Converting a UK driver's licence into a German one

205 posts in this topic

Malt-Teaser won this thread.

For the reference the law about license recognition is 2006/126/EC

1.   Driving licences issued by Member States shall be mutually recognised.

2.   When the holder of a valid national driving licence without the administrative validity period set out in Article 7(2) takes up normal residence in a Member State other than that which issued the driving licence, the host Member State may apply to the licence the administrative validity periods set out in that Article by renewing the driving licence, as from 2 years after the date on which the holder has taken up normal residence on its territory.

This law also says that Germany can apply 15 year validity limitation to unlimited paper UK licenses.

4 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

I would of asked a proper police force like the Met.

Are the reds for the comment or the particularly bad use of English ?

I've been following this thread for a long time, and it's certainly helped improve my understanding of the various requirements regarding driving here in Germany.

As a UK national living here full time, I think I'd like to exchange my UK photocard licence to a German one, but wasn't sure where I need to go. I live in Frankfurt, and a quick internet search suggests the right place is "Rund ums Auto - Hotline Führerscheinstelle, Ordnungsamt, Am Römerhof 19, 60486 Frankfurt am Main", but can anyone confirm that that's correct?

Also, aside from my UK licence, and passport, what else do I need to take?

Best to just ring your local gemeine and ask them where you should go.  Someone once mentioned that some Gemeinde do it themselves though I don't know if that's true. 

You'd definitely need  two psychometric photos. Again, your Gemeinde can tell you where's closest. We had to go to a photo shop though they were set up to do them immediately.  You might need an appointment.  I think it cost around twelve euros . Best to contact wherever you go to to check what else to take as your passport might not be sufficient as it doesn't show your address.  The license exchange costs around forty euros that can be paid by EC card at a machine, credit card unlikely.  I'd suggest you copy your old card license before surrendering it...just in case. You only need to surrender once you collect your new license.  

Good luck. 

When I had mine converted it was an old paper one from the 70's and the classes were certainly different to the current German classes so I printed out a document from t'net explaining what the English classes meant and gave that to my local Landratsamt. I wanted to make sure that I kept the 7.5 tonne class which is no longer standard on the German licence.

Thanks for the help, emkay!

Looks like the place I mentioned earlier is the correct one, the so-called Führerscheinstelle. Anyway, now I know more or less what to take, I wanted to ask my follow-up question which might complicate things somewhat.

I haven't been resident in the UK since around 2006, eventually settling in Germany. My UK licence still has my UK address on the card itself as is the norm, and the address is still the family home. Anyway, about half a year ago I modified my surname via UK Deed Poll, then proceeded to update pretty much all my personal documentation (passport, bank accounts, etc.). However, UK driving licence stayed as-is as the DVLA confirmed that this cannot be done while I'm not resident in the UK.

So, my question is, does anyone know whether this is likely to pose a problem when I go to the Führerscheinstelle? My passport, Deed Poll, and the recent Aufentshaltsbescheinigung issued from the Bürgeramt, all carry my modified surname. It's only the UK driving licence with the old one.

Based on the experience of everyone here, have such discrepancies ever caused anyone any trouble? I plan to enlist the help of a friend to explain the situation to the people at the Führerscheinstelle over the phone, but was wondering if anyone had any insight to share in the meantime.

Honest answer .... don't know but if all that paperwork is only in English don't be surprised if you have to get it officially translated by a certified tranlator, maybe.

Hi Malt-Teaser.

Yeah, I considered that too. Obviously, the passport and UK driving licence are probably (hopefully?) okay as they are, as is the Aufentshaltsbescheinigung document (which is already in German). I imagine the sticking point might be the deed poll certificate. Funnily enough, I used it to update all my other paperwork here in Germany, and not one single entity asked for it to be translated. This includes banks, post office, Bürgeramt, and so on. Still, if that's what it takes, I'll happily get it translated...assuming I can find a certified translator in the area. Anyone know of one?!

