Art supplies stores

33 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of any good shops that have a good supply paints (acrylic )and brushes?

I am finding it hard to track somewhere down..

thanks!

Motorama shopping "mall", Rosenheimerstr. near Gaststeig. Look for the Hit and Subway signs as well as the ads for Hong Kong Market.

They ain't cheap but the selection's pretty good.

Edit: Oops. Didn't realise you're in Berlin.

woof.

And I'm fairly sure Berlin has a Boesner.

www.Boesner.com

EDIT:

12277 Berlin Marienfelde

Nunsdorfer Ring 2-10

Tel: ... 030 720083-3

Fax: .. 030 720083-55

Opening hours:

Mo-Fr 9.30-18.00

We 9.30-20.00

Sa 10.30-16.00

two places:

Bosner on mariendorferstrasse has the biggest selection in town.

also there is an art store on kastanienallee. north side of the street about 4 blocks west from prater biergarten. it is smaller than bosner, but still a good selection decent prices and very helpful staff. they sell oil and solvents in jugs that have a pfand, which is nice, you just bring it back and they reuse it.

edit: you're fast, mulah.

Wedding or Friedrichstein

well which one is it? :)

nothing in wedding afaik

there's an art store on the north side of warschauer, passed by but never checked in.

it's worth a trip to check out bosner.

Some of the larger department stores such as Wertheim Steglitz, or even Obi, have an art supplies (small) section in their Schreibwaren (writing material) dept.

Also Zeichen-Center Ebeling, Trifftstr 39,13353 Bln,

Farben Kacza, Oranienstr 173, Kreuzberg (they might only have pigments but it's a nice place to visit)

Ferdinand Braune Künstlerbedarf, Grünewaldstr 87, Schöneberg (Kleistpark U-Bahn)

The largest is Boesner, Nunsdorfer Ring, miles from nowhere, but there's a bus ... also an online shop

Künstlerbedarf PROPOLIS

Oranienstr. 19a, 10999 Berlin

Tel. 615 24 64

E-Mail: propolis_farben@yahoo.de

www.propolis-farben.de

if you use powdered pigment, this place is the real deal. i got a half kilo of prussian blue powder for 5 euro (on sale) ... and 5 liters powdered BIO-gesso for 7euro (compare to ~30 euro for a 5L bucket of synthetic gesso at bosner). they have hundreds of colors available. it's an old mom & pop place and the couple who run it are exceedingly nice and helpful, unlike the bosner help who usually aren't so knowledgeable about the products they carry.. go to propolis and support a local business.

there's another color shop on oranienstrasse, block and a half to the north, on the left side, street level downstairs, that has a good selection of powdered pigments as well.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

I have just moved to Berlin from England to enjoy the creative artistic scene and would like to know the best place to pick up art supplies, mainly oil paint, brushes, paper and canvases. I have just graduated from university and so am on a budget, are there any good cheap student shops that I could go to? I would need the address as I am new to the city.

... actually that's modulo.de ... modulo is expensive, and they don't cater to painters. they carry a lot of interesting specialized materials commonly used by architects and such.

If you want good prices then you need to shop around. Here's what I've found.

The biggest art supplies store is Boesner. It's in P-berg in Mariannenstrasse. They're not cheap, but they have a big selection. The help at Boesner haven't been able to answer my questions about their products in sufficient detail. But their gesso is good and brushes are reasonably priced.

For canvas and stretchers, better priced and higher quality than Boesner, CMYK on Dieffenbachstrasse, Kreuzberg.

If you're a tape freak like me, Berlin has a dedicated tape store, Klebeland!. Location Kreuzberg.

There are two paint stores on Oranienstrasse, Kreuzberg. One, Kacza, has a decent supply of powdered pigments at good prices. The other, Propolis, is an alchemist's dream if you like powdered pigments. The guy who runs the place is very knowledgable, down to earth and loves to talk about material. I've learned more about paint in that store than I did in uni :lol:

Thank you, that was incredibly useful and helpful. It is nice to know there are helpful and friendly people when you are starting out in Berlin! I went to Modulo, but you're right, it was more arts and craft not a painters shop. I mentioned Boesner to a local and they raved about it, saying it was the best paint supply shop in the whole of Europe! Thanks again!

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

I need some supplies including A2 glossy paper/card, some pallete knives, masking tape, spray paint(7 colours including black, white and clear) and a painting mask and I don't want to pay a fortune for it all.

Does anyone good cheap sources of any of the above. The paper and the paint most specifically as I'll be going through a lot of this.

Thank you in advance.

C.

the place on wilmersdorfer str is called IDEE, it has lots of supplies. It's in the small shopping center with TK Maxx and Media Markt right outside the Ubahn

In Kreuzberg I can really recommend Kunstmalerbedarf CYM, Dieffenbachstr. 16, 10967 Berlin for drawing and paintings supplies. In Wedding there is another great place for paintings supplies especially, that will build custom canvases and deliver! It is called Peter's, Gottschedstraße 26, 13357 Berlin.

And just a short pitch on my own behalf! I am teaching a Drawing Class through the Berlin Collective. It is especially well suited for beginners, but those with more experience could also benefit. The focus is on drawing from observation. For more information visit the Berlin Collective website or contact me at miraob@gmail.com

The next class will start in January, but it is also possible to attend the current class. Classes meet in Kreuzberg.

best

Mira

Does anyone know where I can get raw canvas in Berlin? In Vancouver you could just buy it off rolls and pay by the foot, and if I could find that it would be perfect! I've only found stuff that is already primed and that doesn't work for my projects. Any help is greatly appreiated :)