Converting a UK driver's licence into a German one

205 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2016, 9:06:03, emkay said:

Just to add here...I've recently had my UK license converted to a German one.  I know that my UK license was perfectly valid though I didn't want to raise any questions should I be stopped by the police.  There are often control checks around here. Another factor was that my UK license was a new card license which has an expiry date. Renewals have to be to a UK address and I'd have to be an official UK resident which I no longer am. Also, who knows, if the UK really do exit the EU, the whole process could be more difficult especially if Germany were to introduce some kind of test. I remember my German parents having to go through an entire UK driving test in the 70's despite them being German license holders. 

The process was really easy. Check with your local gemeinde as apparently some do it themselves.  If not, they will advise which Führerscheinstelle to go to.  Take official passport photos, old license, ID or passport and fill in a form. Cost about 35€. I could keep my old license until the new one was collected after 4 weeks. I took copies of my old license just in case.

I just did mine yesterday, but apart from old license, ID or passport, I was asked to bring a translated copy (Übersetzung) of the old license. (I have an UK old paper license) You can get this in the ADAC shop nearby for €55 (or free if you are already member of the ADAC).. 

7 minutes ago, ronch said:

I just did mine yesterday, but apart from old license, ID or passport, I was asked to bring a translated copy (Übersetzung) of the old license. (I have an UK old paper license) You can get this in the ADAC shop nearby for €55 (or free if you are already member of the ADAC).. 

Good advice ronch.  I would also add that as Brexit did happen, perhaps best to change to a DE license soonest if you intend to stay in Germany otherwise, as time goes on, it could be more difficult. Plus, apparently, if you are not resident at the address stated on a UK license, it's not valid at all. No overseas addresses are accepted by the DVLC.  Don't forget that the card UK licenses have an expiry date.  

OH has just swapped his with no problem, because of the photo renewal and no UK address. Was completely painless, just brought license, correct photos, passport, fee and, n.b. an up to date Meldebestätigung (i.e. less than 3 months old.) 

His old license was due to expire before the new one would arrive, so they issued him with a temporary one at an extra cost of 15€, or he could have had the new one express-tracked for an extra 30.

I'm still carrying my ancient paper one, which looks like an historic document by now ...  Wonder will the legality of this be another Brexit casualty?

25 minutes ago, ronch said:

I did mine a few weeks ago and i must say that the process was really easy to do . 

The cost was 38 Euros and this was so easy and pain free. 

AAARRGHH!

Inspired by hubby's success in exchanging his UK licence painlessly, see above, I decided to go for it myself. On taking out my ancient licence from its plastic cover for the first time in years, it promptly fell into 4 bits. (The pieces are legible!) The clerk was aghast and informed me sternly that it's no longer a valid document and she was doubtful that the exchange will be allowed. She agreed to making the application anyway at my own risk.

If it's not accepted, am I completely caught up in the no-UK-address-no-replacement double bind? The DVLC site has no info on this and their email contact form only puts you through the same loops and doesn't allow a tailor made question to be submitted. The telephone numbers also just make you respond to preset questions from a robot ... I don't have any possible address to apply from and don't want to go down any shady routes in that respect.

Any ideas about who to write to directly if the worse happens?

@Feierabend, I bet it will be fine. Just the clerk looking for an excuse to be stern.

Try this to find landline numbers.  Half way down the first page, there are a number of local offices. I phoned the Nottingham number last year re a license issue and spoke to a person, who did help. Swansea numbers are at the end in the unverified section.  Unverified are usually fine. http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php

Did you have to leave your license with them? Wouldn't have thought you would have to so as the application has happened, you really should be ok. I just had to surrender my UK license when the new one was collected. Might be different where you are.  Do copy yours before surrender.  

On 6/29/2016, 1:47:00, ronch said:

Oh damn - I wish I had known this last week. I am a fully paid up member of the ADAC but just paid a Translator to do it :-(

3 hours ago, emkay said:

@Feierabend, I bet it will be fine. Just the clerk looking for an excuse to be stern.

Try this to find landline numbers.  Half way down the first page, there are a number of local offices. I phoned the Nottingham number last year re a license issue and spoke to a person, who did help. Swansea numbers are at the end in the unverified section.  Unverified are usually fine. http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php

Did you have to leave your license with them? Wouldn't have thought you would have to so as the application has happened, you really should be ok. I just had to surrender my UK license when the new one was collected. Might be different where you are.  Do copy yours before surrender.  

Thank you very much emkay. Have noted the alternative numbers and hope I won't need them!

Yes, she gave me back my licence and said to phone back in 4 weeks. Fingers crossed! I'll report back when I know.

@Feierabend, that sounds like a positive. I remember when I applied, I was asked to leave the room briefly whilst they checkout my UK license with the DVLA.  I'm sure you checked out fine no matter what the state of your license is :)

On ‎24‎.‎06‎.‎2010‎ ‎23‎:‎02‎:‎56, Guest said:

I doubt this Ecuadorian license will ever get converted to a German one. Weird. Check out his date of birth. I wonder where "daddy" was in September 1940...

post-50477-12774132572025_thumb.jpg

Brilliant!

(Whoever negged you above has no humour.  So I gave you a snotty [greenie].)

Just been to do the Umschreibung. One thing I had not reckoned with is that I would have to give up my UK licence. The employwe told me at the end then when I collected my new DE DL then I would have to give in my old one. Is this correct?

2 hours ago, The_Smoking_Dog said:

Just been to do the Umschreibung. One thing I had not reckoned with is that I would have to give up my UK licence. The employwe told me at the end then when I collected my new DE DL then I would have to give in my old one. Is this correct?

Yes, this is correct. However, if you return to UK to live, you can get your UK licence back.  It works both ways. Partner changed his German licence  for UK one years ago,, then on returning to Germany a few years ago, was able to get his German licence back.

( Make a copy of your UK licence, so you have the reference number)

On 22/07/2016, 00:38:45, Feierabend said:

On taking out my ancient licence from its plastic cover for the first time in years, it promptly fell into 4 bits. (The pieces are legible!) The clerk was aghast and informed me sternly that it's no longer a valid document and she was doubtful that the exchange will be allowed. 

Glad you got it sorted out but had I seen this earlier I would of reassured you that you would not of had a problem.

The clerk that told you that your licence was invalid was actually mistaken and very wrong.

By your description I'm assuming you had the old paper licence issued prior to 1998, these are indeed valid until the holders 70 birthday, your personal details change or 2035 when they will have to be exchanged.

What the clerk was referring to was the counterpart paper licences issued alongside a photocard post 1998, these are the ones that are no longer valid, as of 8 June 2015 they could be discarded.

So just to make it very clear if you hold a paper UK licence issued before 1998, this will mean you have never applied or held a photocard licence, then your paper licence is 100% valid, do not under any circumstances throw it away. 

Hi Sir Percy!

She was not actually saying that it wasn't valid per se, but that it might not be acceptable because it was a damaged document. I have a printed explanation in German that I found years ago explaining the legality of the license for those of us no longer resident in the UK.

(I just checked the DVLA and they also state that damaged licenses must be replaced.)

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Feierabend said:

Hi Sir Percy!

She was not actually saying that it wasn't valid per se, 

Well I must of misintepreted your first post but the information I posted may still be useful for other readers.

On 22/07/2016, 00:38:45, Feierabend said:

The clerk was aghast and informed me sternly that it's no longer a valid document

My modern credit card style UK licence expires in 2022.

Aside from the "brexit might complicate things" argument, is there any compelling reason why I should exchange the UK licence for a German one right now?