Firstly try without a translation, if all those others accepted it maybe they will too. The worst that can happen is they want something else doing and you'll have to jump through their hoop(s).

Bit of an update.

So, I called the number for the Führerscheinstelle and it turned out that it was at least the right place! Spoke for a little to one of the staff, who basically confimed that I'd need my UK licence, my passport, proof of my residency in Germany, two photos and proof of my name change. Regarding the proof, I told him I had a deed poll document (which he just took to mean a document in English showing the old/new names), and his response was that it wouldn't need translating as they'd just take a copy of the original together with the general paperwork for the exchange. Furthermore, the German licence would then carry the amended name.

That's when things got a bit odd, as he went on to tell me that I really didn't need to exchange the licence for a German one if I didn't want to. He claimed that the UK one was perfectly fine, and could be used hee in Germany, legally, until it expired. I questioned this but he re-confirmed that that was the case.

So there you go. Based on his last point, my UK licence seems fine (but for the name discrepancy), but I'm wondering how reliable his information was...

Hi All,
This is my first post in TT. I registered on TT many times before and always used to get an email saying that the account needs to be approved and an email will be sent once it is done. I never got the email and tried my luck for more that 6 months, in vain. I was literally pissed of without any hope of making it, but then finally Santa showed some mercy on me and my TT Account is active :)

I am an Indian who move to Munich in Aug last year. I lived in UK for 5 years, before coming to Germany. I know some of you might call this a brave move :D

Coming to the point. I have a British D.L. which I know is valid for me to drive in Germany, but since I might not go back to U.K. at-least not in near future, I am thinking to exchange my D.L. with German one.

I have read lot of threads on TT regarding this and below is my understanding: (Please correct me if I have missed something)

- Go to the local Führerscheinstelle with the UK license (For Munich I can go to  Eichstätter Straße 2, 80686 München)

- Pay 35€, hand over UK license, Passport photos, Certificate of registration in Germany

- Wait 4 weeks

- Receive German driving license

Only doubt I have as some people have mentioned:

1. Do I need to get the U.K. license translated via ADAC. I believe No, since UK License has the EU Flag and is valid in EU.

2. Is is true that this needs to be done within first six months of arrival in Germany and should not be possible now.
3. Has anybody done this in Munich. Is it wise to walk-in there or better to take an appointment as on their website they have mentioned that (
 Dienstag nur mit Termin). I went once last week around 8:00 in the morning and there was a big queue and I just came back.
4. Lastly, Can we do this without possessing any German Skills :D 

I am more worried about point 2 above!

Thanks to All TTer's in advance and Merry Christmas to all of you :)

Vicky

18 minutes ago, VickyMunich said:

Hi All,
This is my first post in TT. I registered on TT many times before and always used to get an email saying that the account needs to be approved and an email will be sent once it is done. I never got the email and tried my luck for more that 6 months, in vain. I was literally pissed of without any hope of making it, but then finally Santa showed some mercy on me and my TT Account is active :)

I am an Indian who move to Munich in Aug last year. I lived in UK for 5 years, before coming to Germany. I know some of you might call this a brave move :D

Coming to the point. I have a British D.L. which I know is valid for me to drive in Germany, but since I might not go back to U.K. at-least not in near future, I am thinking to exchange my D.L. with German one.

I have read lot of threads on TT regarding this and below is my understanding: (Please correct me if I have missed something)

- Go to the local Führerscheinstelle with the UK license (For Munich I can go to  Eichstätter Straße 2, 80686 München)

- Pay 35€, hand over UK license, Passport photos, Certificate of registration in Germany

- Wait 4 weeks

- Receive German driving license

Only doubt I have as some people have mentioned:

1. Do I need to get the U.K. license translated via ADAC. I believe No, since UK License has the EU Flag and is valid in EU.

