"

1 hour ago, VickyMunich said:

Thanks @emkay

I think I will also transfer mine to German, before this clusterfuck happens. However, I just finalized a deal to purchase a used car this week and I was speculating that I can drive it and get it registered & Insured with my UK DL. I was just bit worried, if in case I need to call and verify with some German Authorities (DVLA version) or this will work by default.

Has anybody done this. Also, is the insurance expensive if we drive on UK DL.  I just have 1 year No claim from UK which I can submit here, if that helps. 

Thanks,
Vivek

It might depend on insurance company. I take it you're buying a car in Germany and insuring with a German insurer.  If I recall correctly, UK insurers won't insure non residents for more than a few weeks.  Mine was something like 28 days after I arrived in Germany. Insuring here with a UK license was no problem as the card licences state EU (iirc).  You will need to prove your 1 year UK no claims...copies of many years of insurance certificates worked for me. 

Transferring to a German license does take a few weeks so might be best to sort out your insurance here first and then start the transfer process. 

Thanks @emkay

Yes I am buying a car in Germany and insuring with German insurer on UK license. I am permanently resident here now.

Yeah once everything is sorted and I am able to drive here I will convert to German License. Was only worried that after buying the car and doing the insurance and everything if I come to know that I cannot drive with UK license, but looks like thats not the case.

I am thinking to take 3-4 classes to get accustomed to traffic rules here as some of them are quite different than in UK and it will be first time I will actually drive on other side of the road.

Cheers,

Vivek

Any Idea which will be the cheapest Car Insurance and how to obtain discount with no claim certificate from UK insurance provider.

I am aware of check24.de and huk24.de

Do I need to buy ADAC memebrship also to get cheap insurance. Is it linked somehow?

Thanks

Vivek

6 minutes ago, VickyMunich said:

Thanks @emkay

Yes I am buying a car in Germany and insuring with German insurer on UK license. I am permanently resident here now.

Yeah once everything is sorted and I am able to drive here I will convert to German License. Was only worried that after buying the car and doing the insurance and everything if I come to know that I cannot drive with UK license, but looks like thats not the case.

I am thinking to take 3-4 classes to get accustomed to traffic rules here as some of them are quite different than in UK and it will be first time I will actually drive on other side of the road.

Cheers,

Vivek

Driving an automatic car certainly helps get used to driving left.  I did manage to drive my husband's older manual LHD car a few years ago though it wasn't easy.. Thankfully he too has converted to automatic.  

I never had any problems switching from RHD to LHD, the thing that sometimes still confuses me is crossing the road as a pedestrian. I usually look the wrong way for the first few days when I go to a country where they drive on the other side of the road.

20 minutes ago, VickyMunich said:

Any Idea which will be the cheapest Car Insurance and how to obtain discount with no claim certificate from UK insurance provider.

I am aware of check24.de and huk24.de

Do I need to buy ADAC memebrship also to get cheap insurance. Is it linked somehow?

Thanks

Vivek

Who was your UK insurance provider?  Ie, I used an online quote from directline.de to get a discount from our existing German insurer DEVK.  I just asked them to match DL's quote and they did, and refunded us an amount from the previous year.  Just asking works wonders sometimes in Germany.  

I don't think that ADAC membership offered much of anything by way of insurance discount.  Maybe other TTers know otherwise.

When I was in the UK, insurance websites were quite easy to understand though here, it's quite a bit more complicated...several different Vollkasko and Teilkasko options. Best to call any insurer direct.  

In UK I had it with clements worldwide. I will check if they can provide in Germany also. Will check directline also as they were one of the popular ones in UK.

In UK everything was simple, be it banking, insurance, personal loan, credit card doing shopping from 24 hour stores like Tesco, Asda etc. There are few more points, but lets focus on driving license only on this post :D

Here PAPER is the GoD and everything needs to be done on Paper or by visiting post office or branch and the language further increases the complexity :D 

Cheers,

Vivek

Any idea if the UK license can become invalid after the clusterfuck of brexit happens. Is it right time to swap it with German one?

Nobody knows what's going to happen after Brexit, with regards to anything. Personally speaking I'd get the licence changed, but that it is just my opinion.