Beginner's advice on taking up jogging

117 posts in this topic

hi all,

I've read about the benefits of running online and all that, so I'd like to get myself some advice before starting.

I am a total beginner and have no idea how to go about it, especially now that it's so cold outside.

Do people warm up before going out? *I have a pretty skinny body so I'm afraid of catching flu the same day I do if I don't wear something warm*

What kind of gear is best for it (shorts/tracksuit bottoms/etc.)? Should I invest in a good pair of trainers?

Cheers for the help,

sodax

:lol:

You know what.. you just go out and jog!!! Trainers, warm trousers and a scarf, eventually... if you are the bored type, take your mp3 player, too.. just in case you might get bored or something.

Hahaha, what a question... :rolleyes:

the link that sandra posted is a good one - from the couch to the 5k. I did it and it slowly builds your endurance up over time. Check it out. You can even download a podcast to go with it - complete w/ techno music and a snappy little voice that tells you "keep going!" "almost there!" "run through your heels!" ;)

i know it may have been a stupid post, but i just wanted to ask people who'd been doing it for longer :)

thanks a lot for the tips!

If you get a taste for running, getting a decent pair of trainers is definitely recommended. I clocked up loads of miles before discovering that I had flat feet and was running in really rubbish shoes. I just thought sharp pains in the knees were par for the course...

A decent running store will have a treadmill/gait analysis thingy so they can advise on the right trainers for you. I noticed one at Kaufhof on Alexanderplatz.

Have fun!

Don't be put off by the cynics. It's easy really; just a matter of left-leg, right-leg, left-leg. right-leg and so on. Every now and again you can change that to right, left, just for a little variety. Oh and don't forget to swing your arms in a semi-boxing style. It seems to be part of the process. I'm SO pleased you'll be doing this without Nordic sticks. Have you considered Jugging ? That's the profitable variety, and consists of mugging other joggers while you're out, but then sticks are better. Have fun.

If you get a taste for running, getting a decent pair of trainers is definitely recommended an absolute must never ever to be crossed on pain of torture at the knee.

This cannot be overstated. You have one pair of knees, and if you fuck them up, you can't go to Sportscheck to get a new pair. If you intend on going the very least bit serious (i.e. running 5k a time, 3 times a week or so), get the best you can afford. That and a good training plan if you can't make out one on your own.

The rest is luxury. Yeah, dress nice and snug, but you want to put money in the shoes, not in the posh running outfits. Of course posh outfits are nice to have, with all the gorey-gorey and the synthetic feel-good layers, but that's just luxury. Unless, that is, you're out to hunt hotties in the park, but then you should chance the thread's title.

Runners Point has those tracking devices which test your pronation so you can get a decent pair based stride style.

Winter running is all about layering properly. That, and willing yourself to go do it.

I know some advocate stretching before and after, but I absolutely always stretch before. I only do the after if I push myself really really really hard. So, if you're just starting, you'll probably be doing that, so stretch before and after. I always find the before more important.

I'm personally anti-headphones though...

OK, so I've just started and have got a set programme to follow which is done by time and not by distance... but I want to know the distance and have just tried to work it out on Google Maps but it took ages and annoyed me- do any regular runners know of a route calculator which is easy to plot your route and work out how far you have run? Either one that you run with or one that you work out on the computer afterwards? Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

I've read about the benefits of running online

well it's generally not raining there, for a start.

OK, so I've just started and have got a set programme to follow which is done by time and not by distance... but I want to know the distance and have just tried to work it out on Google Maps but it took ages and annoyed me- do any regular runners know of a route calculator which is easy to plot your route and work out how far you have run? Either one that you run with or one that you work out on the computer afterwards? Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

I am more of a gym fan this time of year, but i do run occasionally. Before I had my GPS phone I used the mapmyrun.com website. Now I use the ex-Nokia Sportstracker.com site. You upload your GPX into it and it does the rest for you.

Cool, thanks Jeremy- that sounds ideal, might check if there is a blackberry app.

hi all,

I've read about the benefits of running online and all that,

well it's generally not raining there, for a start.

One of the reasons I enjoy surfing online as well, no need to get wet. Never tried running online though...

LinsAM: you might want to check out runkeeper.com

From that "Couch to 5k" link:

Each session should take about 20 or 30 minutes, three times a week.

?!?! Where the hell does that time magically appear from? I get up early, do a long commute, work all day, commute home, cook the kids some dinner, put them to bed, cook the wife some dinner, eat - and it is already 10PM. No way on god's good earth that I am going to go out jogging at that time of night. In fact, I normally fall asleep shortly after eating.

If someone is just trying it out I say just take whatever you got and step outside the door, no need to look fancy or have awesome shoes the first week. Then if you like it, have a look at some proper shoes. For distance measurement etc I use a Garmin GPS watch, it's really a good motivatioonal tool but not necessary from start.

When you're used to running it might be fun to set up goals. I find it a reason to keep on going out there when I'd rather stay inside where it's warm.

My personal goal for this year is to do 10km under 45min, this will be very very tough to reach for me as I'm nowhere near that time now!