Converting a UK driver's licence into a German one

205 posts in this topic

Is driving class B the equivalent of the bog standard UK driving licence?    I have applied to exchange my licence to German.  I rang them up and asked if I needed a translation as I have a rather battered green paper licence from the 1970s.  They said no, its fine as long as legible.  However they have now written asking me what class of licence I want.  LIke, do I get to choose??

25 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Is driving class B the equivalent of the bog standard UK driving licence?    I have applied to exchange my licence to German.  I rang them up and asked if I needed a translation as I have a rather battered green paper licence from the 1970s.  They said no, its fine as long as legible.  However they have now written asking me what class of licence I want.  LIke, do I get to choose??

Yes, Class B is the car/van driving class. If you have a licence from the 70's then chances are it also allows you to drive 7.5t trucks, buses, etc. This was the case with my licence from the late 80's, which I swapped in a couple of weeks ago. I was told that if I wanted to be able to drive the large vehicles then I would need a health certificate from a Dr but as I am only interested in driving a car/van, I didn't bother with it. My DE driving licence arrived and I have Class A (moped), B (car/van), BE (car with trailer) and L (tractor!?!?!).

They didn't bother taking my UK licence off me either as it's still valid until 2023 and has the additional driving classes on it and I was told not to keep both licences in my wallet as this could cause problems with the Police but I could use my UK licence in the UK if I needed to drive one of the additional classes that isn't on my DE licence but needed to use my DE licence in mainland Europe.

On 1.11.2016, 17:10:50, djandy said:

Thanks for the help, emkay!

Looks like the place I mentioned earlier is the correct one, the so-called Führerscheinstelle. Anyway, now I know more or less what to take, I wanted to ask my follow-up question which might complicate things somewhat.

I haven't been resident in the UK since around 2006, eventually settling in Germany. My UK licence still has my UK address on the card itself as is the norm, and the address is still the family home. Anyway, about half a year ago I modified my surname via UK Deed Poll, then proceeded to update pretty much all my personal documentation (passport, bank accounts, etc.). However, UK driving licence stayed as-is as the DVLA confirmed that this cannot be done while I'm not resident in the UK.

So, my question is, does anyone know whether this is likely to pose a problem when I go to the Führerscheinstelle? My passport, Deed Poll, and the recent Aufentshaltsbescheinigung issued from the Bürgeramt, all carry my modified surname. It's only the UK driving licence with the old one.

Based on the experience of everyone here, have such discrepancies ever caused anyone any trouble? I plan to enlist the help of a friend to explain the situation to the people at the Führerscheinstelle over the phone, but was wondering if anyone had any insight to share in the meantime.

Thats exactly my problem! Years ago changed my surname by Deedpoll but kept my birth surname as my middle name . (Both names are on my passport and legal documents except my bloomen UK Driving Licence ( I had forgot about that)

At 16:00 today I am due to go to the Landratsamt, I have my UK passport, Meldebescheinigung, photos, and the old paper UK driving licence address on it is still okish cos my family still lives there. I will also take along the Deedpoll paper.

I am mega panicking now they wont accept it! Who actually checks it the British Consulate? It has to be changed before Brexit date oct 31 2019

I exchanged mine, had to surrender my UK paper licence from 1995, cost something like 30 €, quite easy, had to call a second time a few weeks later to collect the new licence. I have had quite a lot to do with German Beamten, most of them are very helpful, even had some laughs.