2. Is is true that this needs to be done within first six months of arrival in Germany and should not be possible now.
3. Has anybody done this in Munich. Is it wise to walk-in there or better to take an appointment as on their website they have mentioned that (
 Dienstag nur mit Termin). I went once last week around 8:00 in the morning and there was a big queue and I just came back.
4. Lastly, Can we do this without possessing any German Skills :D 

I am more worried about point 2 above!

Thanks to All TTer's in advance and Merry Christmas to all of you :)

Vicky

Dear Vicky, yes, your process assessment is about right.  I can't say if it's any different in Bayern.

I would doubt you'd need your UK license translated, I didn't need to.

As I understood matters, you would have to have driven in Germany for AT LEAST six months before applying to change - NOT WITHIN 6 months. Mine was done 4 years after I arrrived here...no questions asked.

Best phoning them first to ask if you can have an English speaking appointment.  If not, take a German speaker with you. The German speaking person going with you is likely to be able to figure out if you can jump the big queue. When we went this year, the big queue was for general car registrations.  We went directly to the reception point and were immediately given a ticket and waited less than half an hour.  Again, phoning first to find out what the process is would be best.  

Good luck, it's not so difficult. 

Hi Vicky

I can answer 1 and 2.

1) No

2) No

It's an easy process. The level of difficulty depends only on the beamter you end up dealing with.

The only other thing I would question is whether it is worth it. I am assuming your license is at maximum 5 years old, and therefore the photo ID is valid for at least another 5 years. Having said that, the whole Brexit clusterfuck could potentially throw a spanner in the works, so it might be worth getting it done now.

ETA, what emkay said

Hi Vicky,

1. Your license is valid in Germany until it expires.

2. It should be replaced for German license before it expires.

So, no hurry. If your license expires in June 2019, apply for new German license in April 2019 (two months for printing it, just in case there will be any delays, otherwise you can apply even 1 day before expiration date).

No translation thanks to unified EU/Vienna design.

Thank you very much guys. My license is valid till 2023 as I made it in 2013. So looks like I have enough time, but the only reason I thought of replacing it, in case I loose it in Germany it would be difficult to make it from UK again as I read on some other threads.

One more point I am not sure if anybody is aware. I drove in UK with this license for 2 years without any traffic violations and I was bit unlucky as during my last three days in UK I was going from Leeds to Manchester and there was a average speed limit of 50 miles and somehow I was driving at 57 (I don't know how) and I got a ticket saying 100 pounds fine and 3 points on my license. There was an option to attend a driving course , but since I left UK, the option was not there.

Now I was just wondering, If I exchange it with German License will I get these 3 points carried over from the UK DL. Do the German (DVLA) know this or contact the UK counterparts.

Thanks once again guys. This is a wonderful community to get any information and one of the things I read daily as a habit, I don't know why :)

Cheers,
Vicky

To renew your Uk licence you need to be resident in the UK, with A UK address.

changing over to a German licence was very easy to do.

Currently, if you then return to the UK to live, then you can exchange the German one for your UK licence.

However, as mentioned, we do not know how Brexit will affect these issues.

18 minutes ago, VickyMunich said:

Do the German (DVLA) know this or contact the UK counterparts.

Points/driving bans do not cross borders.

Fines can cross the border if you don't pay them, but not points. And in Germany you do not get any points for exceeding speed limit over 20 kmh outside city limits. That is 30 euro fine and that's it. Points in Germany start from 21 kmh.

Thansk @Yourkeau,
Yeah. Its quite cool in Germany in that sense. In UK 100 GBP fine and 3 points for an offence of 7 mph is bit exaggerated, but anyways offence is an offence and It was not intentional.

Looks like all my doubts have been clarified now :)

Cheers,
Vicky

58 minutes ago, theGman said:

Having said that, the whole Brexit clusterfuck could potentially throw a spanner in the works, so it might be worth getting it done now.

ETA, what emkay said

Love your clusterfuck term?

I agree, I did my transfer just before Brexit just in case some genious civil servant decides that any non EU license holder has to go through a full or part test. My parents had to do this in the U.K. as Germans back in the 70's.  Very traumatic and expensive for them.