Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is Rostock a dangerous place to live?

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am an indian, i got job in rostock. I want to go there, but i heard its a very dangerous place in german. What do you think ??

I haven't heard of any problems. There are more and more foreigners coming here because of the Uni. I have seen other Indians here, as well as the fact I work with 2 Africans. I haven't heard of any problems though they are aware of things here. There is a store on Doberaner Straße that is operated by neo nazis but they are mostly bothered by the leftist. From my coworkers I haven't heard of any problems but this can happen anywhere in Germany, I haven't found Rostock to be all that dangerous, though I always stay on alert being an English speaker and not being able to speak German well. Then again I came from a city in the US that was in the top 10 of the most dangerous cities. So I am always a little slightly paranoid.

Rostock is safe. It has always been a port city and relies increasingly on tourists and I think even in the relatively short time I've been around here then there seems to be an increase in the number of non-white faces around (although still fewer than in most cities in the old Bundesländer). Yes there's the usual village idiots you find anywhere, but I can't remember seeing any reports of serious (or even any) race-motivated crimes.

I can't remember seeing any reports of serious (or even any) race-motivated crimes.

You don't have a good memory, then.

August of '92, Lichtenhagen, Rostock, anyone?

My family and I have lived here quite awhile and with me being half hispanic, believe me, my family and I don't blend in, but have yet to have any problems with living in the Rostock area.

Actually, I've just remembered that '33-'45 wasn't great for race relations around these parts either. Maybe you'd better go to Munich instead?

The question was "Is Rostock a dangerous place for a foregner to live" and my answer must be that Rostock is no more dangerous than anywhere else and considerably less so than some of the places I have been to in nearly 20 years of world travels. Which is one of the reasons I choose to live here.

I am an older person, admittedly I don't stand out in a crowd but once I open my mouth my origins are obvious. However in 5 years I have only had one incident of being called 'Auslander' and that from a person who was 'a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic' to use an Aussie expression. More to be pitied than anything else. I have never felt unsafe here, even at night. There are places I would not go alone but that applies to anywhere unless you are a complete idiot. In general the citizens of port cities are very welcoming to and tolerant of people from different races and cultures. They have had plenty of practice with seafarers and Rostock is no exception.

Please, lets just answer the question in the present context and forget the past. Or do some people like to stir up old hatreds ? Amber is right, things have changed. There is no place for intolerance and xenophobia here.

I am an indian, i got job in rostock. I want to go there, but i heard its a very dangerous place

Was I the only one who immediately thought of Borat when reading this?

Gerald Asamoah, the Ghanaian-born German footballer was racially abused in Rostock in 2006. Many black players face monkey chants when they place in Rostock. I don't know how much that says about the whole place.

Well now we have Agali and Waku Menga on our team...I have been to quite a few games this season and have not heard anything like that. Actually I have seen the Suptras with a big sign that said Victor Agali...so things appear to be changing.

rostock was a dangerous city...when i was 16 guys from my school went out at night to rob others (and it was a good school) at the wallgraben, wich is still dangerous at night

after 89 there were no childs born here, so nowadays there are no young people except students here, so there are no nazis :)

now i am 31 and back in rostock after many years in other countries, and rostock IS safer than any city in brazil and most of the citys in the states.

and in india i was 8 months and there people stole a lot in the sleeper trains ;)

...if you look black or indian stay out of the getthos at nighttime, in the city center you will be safe tough (except wallgraben).

Everywhere we have good and evil. Rostock was under East Germany influence and still now, it is not much developed, compared with other part of Germany. Sometimes it is hard for the locals to accept new, when they are living in some kind of tradition for long. But things will slowly be improved, I believe so.