Cycling partners sought / bicycle touring

120 posts in this topic

HI,

Is anyone cycling using foldie here? I'm new and bought my 20" foldie from home for leisure rides. Simple 8 gears for rides along maybe Isar. WOuld be interested to find out if anyone is keen to cycle on weekends.

Cheers ..

Check out the "Cycling tours around Munich" thread. It´s every Sunday and sometimes along the isar. All kinds of bikes are o.k.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=129536&st=0

Was wondering whether there are people out there who want to do a few rides with a road bike while the weather is still somewhat nice. I am not a hard-core rider, i.e. ave. 25km/h according to my bike computer for a ride, ~30km/h flat with no wind, but do like climbs and to push myself a bit. 50-60kms would be a decent distance. Any takers, pm me and we can figure out a good time.

I'm going to trip from Munich to Verona in May 2013 with my friends. Who knows how can I do it on the bikes? There are the questions.

I bought a nice guide to this route in hugenduble. I would be surprised if you couldn't find it there again or something similar. Globe fritter at isartour also has a good selection. The simple route over the brenner pass is very easy. I would do smth more challenging if I was to go again. Either way dont miss brixen it's pretty and stay at the youth hostel in Verona. It's great.

Hi I am looking for some people to ride with on a regular basis. 50 Km plus rides once or twice a week would be great to start out. I would say I am beginning to intermediate level cyclist looking to do some tours around europe in the future. Let me know if anyone would like to crank out some miles. Thanks

hi xis10ial, count me in! i love cycling and in the intermediate level as well. in the summer normally i do log about 80km a week(not at a stretch). im also trying to figure a cycling trip in portugal north to south coast. keep in touch would like to hear your plans.

Definitely keep an eye on the thread siskebap linked to above.

We generally go out for 50-60 km in the core part of the ride, at moderate to leisurely (depending on your fitness level) pace, with three stops for food and intoxication. In addition, some of us like to wake up early and ride the extra 25 to 35km to the start point and then ride an extra 25-35km back from the end point. So you can generally get anywhere in the range of 50 to 120 km in a day if you want.

Also a great way to meet those of us who like to catch midweek cycling down the Isar mtb trails, or go on overnight trips, or go on long day-rides (we hit 172km this past year on our long ride... hoping to up the ante).

@vdt153 Sounds great, my work schedule is kinda all over the place but if you have a time that works for you I can work something out. @ justruss I have checked out the link above but my bike does not fit the requirements of the rides. If they were less exclusionary I would be down to roll with you guys.

@Gen The post states "No skinny tires. The bike must have both brakes working and gears."

My bike Fails on all three. If you bring up safety as a reason for said exclusions then what about the stoping to drink component?

those are really just precautionary limitations... there have been people who ride skinny tires on those trips and have had no problems.

though the no skinny tire precaution CAN be emphasized or even mandated sometimes, depending on the trip and type of terrain we ride that week...

so... just keep a look out each week for the link to the route.

now on the other hand, the brakes thing... we do ride some stuff that goes downhill rather quickly and having working brakes front and back is kind of a safety thing. if you cant stop, thats a problem... for you and for us...

the stopping to drink thing... we like to make "pit stops" if you will... you dont necessarilly have to imbibe... but we usually do/will.

First off, if the list is merely, one of recommendations, I read it wrong and I am looking forward to crashing the party sometime. Second, stoping is not a problem I ride my bike almost every day for commuting, fun and exercise; stoping is somewhat necessary. Lastly, I am not condemning drinking, it just seems a little "have your cake and eat it too" if you preach safety for disallowing certain bikes while encouraging another somewhat risky behavior.

Just sign up in advance -- "crashing the party" is unwelcome, as spaces are generally limited (20 is sometimes the max number the group leader is willing to cram on the sbahn). The brake thing could have been phrased as "you must be able to stop reliably", but I don't think anyone's interested in actually testing. There's a fellow who does come regularly on a fixie. And lights, which you haven't mentioned, are a legal requirement, and lots of us end up riding home in the dark.

Actually, I believe the brake line was instituted because there was a particular incident where someone showed up with brakes that patently did not work. Someone better versed in the history may elaborate.

First off, if the list is merely, one of recommendations, I read it wrong and I am looking forward to crashing the party sometime. Second, stoping is not a problem I ride my bike almost every day for commuting, fun and exercise; stoping is somewhat necessary. Lastly, I am not condemning drinking, it just seems a little "have your cake and eat it too" if you preach safety for disallowing certain bikes while encouraging another somewhat risky behavior.

Yeah, I do most of the rides on a '76 Peugeot PR-10 w/ 25mm totally smooth (by design) tires. But I can also bunny hop that over a downed tree on a single track path. And have. The point is mainly that road bikes and skinny tires are not the preferred equipment for some of the routes we take, which might involve 20% loose gravel/rocky paths in addition to roads-- but if you're game, have the skills, or are stupid enough (that's me) it'll be OK unless the leader specifically prohibits it (for instance, not really fun to try to get up a 700m uphill where most people on mtbs are walking... on loose gravel without a granny gear; the leader of that ride might just disallow skinny tires for this kind of ride, which might happen once or twice the whole season). I think the tire thing is less about safety than it is about creating hassles for the leader if people get in over their heads and need to walk/drop out midway. The lights/working brakes (or fixie) is about safety to the rest of the group if we're riding near one another.

And there are a few fixie riders, and other oddballs who show up with folders and small diameter tires.

Nobody is forced to eat, drink, or partake in the rather crude and immature humor we pedal. And I reckon the beer is safer than the post-haxn stupor.

But it's damn fun day out. And we sometimes make a swim stop.

It may sound rule-bound, but we're actually very laid back. And the main thing is that those who lead the rides put a lot of time and effort into planning routes, good food/beverage stops, train times, etc-- and they do this for free/lose money on the deal-- so we want to make it as stress free as possible for them.

Sounds good thanks for all the info. I look forward to the next ride. If anyone is down to ride before March then let me know.

Hi Guys!I'm just move in to Munich and looking for company to cycle on the road racing bike on Sundays. I'm new on this forum, so leave my email in case someone would like to contact me - potixu@gmail.com. Thanks!

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for riding partners as well. I ride a few days a week (including Sundays) as I'm training for an Ironman. I usually try to average around 27-30 km/h speed for a 2-3 hour ride. Please PM me if you're interested.

Hi, looking for company (and thereby, motivation) to do 20km/hour 90-140km /day long rides around Bayern. Available Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and some Thursdays during the summer and fall.

Wildly easy-going about weather, routes , surfaces or who is leading whom. Would love to find regular, like-minded riding partner(s) . PM or email at pyrchick@aol.com