Converting a UK driver's licence into a German one

205 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of "losing" my licence like this as I don't want to be without my licence for 4 weeks. Anyone else had any luck with it? What do I need to ask for from the DVLA?

Only reason I'm doing it is that the UK licence is now set to the address of a place I used to rent that now has total strangers in it, so if I really do lose it I'd guess I'll have to go through all this anyway.

What do you mean "losing" your licence? The German one takes 4 weeks to prepare. You still have your original licence during this time. You simply hand it in when the new one is ready to collect.

might be different in Munich, but here they took mine and gave me a letter that showed I had handed my old UK license in and what groups it was valid for.

Actually, when I swapped mine over, they took my license when I applied. However, they gave me a slip of paper that I could show to the police if I needed, and I was still able to drive during this time.

I also don't know what this guys is talking about in regards to "losing" it.

Same here, took my UK one off me and gave me an official slip of paper confirming my right to drive. Collected new German licence a couple of weeks later (complete with no entitlement to drive a minibus privately). Would probably be a problem driving abroad during that time, though, and certainly hiring a car.

Not sure if this is any use, but I lost my UK licence a few years ago, since I moved here. I wrote to Swansea and they sent me a print-out of the relevant groups. I took this ( without a translation ) to the office mentioned above by OG, with my passport and a couple of passport photos, and a coüple of weeks later had a new german licance.

So, would it be safe to assume I can convert my UK licence with only the photocard and a photocopy of the paper counterpart (lost the original) without too much fuss? It seems like more hassle to get a new (UK) one addressed to my Mum's house then posted here - as we're staying, might as well get a German one.

Also, I live outside the Munich municipality - can I also assume that the appropriate drivers licensing office (as referenced by OG) would be part of the Landratsamt offices (in my case Fürstenfeldbruck)? I've searched their website with limited success, but if it is definitely the right place to go i'll take a trip out and ask around when I get there.

Also, I live outside the Munich municipality - can I also assume that the appropriate drivers licensing office (as referenced by OG) would be part of the Landratsamt offices (in my case Fürstenfeldbruck)?

Führerscheinstelle - Germany-wide driving licence offices

Landratsamt Fürstenfeldbruck

Fahrerlaubnisbehörde Rudolf-Diesel-Ring 1

82256 Fürstenfeldbruck Fon 08141/ 519-799; -227; -229

Fax 08141/ 519-846

E-Mail: poststelle@lra-ffb.de

Thanks, Guy, for that link. Useful info - I'll get myself down to the relevant office then.

In response to Tim (or anyone else wondering why I'm bothering) - I understand that a UK photocard licence is technically not valid (at least, not in the UK) without the accompanying (original) paper conterpart section, which I have lost. Also, if I go to the UK and want to hire a car, I am likely to have trouble/be denied from doing so without this pesky bit of paper. To get a replacement for the counterpart section I was told by the DVLA that I would have to go through the whole palava of applying for a completely new replacement licence from DVLA (as I also need to give an alternative UK address). So, it seems that trotting down to the local Landratsamt with some photos, passport and my photocard licence will be much less hassle than dealing with DVLA. If I do go for this option, I will post back here with the outcome.

[Reverted topic title, as in certain circumstances it is necessary to exchange a UK licence for a German one.]

If your UK credit card type licence is about to expire (which they do every 10 years) then it is an offence not to get a new one. In the uk the fine is £1000. You get no reminder. So if you live in Germany and your UK licence is due to expire, id recommend getting it exchanged for a German one, as i dont believe you can apply for a new UK licence if you have no UK address.

Cheers

An offence not to get a new one? I doubt it. It'll be an offence to drive without one, but simply not renewing (and not driving) can't be an offence... source please.

So if you live in Germany and your UK licence is due to expire, id recommend getting it exchanged for a German one, as i dont believe you can apply for a new UK licence if you have no UK address.

Yes but all you have to do is fill out a form from the DVLA website and send it to them, and they'll send back an official letter saying you're entitled to a UK driver's licence. Take that official letter to the German licencing people and they'll give you a German driver's licence, no tests and no questions asked.

This is how it worked when I lost my UK licence (ie. lost the actual credit card-like thing), should be the same if you need to renew.

And the German ones never expire :D

Yes but all you have to do is fill out a form from the DVLA website and send it to them, and they'll send back an official letter saying you're entitled to a UK driver's licence. Take that official letter to the German licencing people and they'll give you a German driver's licence, no tests and no questions asked.

This is how it worked when I lost my UK licence (ie. lost the actual credit card-like thing), should be the same if you need to renew.

And the German ones never expire

If you need a new one just phone with your credit card details cost 18 pound beter off on a uk licence than german one

I doubt this Ecuadorian license will ever get converted to a German one. Weird. Check out his date of birth. I wonder where "daddy" was in September 1940...

post-50477-12774132572025_thumb.jpg

If you need a new one just phone with your credit card details cost 18 pound beter off on a uk licence than german one

When I did that they told me they couldn't issue me one as I didn't live in the UK anymore. They sent me an official document saying I was entitled to a drivers licence and the Germans turned that into a German licence, no problems.

Nonetheless, Austrian police have at times wholly ignored these directives under threat of jailing for 24 hours. Whether this is still the case, I do not know. Let's face it, Germany was still demanding EU citizens get a resident permit in the late Nineties, even though the EU and abolished that concept in the early Nineties.

I have lived in Germany since 2001 and have driven British and Germany plated cars throughout D/A/CH, Italy and France. The British car didn't have a GB sticker (just a union flag) and the German cars have always just had the D on the registration plate. I drive into and through Austria regularly. I've had my car checked over by Austrian police.. I have never been admonished for my lack of sticker.

Just to add here...I've recently had my UK license converted to a German one.  I know that my UK license was perfectly valid though I didn't want to raise any questions should I be stopped by the police.  There are often control checks around here. Another factor was that my UK license was a new card license which has an expiry date. Renewals have to be to a UK address and I'd have to be an official UK resident which I no longer am. Also, who knows, if the UK really do exit the EU, the whole process could be more difficult especially if Germany were to introduce some kind of test. I remember my German parents having to go through an entire UK driving test in the 70's despite them being German license holders. 

The process was really easy. Check with your local gemeinde as apparently some do it themselves.  If not, they will advise which Führerscheinstelle to go to.  Take official passport photos, old license, ID or passport and fill in a form. Cost about 35€. I could keep my old license until the new one was collected after 4 weeks. I took copies of my old license just in case.