Converting a UK driver's licence into a German one

205 posts in this topic

You can drive here for unlimited time on a UK licence so in that respect no.

But (there's almost always a 'but') do you still have a UK address?

DVLA (or whatever they're called now) will only issue a new one to a UK address which you must have had to get your current one and UK law states that your address on / against your licence must be valid to reach you.

Do you still own or have family at that address?

In case you fall foul of UK Police don't go back and drive your car or a hire car if the answer to above is no.

43 minutes ago, CustomX said:

is there any compelling reason why I should exchange the UK licence for a German one right now?   

No.

18 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

DVLA (or whatever they're called now) will only issue a new one to a UK address which you must have had to get your current one and UK law states that your address on / against your licence must be valid to reach you.

CustomX can get a German license anytime before UK license expiration, applying sometime in 2021 makes sense. I also suppose that that UK law doesn't apply to expats, does it?

Hi Malt-Teaser. Thanks for the info. Very useful. No its an old rental addres. Don't live there anymore. 

So in theory I could get a replacement sent to my sister's London address? 

Sounds like it might just be sensible to convert to a German one.  

Just now, yourkeau said:

No.

CustomX can get a German license anytime before UK license expiration, applying sometime in 2021 makes sense. I also suppose that that UK law doesn't apply to expats, does it?

I do go back to the UK and I do need to be able to drive when I'm there. 

Just so I'm clear, Malt-Teaser; are you saying that because I'm no longer at my old address, my UK licence is basically invalid?  If so, then I guess it must be equally invalid outside of the UK. Right? 

I dont think you can get it sent to your sisters adress..

You need to be able to show proof that you live at that adress... Bank statement, Council tax letters etc etc...

Falsifying the info is costly if you get caught!

3 minutes ago, CustomX said:

I do go back to the UK and I do need to be able to drive when I'm there. 

Your German license is valid in the UK as well and it expires in 15 years. I don't see any reason why you don't want it.

However, in 2021 the Brexit will be complete and you will know if the license agreement remains (my assumption: yes).

I dont think it becomes "Invalid" but you do leave yourself open to prossecution if caught...    

CustomX it's not invalid, it's just illegal. I guess you are registered here so if you get any Flensburg points you give them your UK licence No. and they put points against that and you at your German address.

If you get pulled in the UK they could ask where you live .. etc .... it's illegal not to have your current address on or against your licence and DVLA won't issue a new one unless you have a UK address.

Can you use your sister's address?

Once many moons ago that was a possibility, but now ... I don't know ... see SP's post above.

2 hours ago, Malt-Teaser said:

You can drive here for unlimited time on a UK licence so in that respect no.

But (there's almost always a 'but') do you still have a UK address?

Do you still own or have family at that address?

In case you fall foul of UK Police don't go back and drive your car or a hire car if the answer to above is no.

Unlimited time, address valid to reach you and as for the address, what planet did you fall from.

Don't go back and drive or hire a car, what total and utter bollocks.

1 hour ago, Malt-Teaser said:

CustomX it's not invalid, it's just illegal. I guess you are registered here so if you get any Flensburg points you give them your UK licence No. and they put points against that and you at your German address.

If you get pulled in the UK they could ask where you live .. etc ... it's illegal not to have your current address on or against your licence and DVLA won't issue a new one unless you have a UK address.

Can you use your sister's address?

Once many moons ago that was a possibility, but now ... I don't know ... see SP's post above.

You have got absolutely no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

As CustomX has mentioned he has a valid UK licence that expires in 2022. Note the word 'valid' that means he is entitled to drive until his licence expires in 2022 and live anywhere in the EU and still drive.

As for getting pulled over in the UK, what utter fucking nonsense.

The only question that cannot be answered is what happens after Brexit.

If CustomX wants to replace his licence then that is totally upto him but his is not breaking any laws what so ever by not doing so..That would only change if he were to return to the UK, then he must notify DVLA of his new address.

15 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

Unlimited time, address valid to reach you and as for the address, what planet did you fall from.

Don't go back and drive or hire a car, what total and utter bollocks.

Apropos bollocks - click the link yourkeau provided and read:

"You can be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA when your address changes

(...)

If you’re moving abroad

You can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. Contact the driving licence authority in your new country of residence."

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

I obviously come from a different planet to you Sir Percy.

Exactly why I differentiated between invalid and illegal.

He can probably drive with it outside the UK with no problems, it is a valid driving licence but if he gets pulled over in the UK and his address is checked then as others have shown he can be fined up to 1000GBP for not notifying DVLA of a new address. It doesn't make the licence invalid, just liable to a possibly large fine.

Fact.

May your bollocks be with you.

21 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

I obviously come from a different planet to you Sir Percy.

Exactly why I differentiated between invalid and illegal.

He can probably drive with it outside the UK with no problems, it is a valid driving licence but if he gets pulled over in the UK and his address is checked then as others have shown he can be fined up to 1000GBP for not notifying DVLA of a new address. It doesn't make the licence invalid, just liable to a possibly large fine.

Fact.

May your bollocks be with you.

Again total bollocks, I rent cars nearly every month in the UK using my German Credit card, german address and guess what a UK license and it is perfectly legal to do so. In addition, I must of been stopped at least 3 times in various parts of the UK and the police have no issues with the fact I live in another country and I am not breaking any laws. Fact.

Lets make it very simple for both you and @someonesdaughter who obviously do not understand the link that Yourkeau posted above.

If you move abroad you will no longer be a resident in the UK so you cannot change the address on your license, you must contact the german authorities. German authorities will tell you that you are entiltled to drive in Germany with UK license until it expires, before it expires and if you are still a German resident you must exchange it for a German license. Fact.

Validity of driving licence

Note: A german license doesn't even have an adresss.

But when you apply for a UK drivers licence you agree that giving false info is an offence...

You are obliged to inform the DVLA of any change of circumstance...

I have an application form in front of me and as an ex-DOT approved training instructor.. I do know a little...

IMG_20161024_151132.jpg

6 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

But when you apply for a UK drivers licence you agree that giving false info is an offence...

You are obliged to inform the DVLA of any change of circumstance...

I have an application form in front of me and as an ex-DOT approved training instructor.. I do know a little...

But can you read, look at the declaration, 'I declare that I am a resident in the UK.'

CustomX like myself are no longer residents, as the link says from yourkeau if you move abroad, 'You can’t register your new address on your British driving licence'. You are only obliged to inform the DVLA if you are resident in the UK this does not apply to us.

Is that you YL6?

In Germany only car owners are obliged to notify Kfz-Zulassung about change of address. If you do not own a car, you have no obligation towards German driving license authority, which makes the UK DVLA obligation obsolete as Sir Percy B points out.

What I don't understand is how do you prove you're no longer a UK resident if pulled over. Do the cops have access to border crossing records?