Converting a UK driver's licence into a German one

203 posts in this topic

Looks like you go to Eichstätterstrasse, it's all much easier here in Erding but then Munich's so much bigger.

Why not ring them just to make sure?

I tried calling but my german let me down...

I think I will go directly to the Eichstatter Str office...Thanks Malt.

I just tried calling for you but they're closed for the day. The answer machine says you need an appointment to go on Tuesdays, I guess other days you don't.

OK, I finally got through to them:

Yes Eichstätterstrasse.

Sadly you now have to make an appointment in t'internet. They no longer take walk-ins.

Obviously there are some advantages for me living in an outback town like Erding (no appointments and very short waiting times to name but two).

No trouble, you're welcome.

I just finally logged into the Government Gateway website to check my pension contributions but decided to also check my driving licence, as I swapped to a German one 2 months ago and Germany took my old UK licence.

my record in Government Gateway says I still have a valid Uk licence. strange! 

I am not sure it's really that long in the scheme of things.   The info's got to find its way to the UK, be processed in Llandudno or wherever it is these days, and then that database itself has to be updated, and so on.   Also a process where it won't be the top priority for any of the parties.   How often might a local Ordnungsamt bother to collate / package deleted EU driving licence info and send it to the other 27 states  - once a month max, perhaps? 

...maybe it never will :lol:  I am registered on the govt gateway thingy but never look at it, mainly because whenever I did, after being encouraged to do so for some reason (most likely to do with pensions), it invariably said "you do not live in the UK so we can't tell you whatever it is you want to know" :rolleyes:.    I should perhaps take another look when I have time.

It showed me my pension info straight away, and knew that I live abroad, so perhaps they’ve updated it since you last looked. 

On 2/12/2018, 10:11:28, Gwaptiva said:

It was so easy, I was checking for candid cameras

A few people have posted on this over the last year, but to keep it current I thought I'd add my own experience from this morning. I agree entirely with @Gwaptiva. I parked at the Amt at 9am and was all done and dusted before 9:20. Meldebescheinigung, UK Licence, Passport and €29.90 was all that was necessary. The authorities took copies of my UK documents and licence, and let me keep my UK licence. There was no issue with them maintaining all the odd categories of vehicle from my old-style UK licence either (minibuses and lorries with trailers etc). 

Like most expats, I find some of the German admin a pain at times, but this really couldn't be any easier. 

12 minutes ago, dstanners said:

A few people have posted on this over the last year, but to keep it current I thought I'd add my own experience from this morning. I agree entirely with @Gwaptiva. I parked at the Amt at 9am and was all done and dusted before 9:20. Meldebescheinigung, UK Licence, Passport and €29.90 was all that was necessary. The authorities took copies of my UK documents and licence, and let me keep my UK licence. There was no issue with them maintaining all the odd categories of vehicle from my old-style UK licence either (minibuses and lorries with trailers etc). 

Like most expats, I find some of the German admin a pain at times, but this really couldn't be any easier. 

I assume you're talking about the application side of the process, right? You still need to wait for them to process it. 

I applied last June. Yes it was pretty seamless. I received a letter just before Christmas to say my DE licence is ready to pick up at an office in Mitte. I'll go get it sometime soon

@CustomX

Did you just turn up at the Amt or did you book an appointment first? If you just turned up where was the Amt? From what I can see in Munich I have to have an appointment to be able to exchange my UK licence but they won´t give me one until early March. Which is cutting it a bit close to Brexit.

I completed this and picked up my licence this week Sn0wman, it is all about appointments in Munich now.

Just before Christmas I went in for my appointment to convert, the chap said he couldn't verify my licence online, so has to take it in and get it checked. Less than 2 weeks later I saw on the KVR website - and received the letter - that it was ready for pick up. I then had to make another appointment to pick it up and these are every 5 minutes or so - annoyingly the next available slot was a good month away, but on Monday this week, I was in the Garmischer Str office near Heimeranplatz to pick it up, I was in and out in about 2 minutes and spent longer waiting for the appointment than it took! Still it was better than pulling a number and waiting for hours.

On 1/17/2019, 1:28:05, dstanners said:

There was no issue with them maintaining all the odd categories of vehicle from my old-style UK licence either (minibuses and lorries with trailers etc). 

If you had any D category on your UK licence it will not be on your German licence.

In addition, C1 and C1E will only be valid until your 50th Birthday.

On 1/17/2019, 1:36:13, CustomX said:

I received a letter just before Christmas to say my DE licence is ready to pick up at an office in Mitte. I'll go get it sometime soon

I'd check the address if I was you, Puttkamerstraße is where you collect your licence and it's in Kreuzberg.

On 1/17/2019, 7:01:45, Sn0wman said:

@CustomX

Did you just turn up at the Amt or did you book an appointment first? If you just turned up where was the Amt? From what I can see in Munich I have to have an appointment to be able to exchange my UK licence but they won´t give me one until early March. Which is cutting it a bit close to Brexit.

Sorry only logging in now for the first time in a while. I had to make an appointment to make the application last June. Prenzlauer Berg. Took almost 7 months before I got the letter to say it was ready to pick up. Picked it up last week. Was a painful 1 hour + wait in the crappy Putkammerstraße office.  

On 3/4/2019, 9:11:19, CustomX said:

Sorry only logging in now for the first time in a while. I had to make an appointment to make the application last June. Prenzlauer Berg. Took almost 7 months before I got the letter to say it was ready to pick up. Picked it up last week. Was a painful 1 hour + wait in the crappy Putkammerstraße office.  

Hi CustomX,

Can you share what you had to do to get it converted, and did you make an appointment online via this link? It doesn't seem to show dates available at all.

https://service.berlin.de/terminvereinbarung/termin/day/1554069600/

Thanks

Hi

I thought I´d just update everyone on this. So I managed to get an appointment in Munich to change my drivers licence. Only it turned out I had the wrong abmeldbestatigung, I needed the one which said which country I was in before I arrived in Germany. Anyway they gave me an appointment a week later so not the end of the world. The following week I gave it all in, handed over my UK licence and just had to wait. They give you a reference number so you can check up on the status, though you need to make an appointment to pick it up. So I would recommend already getting that booked in as it seems to be a 4 week waiting list to just get an appointment to pick it up. 

Interesting enough Munich is allowing the Brits to do it by post if you can´t get an appointment in time for the 12th April: https://www.muenchen.de/rathaus/Stadtverwaltung/Kreisverwaltungsreferat/Auslaenderwesen/Brexit.html

On 4. März 2019 um 21:11:19, CustomX said:

Took almost 7 months before I got the letter to say it was ready to pick up. Picked it up last week. Was a painful 1 hour + wait in the crappy Putkammerstraße office.  

Didn't you bring a coffee and croissant 🤗? It's valid for 15 years, so you don't come there again any time soon.

Anyway, Munich is much quicker.

@Sn0wman: that is a change then. A few years ago you didn't need an appointment just to pick it up. I just went. Everything is online nowadays: no more Eastern European situations (Zustände) like before :).